Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

R.I.P. William F. Buckley

Old 02-27-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

R.I.P. William F. Buckley

William F. Buckley Jr. (1925-2008) [Kathryn Jean Lopez]

I’m devastated to report that our dear friend, mentor, leader, and founder William F. Buckley Jr., died overnight in his study in Stamford, Connecticut.

After year of illness, he died while at work; if he had been given a choice on how to depart this world, I suspect that would have been exactly it. At home, still devoted to the war of ideas.

As you might expect, we’ll have much more to say here and in NR in the coming days and weeks and months. For now: Thank you, Bill. God bless you, now with your dear Pat. Our deepest condolences to Christopher and the rest of the Buckley family. And our fervent prayer that we continue to do WFB’s life’s work justice.

http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...E2MTYxOWZkZjc=
I had one of his word-a-day calendars years ago. Man, it was hard trying to work them into everyday conversation.

I've been meaning to read some of his books (specifically God and Man at Yale) for quite some time now.
Old 02-27-08, 10:33 AM

Wow.

I used to read his columns all the time when I was growing up. A giant of 20th century American political thought.

R.I.P.
Old 02-27-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A huge loss, I really hate to hear this.

R.I.P
Old 02-27-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sad to hear this.

R.I.P.
Old 02-27-08, 11:49 AM
Suspended

It's always a tragedy when a life is cut short, irregardless of ideology.

E
Old 02-27-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I recall seeing a clip of when he was on Rowan and Martin's "Laugh In." He said he was grateful for being flown out for the show -- especially since his airplane had two right wings.

Mr. Buckley
Old 02-27-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4

E
He was 82. How old would he have to be before it is not considered a tragedy?
Old 02-27-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I seldom if ever agreed with him, but I always respected him. Godspeed, Mr. Buckley.
Old 02-27-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Didn't know of this until reading your post. Time presses on and people I grew up liking hit the exit. Makes me sad.
Old 02-27-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4

E
Yeah who expects to only live to 82?
Old 02-27-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

“Marijuana never kicks down your door in the middle of the night. Marijuana never locks up sick and dying people, does not suppress medical research, does not peek in bedroom windows. Even if one takes every reefer madness allegation of the prohibitionists at face value, marijuana prohibition has done far more harm to far more people than marijuana ever could.”

–William F. Buckley, Jr.

RIP
Old 02-27-08, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Great quote.
Old 02-27-08, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Great quote.
Sure, it highlights a different side of WFB... but I'm not sure, if I were looking for an epitath, that that would be the one I would choose...

In the time of Obama, maybe this gem:

“Idealism is fine, but as it approaches reality, the costs become prohibitive.”
Old 02-27-08, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by NCMojo
Sure, it highlights a different side of WFB... but I'm not sure, if I were looking for an epitath, that that would be the one I would choose...
“It Tastes Awful, And It Works”
Old 02-27-08, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It seems like along time since I have seen him on a politcal talk show or maybe because I dont watch them anymore. I did think he was kind of interesting in his view point when I saw him but kind of a pompas ass at other times.

Old 02-28-08, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by ernestrp
It seems like along time since I have seen him on a politcal talk show or maybe because I dont watch them anymore. I did think he was kind of interesting in his view point when I saw him but kind of a pompas ass at other times.

It's probably a good thing you don't watch them anymore. If you thought Buckley was a pompous ass, you should see the loudmouths who represent the conservative side on most talk shows nowadays.
Old 02-28-08, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, William F. Buckley was a pompous ass, but at least he dealt with facts. He honestly believed in what he was peddling, as opposed to this new breed of quote-unquote "conservative commentators" (Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, ad nauseum) who are more interested in breeding hate then discussion.
Old 02-28-08, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk God

He was too much a fan of Barry for my tastes.

However - I did enjoy the debates he used to have.

He was smart.
Old 02-28-08, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, William F. Buckley was a pompous ass, but at least he dealt with facts. He honestly believed in what he was peddling,
I got that impression too...that he honestly believed in what he was saying.

...as opposed to this new breed of quote-unquote "conservative commentators" (Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, ad nauseum) who are more interested in breeding hate then discussion.
For some reason they seem like teens who have run of the house for the weekend while mom and dad are away.
Old 02-28-08, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I liked the fact that he forced me to break out a dictionary if I ever came across something he wrote.
Old 02-28-08, 10:23 AM
Banned

Yeah, William F. Buckley was a pompous ass, but at least he dealt with facts. He honestly believed in what he was peddling, as opposed to this new breed of quote-unquote "conservative commentators" (Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, ad nauseum) who are more interested in breeding hate then discussion.
Really admired Buckley's ability to state his position eloquently & shared his conservative views on most things. However, he could often come across as a pompous ass...which, by the way, he often used to great effect in debates. His assumed air of superiority drove his opponents crazy & often made them grow shrill, defensive, and off their game.

I understand your (and others') allusions to Limbaugh & Coulter as self-promoting (even "breeding hate", although many times Coulter hits the mark logically...she just does it in a very confrontational way). I don't understand all the hate for Sean Hannity, who (IMHO) keeps a cheerful demeanor which normally shows respect for the opponents' right to speak without shouting over him/her...also a reliance on facts, even if his interpretation doesn't agree with yours. Certainly, his "hate-breeding" can't begin to rise to the level of Al Franken, George Carlin, Bill Mahrer, etc. I would compare him more to Michael Kinsey...more of a provocateur than "hate-monger". I suspect that he gets lumped in with O'Reilly, Limbaugh, and the others because he's highly successful...I mean, does anyone really care what his talk-show 'partner' Alan Colmes really think?
Old 02-28-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by creekdipper
I understand your (and others') allusions to Limbaugh & Coulter as self-promoting (even "breeding hate", although many times Coulter hits the mark logically...she just does it in a very confrontational way). I don't understand all the hate for Sean Hannity, who (IMHO) keeps a cheerful demeanor which normally shows respect for the opponents' right to speak without shouting over him/her...also a reliance on facts, even if his interpretation doesn't agree with yours. Certainly, his "hate-breeding" can't begin to rise to the level of Al Franken, George Carlin, Bill Mahrer, etc. I would compare him more to Michael Kinsey...more of a provocateur than "hate-monger". I suspect that he gets lumped in with O'Reilly, Limbaugh, and the others because he's highly successful...I mean, does anyone really care what his talk-show 'partner' Alan Colmes really think?
Sorry... you lost me at "Coulter hits the mark logically".
Old 02-28-08, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"I'd rather entrust the government of the United States to the first 400 people listed in the Boston telephone directory than to the faculty of Harvard University."

William F. Buckley, Jr.
Old 02-28-08, 07:03 PM

So was I alone in thinking that was the oatmeal guy?
Old 02-29-08, 12:41 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
He was 82. How old would he have to be before it is not considered a tragedy?
It's a subjective matter.

E

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.