Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Global YouTube Outage: Pakistan Wanted To Stop Anti-Islam Message

Old 02-26-08, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Global YouTube Outage: Pakistan Wanted To Stop Anti-Islam Message

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23339712

NEW YORK - Most of the world's Internet users lost access to YouTube for several hours Sunday after an attempt by Pakistan's government to block access domestically affected other countries.

The outage highlighted yet another of the Internet's vulnerabilities, coming less than a month after broken fiber-optic cables in the Mediterranean took Egypt off line and caused communications problems from the Middle East to India.

An Internet expert likened the cause of the outage to "identity theft" by a Pakistani telecommunications company, which accidentally started advertising itself as the fastest route to YouTube. But instead of serving up videos of skateboarding dogs, it sent the traffic into oblivion.

On Friday, the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority ordered 70 Internet service providers to block access to YouTube.com, because of anti-Islamic movies on the video-sharing site, which is owned by Google Inc.

The authority did not specify what the offensive material was, but a PTA official said the ban concerned a trailer for an upcoming film by Dutch lawmaker Geert Wilders, who has said he plans to release a movie portraying Islam as fascist and prone to inciting violence against women and homosexuals.

[and we can now add freedom of expression and freedom from religion to this list]

The block was intended to cover only Pakistan, but extended to about two-thirds of the global Internet population, starting at 1:47 p.m. ET Sunday, according to Renesys Corp., a Manchester, N.H., firm that keeps track of the pathways of the Internet for telecommunications companies and other clients.

The greatest effect was in Asia, were the outage lasted for up to two hours, Renesys said.

YouTube confirmed the outage on Monday, saying it was caused by a network in Pakistan.

"We are investigating and working with others in the Internet community to prevent this from happening again," YouTube said in an e-mailed statement.

A YouTube spokeswoman did not immediately respond to an e-mailed question on whether the clips that offended Pakistan's government had been removed. Several clips with interviews of Wilders were still up on the site Monday afternoon.

Two apparent errors allowed the outage to propagate beyond Pakistan, according to Todd Underwood, vice president and general manager of Internet community services at Renesys.

------

Yeah, I'm sure this was an accident.
Old 02-26-08, 12:14 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I was wondering what had happened. It happend to video google too.
Old 02-26-08, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I noticed the youtube outage too. I assumed it was just a technical glitch----but it was the Pakistani government? Hmmmm....perhaps I've been underestimating the threat that political Islam poses to Western freedoms.......

I'll have to redouble my efforts on bringing that subject to light on this forum.
Old 02-26-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still don't quite understand how they managed to cause the global outage. Having ISPs block a site seems simple enough.

I seriously hope YouTube puts the slamdown on the Pakistani government. Sue them for loss of revenue and everything.
Old 02-26-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
I'll have to redouble my efforts on bringing that subject to light on this forum.
Perhaps you should find a thread to post articles regarding that subject.
Old 02-26-08, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Perhaps you should find a thread to post articles regarding that subject.
I'll see if I can find one.
Old 02-26-08, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ranger
I still don't quite understand how they managed to cause the global outage. Having ISPs block a site seems simple enough.
From what I understand, the Pakastani government decided to block YouTube by changing the DNS record at the Pakastani national ISP. No one seems to know yet how that propogated throughout the entire internet.
Old 02-26-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It kind of scares me how easily Pakistan was able to take down youtube. I think we should counter attack them and make every web page they open be youtube.
Old 02-26-08, 10:13 PM

There are skateboarding dogs?
Old 02-26-08, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ranger

I seriously hope YouTube puts the slamdown on the Pakistani government. Sue them for loss of revenue and everything.
They didn't block it in a firewall sort of way where they just block traffic from reaching youtube. pakistan telecom essentially claimed the DNS records, basically saying "Follow this route to get to youtube", which they then just blackholed into their network. The problem is one of their peering partners (PCCW in hong kong) accepted that new route as valid, and started advertising it to it's peers. It then just propagates across the net, as other ISP's accepted the route as valid, since they tend to trust what the others are saying.
Old 02-27-08, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan
There are skateboarding dogs?
Welcome to the internet! Enjoy your stay.