Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Why Does One Presidential Candidate Campaign By First Name?

Old 02-21-08, 03:18 AM
Banned

Why Does One Presidential Candidate Campaign By First Name?

Just a curiosity. Although many candidates have slogans utilizing their first names (Huckabee's "I Like Mike", etc.), it seems odd to me that the "official" name used in Clinton's campaign (the name emphasized on almost all of her rally signs and the name by which she is commonly referred, even by the press) is "Hillary". Is this a gender thing, an attempt to soften her image, or is it an attempt to distance herself from the Clinton name?

I just don't see comparable signs saying "Barack For Presidnent", "John For President", etc. It would seem a little silly...but why do we accept the same for the female candidate? Do any females see this as being condescending? Or did this just happen because the public got accustomed to referring to her by her first name during the Clintonian era?
Old 02-21-08, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I vote "B", "at least she's not Bill."
Old 02-21-08, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To avoid confusion with President Bill Clinton -- pro and con.
Old 02-21-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk God

I would think that "Clinton" would help her, actually. My guess is that it is meant to soften her image as a shrill bitch and try to make her likable. Most candidates (Presidential, Senate, House) are very nice to talk to. Even if you hate their views, most are very good at endearing people to them. That is why they go out and campaign so much. Them talking to people works. I think Bill would have been great to hang out with. Bush as well. But I don't think anyone talks about Hillary as warm, casual, friendly, endearing, etc.
Old 02-21-08, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd guess to differentiate her from Bill.
Old 02-21-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk God

It would be funny if she did all this to distiguish herself from Bill, because I believe her best chance at success would have been to exploit him. But, I also believe her campaign and decision to run was completely motivated by ego, so I can see why she didn't go that route.
Old 02-21-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i figure it is similar to Bush 43 emphasizing the W in his name.
Old 02-22-08, 02:25 AM
Banned

Thanks for offering your opinions. Admittedly, this was just a point of curiosity rather than a discussion of a serious issue that affects anyone else's lives.

The consensus seems to be that it was done mainly to distinguish herself from the former President...the "W" analogy seems to be particularly relevant.
Old 02-22-08, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For some reason Gore & Hillary refused to bring up the 90's and the success Bill Clinton had as president. I am a republican, and did not vote for Bill in either '92 or '96, but he was a popular president who presided over an good economy and left office with a budget surplus. Why wouldn't these candidates talk about the success of the 90's?

I understand that Hillary & Gore were trying to step out of the shadow Bill, and especially by going by Hillary, she was trying to be her own candidate, but I think the greatest argument Hillary could have made was, "The 90's were a boom time in the American Economy, and now we have a possible recession and a 400 billion dollar budget deficit, I want to continue my husbands economic policies that the Republicans veered off of in the last 8 years."
Old 02-22-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk God

That may get her elected, but it would not get her what she wants.
Old 02-22-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wait, Hillary is Bill Clinton's wife? I would never had guessed that.
Old 02-22-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
That may get her elected, but it would not get her what she wants.
Don't worry, I'm sure there will be male interns in the White House, and the Sequel could be called:

"The B*tch Strikes Back"
Old 02-29-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

It was done to soften her image and to make her more approachable. It has nothing to do with her sex and everything to do with her husband and reputation (underserved or otherwise) of being a "shrill bitch" as kvr put it so succinctly.

Remember her campaign website when it launched? It had Hillary "at home" having a "conversation" with you about what she wanted to do for America. Very soft. The lack of surname on her placards follows that.
Old 02-29-08, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus
It was done to soften her image and to make her more approachable. It has nothing to do with her sex and everything to do with her husband and reputation (underserved or otherwise) of being a "shrill bitch" as kvr put it so succinctly.