Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Spielberg boycotts 2008 Olympic role as advisor

Old 02-12-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spielberg boycotts 2008 Olympic role as advisor

If I remember correctly, Mia Farrow publicly chastised Spielberg a couple of weeks ago for taking on the role and being indifferent towards China's participation of the continued massacre.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7242016.stm

US film director Steven Spielberg has withdrawn as an artistic adviser to the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.
In a statement, he accused China of not doing enough to pressure its ally Sudan to end the "continuing human suffering" in the troubled western Darfur region.

"I find that my conscience will not allow me to continue business as usual," said Mr Spielberg.

At least 200,000 people have been killed and two million forced from their homes in the five-year conflict.

In a statement, Mr Spielberg said: "At this point, my time and energy must be spent not on Olympic ceremonies, but on doing all I can to help bring an end to the unspeakable crimes against humanity that continue to be committed in Darfur."
Old 02-12-08, 04:46 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Empty gesture by someone who makes millions of $ playing make-believe.
Old 02-12-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bhk
So long as it makes him feeeeel good, that's what counts!!
Old 02-12-08, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Good for him. It may be an empty gesture, but it is an issue that needs enough of those to at least get some attention.
Old 02-12-08, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mia Farrow is still alive?
Old 02-12-08, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bhk
I thought you were pro-Capitalism.
Old 02-12-08, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally Posted by Cardiac161
If I remember correctly, Mia Farrow publicly chastised Spielberg a couple of weeks ago for taking on the role and being indifferent towards China's participation of the continued massacre.

At least 200,000 people have been killed and two million forced from their homes in the five-year conflict.

In a statement, Mr Spielberg said: "At this point, my time and energy must be spent not on Olympic ceremonies, but on doing all I can to help bring an end to the unspeakable crimes against humanity that continue to be committed in Darfur."

[non-]Participation in Darfur is probably at the bottom of the list of things that I would criticize China for - in all seriousness. No need to bring up any of their domestic massacres or instability issues I suppose.
Old 02-13-08, 02:18 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I'm not saying it's wrong to make money from playing make-believe. Just saying that Spielberg makes money because he's good at it and is overestimating his importance.
Old 02-13-08, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bhk
Originally Posted by Numanoid
It's akin to Julia Roberts going before Congress and pleading for tax money for medical research, rather than ponying-up a small percentage of her own millions to help solve the problem. That's what the gummy-mint does best, they solve problems, right?
Old 02-13-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How is that related at all? Spielberg isn't asking the govt to give money.
Old 02-13-08, 03:03 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Venusian
Yes. I don't see it similar at all. It is comical to see people like Sally Field and Jessica Lange give testimony on farm issues in front of Congress because they pretended they were part of a farm family for a movie but it has nothing to do with this.
Old 02-13-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Venusian
Clooney has. It's the next big struggle for them to tackle.
Old 02-13-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
It's akin to Julia Roberts going before Congress and pleading for tax money for medical research, rather than ponying-up a small percentage of her own millions to help solve the problem. That's what the gummy-mint does best, they solve problems, right?
I'm curious about how you know what Julia Roberts has ponied up to help solve problems? From all reports I've been able to find, she has been very active in philanthropic activities.
Old 02-13-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
I'm curious about how you know what Julia Roberts has ponied up to help solve problems? From all reports I've been able to find, she has been very active in philanthropic activities.
Good for her. Then why does she need to go before Congress and ask for money? Why not work on solving the problem yourself instead of expecting the government to "fix" everything?

If I believe in a cause, I donate...I won't start a non-profit and expect the gov't to remedy said cause.
Old 02-15-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I take it all of you are against our government spending money anywhere? Like Iraq, Israel, Afghanistan, etc...Or is it just wrong when it's for Humanitarian reasons?
Old 02-15-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
So I take it all of you are against our government spending money anywhere? Like Iraq, Israel, Afghanistan, etc...Or is it just wrong when it's for Humanitarian reasons?
Our Constitution allows for a military, seeing as it's, ya know, necessary to maintain our freedom/independence and all that pesky crap. Nowhere does is mention humanitarianism.
Old 02-15-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Our Constitution allows for a military, seeing as it's, ya know, necessary to maintain our freedom/independence and all that pesky crap. Nowhere does is mention humanitarianism.

I'm all in favor of DEFENSE...To protect OUR country against REAL threats. Not allowing the complete destruction of a country (Iraq) for no reason other than removing a "bad guy" that GWB didn't like.
Old 02-15-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm all in favor of DEFENSE...To protect OUR country against REAL threats. Not allowing the complete destruction of a country (Iraq) for no reason other than removing a "bad guy" that GWB didn't like.
You: Fighting and unjust war under false pretense

Me: Take the fight to the terrorists who flew planes into buildings killing my fellow Americans.

I guess we have different definitions of DEFENSE We'll just have to agree to disagree.

/Debate
Old 02-15-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Me: Take the fight to the terrorists who flew planes into buildings killing my fellow Americans.

I guess we have different definitions of DEFENSE We'll just have to agree to disagree.

/Debate
So Saddam and Iraq were responsible for 9/11?

Do you have any idea how discredited that idea is?
Old 02-15-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

/Debate
I would have no problem going after the folks responsible for 9/11. You're telling me, we did that in Iraq?
Old 02-15-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
So Saddam and Iraq were responsible for 9/11?
When did I mention Saddam or Iraq being responsible for 9/11/01?
Old 02-15-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would have no problem going after the folks responsible for 9/11. You're telling me, we did that in Iraq?
Yap. Or would you rather have to deal with more of their bullshit on our shores?
Old 02-15-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm pretty sure those terrorists died on 9/11.
Old 02-15-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
I'm pretty sure those terrorists died on 9/11.
Ah...so the threat's been neutralized, right?

So...the ones that died on 9/11, these are the same guys responsible for the USS Cole and the WTC back in the early 90s, right? Same 19 guys fuckin' with our shit for decades. But now they're ash. *phew* Glad to see that's over and done with.
Old 02-15-08, 02:20 PM

Why are we discussing Iraq/9-11 in a China/Darfur/Spielberg thread?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.