Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

MMVIII presidential election, part IX

Old 02-08-08, 02:01 PM

MMVIII presidential election, part IX

Continue, if you must.

ETA: <a href = "http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=523761">Here is part VIII</a> - thanks Tracer Bullet.

Last edited by wendersfan; 02-08-08 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-08-08, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It'll be very interesting when this thread (or series of threads) starts hitting double digits- which mod has the best Roman numeral skills?
Old 02-08-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Continue, if you must.
You've got nine more months of closing these threads and opening new ones to look forward to. We ought to start a pool on how many election threads we wind up with (I'm laying odds on "2008 presidential election, part LXVII").
Old 02-08-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why not have threads dedicated to each individual party?
Old 02-08-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
You've got nine more months of closing these threads and opening new ones to look forward to. We ought to start a pool on how many election threads we wind up with (I'm laying odds on "2008 presidential election, part LXVII").
I thought of doing that, but now it's just going to look like I'm aping you.
Old 02-08-08, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
Why not have threads dedicated to each individual party?
Because no one here colors within the lines.
Old 02-08-08, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk God

I certainly would support the idea of a 'bash the Republicans' thread. I'm certain others would also be in support.

No 'bash the Democrats' thread should be allowed though.

Old 02-08-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by classicman2
I certainly would support the idea of a 'bash the Republicans' thread. I'm certain others would also be in support.

No 'bash the Democrats' thread should be allowed though.

Well, duh!
Old 02-08-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A "Bash the Democrat Presidential Nominee" thread would be pretty sweet...every response to a Republican poster would either be cries of racism or sexism
Old 02-08-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
A "Bash the Democrat Presidential Nominee" thread would be pretty sweet...
From what I've been reading, that's pretty much what this thread is for.
Old 02-08-08, 02:56 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
It'll be very interesting when this thread (or series of threads) starts hitting double digits- which mod has the best Roman numeral skills?
Unless it gets to more than 42 threads, I can just trace back the letter thingies next to the Super Bowls and I'll be fine.
Old 02-08-08, 02:58 PM
Admin-Thanos

As wild as it sounds, we may make it to 20 threads. Part 8 took about 10 days to max out and shut down. You people are crazy.
Old 02-08-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega
As wild as it sounds, we may make it to 20 threads. Part 8 took about 10 days to max out and shut down. You people are crazy.

or bored, lazy, unproductive and lonely
Old 02-08-08, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega
To be fair, part 8 covered SUPER TUESDAY. It was SUPER. Wow!

The real fun will begin once the conventions are over and we're debating "Keyes vs. Gravel".
Old 02-08-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Title change...
Old 02-08-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Now I see that the Clintons have pimped out Chelsea to do some work for them..

Actually David Shuster said that earlier today and got suspended for it

Sorry but I think once a candidates husband/wife/daughter/son/pet-goat goes around politicking they are fair game.
Old 02-08-08, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by General Zod
Now I see that the Clintons have pimped out Chelsea to do some work for them..

Actually David Shuster said that earlier today and got suspended for it

Sorry but I think once a candidates husband/wife/daughter/son/pet-goat goes around politicking they are fair game.
I've heard people say that Shuster's point is that it's unfair for the Clintons to continue to insist that Chelsea is off-limits to the media at the same time she's campaigning for Senator Clinton, and if that's what he's saying, it's a fair criticism.

But the clips I saw made it look like he was questioning the very fact that Chelsea is campaigning for her mother. As if other candidates don't have their relatives, including their children, out campaigning for them. If that was his point, it's inane and stupid.

And his use of the term "pimping" is just unfortunate. Shuster is young enough that I don't think he meant it with any sexual connotation, but the Clinton camp is seizing on this as evidence of a misogynistic bias against the Senator. And, of course, some people wonder whether the Clinton camp really took the comments as misogynistic, or if they are simply cynically exploiting a poor use of an evolving colloquialism.

What's really funny is the reaction from the liberal blogosphere. Half of the reaction is "you go, girl" support of Senator Clinton. Half of it is outrage that she's boycotting MSNBC over this even as she's demanding that Senator Obama debate her on Fox News.
Old 02-08-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I've heard people say that Shuster's point is that it's unfair for the Clintons to continue to insist that Chelsea is off-limits to the media at the same time she's campaigning for Senator Clinton, and if that's what he's saying, it's a fair criticism.

But the clips I saw made it look like he was questioning the very fact that Chelsea is campaigning for her mother. As if other candidates don't have their relatives, including their children, out campaigning for them. If that was his point, it's inane and stupid.
I think he meant the former. If he meant the latter than I completely agree with you that it was just stupid.

And his use of the term "pimping" is just unfortunate. Shuster is young enough that I don't think he meant it with any sexual connotation, but the Clinton camp is seizing on this as evidence of a misogynistic bias against the Senator. And, of course, some people wonder whether the Clinton camp really took the comments as misogynistic, or if they are simply cynically exploiting a poor use of an evolving colloquialism.
Magniloquently put. I couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 02-08-08, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Shuster got suspended for that?! Oh for the love of.......

Shuster seems pretty liberal too and is a pretty high profile guy on MSNBC - on a lot of their programs. I think it's pretty stupid for the Clintons to go after him.
Old 02-08-08, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Shuster got suspended for that?! Oh for the love of.......
I suspect Shuster really got suspended because women and/or Clinton supporters were already upset over Chris Matthews statement of the other week that Senator Clinton only got elected in the first place because her husband cheated on her. MSNBC can't afford to suspend Matthews, but they can certainly get by without Shuster for a few weeks. Suspending him (they hope) makes it look like they're taking the allegations of misogyny seriously and defuses the situation.
Old 02-08-08, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone think Hillary's had some work done?

Old 02-08-08, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk God

He should have been suspended.

He should have been suspended when he made the comparison with Ron Paul & al quaeda.

He's supposed to be a reporter - not a comedian.

Candidates use family members to campaign for them all the time.

Red Dog,

Shuster works for Chris Matthews. Let's not glorify his position.
Old 02-08-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Dan Abrams (and sometimes Tucker Carlson) are about the only 'news show' personalities on MSNBC that have any credibility left, IMO.

Abrams tries to achieve some balance on his show. The same can't be said for the others, beginning with Morning Joe.
Old 02-08-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't like Shuster's politics. He regularly belittles Republicans, but when he belittles the Clintons, heaven forfend. To pick this particular point and issue (he did, after all, speak the truth) to suspend is ridiculous. He was hosting "Tucker" last night when he made the comment - an opinion show, not a newscast.
Old 02-08-08, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk God

He was filling in. He is a reporter for NBC.

If Tim Russert appears on Hardball and makes such a comment, do you give him a pass with the excuse that it's an opinion show?

You may want to give him a pass, I don't.

As I said in post #22, this is not the first time Shuster has crossed the line.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.