Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: What do you think of the things that Larry Liston said?
I agree with him.
41.03%
I agree with him, except for his use of the word "slut."
23.08%
I disagree with him.
35.90%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Colorado Springs legislator labels unmarried teen parents 'sluts'

Old 02-07-08, 03:51 PM
Political Exile

I agree with Larry Liston. The sense of shame that used to exist in the past is now gone. And that's a change for the worse.

However, I would not have used the word "slut." That's the one part I don't agree with. Some unmarried teen parents are monogamous, so they aren't "sluts." But I still agree with everything else that he said. And I think it's great that he blamed the males and not just the females.

Stella Garza Hicks saying it's the government's fault for not spending enough money on sex education is wrong. There's more sex education today than ever before.

Also, while she said his comment is "offensive," she didn't actually say that his statement is false. I think that's interesting. When you can't argue based on facts, some people try to change the subject by claiming they are "offended."

Lorez Meinhold said shame doesn't affect values and behavior. She's wrong.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008...e-teen-parent/

Associated Press

February 7, 2008

COLORADO SPRINGS — A state lawmaker used a derogatory term Wednesday to describe unmarried teen parents as sexually promiscuous and complained that society condones premarital sex.

“In my parents’ day and age, (unmarried teen parents) were sent away, they were shunned, they were called what they are,” Colorado Springs Republican Rep. Larry Liston said during a GOP legislative caucus meeting in Denver. “There was at least a sense of shame.

“There’s no sense of shame today," Liston continued, according to the The Gazette of Colorado Springs. "Society condones it. ... I think it’s wrong. They’re sluts. And I don’t mean just the women. I mean the men, too.”

Rep. Stella Garza Hicks, who was at the meeting, said Liston should apologize.

“I feel that he owes the apology somewhere, whether it’s to the same group that he spoke to before or someone else,” she told The Gazette.

Garza Hicks, R-Colorado Springs, said she was “disturbed” and “offended” by the word but didn’t confront Liston at the time because she was so surprised to hear him use it.

Liston told The Gazette later he could have chosen his words better but believes many people feel the way he does.

He said he wanted to make the point that teens who can’t afford to take care of children can have them anyway and expect the government to pay for it. He said that often traps the parents and their children in a cycle of poverty without enough education.

Lorez Meinhold of the Colorado Health Foundation said shame has been shown have little impact on values and behavior. She said state leaders should focus instead on the scarcity of programs aimed at preventing teen pregnancy.

Garza Hicks said the state needs more prevention programs through schools and community groups, but she said the public must decide whether it wants to fund them.

“Sometimes it takes just a little more information, a little more education,” Garza Hicks said. “And we must not give up on them either.”
Old 02-07-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

he probably meant it in a good way
Old 02-07-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do I agree with his use of the word "slut" or do I simply think it was stupid of him to actually vocalize it? Hmmm...
Old 02-07-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

With a sharpie?
Old 02-07-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

“In my parents’ day and age, (unmarried teen parents) were sent away, they were shunned, they were called what they are,” Colorado Springs Republican Rep. Larry Liston said during a GOP legislative caucus meeting in Denver. There was at least a sense of shame."

A have a good name for him: Douchebag.
Old 02-07-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm curious if he is as critical and judgemental of males who are promiscuous as females who are.
Old 02-07-08, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was one of those "sluts" who was sent away 27 years ago, and I would not recommend that approach in any case.
Old 02-07-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Say it like it is Larry!
Old 02-07-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman
Say it like it is Larry!
As if he's so knowledgeable about it. Those "good old days" he's pining for didn't really put much of an onus on the FATHER of a baby born out of wedlock. Sure, the mother got put on the next train out of town, but the father pretty much walked free, unless the girl's father wiped the smile off his face with a baseball bat.

Last edited by Vibiana; 02-07-08 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-07-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If God didn't want teenaged girls to get pregnant, he would have made them hit menarche at age 20.
Old 02-07-08, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I'm curious if he is as critical and judgmental of males who are promiscuous as females who are.
It says so in the article. Not sure that's 100% true, but he does throw that in there.
Old 02-07-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have no problems with the sentiment (except for the reminsicing about the 'good ol' days'...which weren't that great) and the idea that underage pregnancy results from people who are simply irresponsible.

However, calling them a "name" is not a great way to get a serious message across and he should know better.
Old 02-07-08, 09:22 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I'm curious if he is as critical and judgemental of males who are promiscuous as females who are.

He said, "I don’t mean just the women. I mean the men, too."
Old 02-07-08, 09:24 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Vibiana
I was one of those "sluts" who was sent away 27 years ago, and I would not recommend that approach in any case.
What do you think should be done for people in that situation today?
Old 02-07-08, 09:27 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Vibiana
Those "good old days" he's pining for didn't really put much of an onus on the FATHER of a baby born out of wedlock.
Sometimes the father of the baby had to be the groom in a shotgun wedding, so the baby wouldn't be born out of wedlock in the first place. That was a good policy, to the degree that it prevented the guy from getting the girl pregnant in the first place.
Old 02-07-08, 09:38 PM
Political Exile

Update!

He has apoligized for using the word, but still defends his original message.

I guess he must have read my post!

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_8198106

Lawmaker sorry for 'sluts' remark

By Tim Hoover

02/07/2008

After what some at the Capitol were calling a case of political foot-in-mouth disease, Rep. Larry Liston today apologized for calling unwed teenage parents "sluts."

"The derogatory term I used was offensive and inappropriate, and I would like to apologize for using it," the Colorado Springs Republican said in a statement. "Because of my unfortunate choice of language, the message that I was trying to get across about personal responsibility and parental responsibility has been overshadowed.

"I certainly regret using the term I did," he said.

Rep. Debbie Stafford, D-Aurora, said she was so livid over the comment that she clipped newspaper articles reporting Liston's remarks and posted them in a Capitol women's bathroom.

"To judge a young person trying to sort through their pain is one of the most appalling things I can think of," Stafford said. "As adults, we have an obligation to reach out and mentor and help young people who might be confused."

Liston's comments came during a presentation Wednesday before House Republicans from the Colorado Health Foundation, which reviewed a 2007 health report card for the state. Part of the discussion included teen pregnancy rates.

According to the Colorado Springs Gazette, Liston said: "In my parents' day and age, (unmarried teen parents) were sent away, they were shunned, they were called what they are. There was at least a sense of shame.

"There's no sense of shame today. Society condones it. I think it's wrong. They're sluts. And I don't mean just the women. I mean the men too."

By this afternoon, his remarks had spread across the Internet, even making The Drudge Report. Liston's words also ended up on a number of feminist blogs, where commentators said they were calling and e-mailing his office to register their displeasure.

At one point today, TV camera crews waited for Liston outside a hearing room for more than an hour to get a comment.

"I certainly could've used different words," he said.

The lawmaker said he only meant to suggest that unwed mothers and fathers should take more personal responsibility and that the number of out-of-wedlock births has risen significantly in the last several decades.

Liston said his comments also sparked a reaction from his wife.

"She advised me I probably could've come up with a different set of words," he said.
Old 02-07-08, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The legislator is absolutely right. We need to bring back the ol' days shame - make these unmarried teen parents wear signs with the letter A in red.

Irresponsible, reckless, and stupid are better terms than "slut."
Old 02-08-08, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by grundle
He said, "I don’t mean just the women. I mean the men, too."
Yeah - I saw what he said. Do you really believe him? His use of the word 'slut,' which is pretty much used exclusively to describe female behavior, makes his equal 'opportunity' statement dubious.

Plus - in his time, I doubt that the guy who knocked up the girl was ever shamed and "sent away."
Old 02-08-08, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I knew a lot of sluts when I was in high school.
Old 02-08-08, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

only reason for the shame back in the day was that society limited what women could do professionaly and financially so having a child early and unmarried was real bad

today women can do anything they want so being a single parent isn't that big a deal
Old 02-08-08, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree with him that getting pregnant as a teenager is irresponsible, so I can only assume that he supports rational sex education that emphasizes birth control and disease prevention through the use of condoms.
Old 02-08-08, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I agree with him that getting pregnant as a teenager is irresponsible, so I can only assume that he supports rational sex education that emphasizes birth control and disease prevention through the use of condoms.

I was going to ask what this guy's position on sex-ed, birth control and abortion are, but I think I have a good guess what they are already given his rant on sluts.
Old 02-08-08, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Do you also support mandatory eating in the cafeteria at schools and the putting of contraceptive powder into the girl's food?

Just asking.

Old 02-08-08, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2
Do you also support mandatory eating in the cafeteria at schools and the putting of contraceptive powder into the girl's food?

Just asking.

How does that have anything to do with teaching about condom use?

Would you agree that:

A) Teenagers are going to fuck no matter what adults say
B) Because of A, it's better to teach them about birth control and disease prevention instead of sticking our fingers in our ears and humming loudly?
Old 02-08-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk God

It has to do with the word 'mandatory.'

Do you support the idea that it should be required (mandatory) that students should take sex education classes where condom use is taught?

It's a simple civil liberties question.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.