Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

You're a conservative, are you voting for McCain?

Old 02-07-08, 07:53 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,074
You're a conservative, are you voting for McCain?

OK, it looks like McCain is going to get the Republican Nomination, and will either face Hillary of Obama. Come November, what are you going to do?

-Pull the lever for McCain because you always vote for a republican

-Pull the lever for Hillary or Obama, cause you cant fathom a McCain presidency?

-Sit this one out, and use it as a protest non-vote.

-Vote for a 3rd Party Candidate

Last edited by coli; 02-07-08 at 09:12 AM.
coli is offline  
Old 02-07-08, 07:56 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 286
Pull the lever for McCain because I'm anti Hillary.
enrage is offline  
Old 02-07-08, 07:57 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pleasantville - in black & white ;P
Posts: 5,970
I will vote third party or write in Dr Paul's name if I can.
mosquitobite is offline  
Old 02-07-08, 07:59 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,980
Depends on who is on the ballot...

either way, i'll probably vote for someone, even if it is the least evil again
Venusian is offline  
Old 02-07-08, 08:03 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
The first thing that needs to be done by the author of this thread is to define 'conservative.'

Conservative has a somewhat different meaning to mosquitobite than it does to Pharoh, for example.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 02-07-08, 08:06 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,101
Why only three options? WTF?
B.A. is offline  
Old 02-07-08, 08:11 AM
  #7  
Admin-Thanos
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 31,005
Originally Posted by B.A.
Why only three options? WTF?
And no poll?

BTW, not a Conservative and I am predicting that all you Conservatives will vote for McCain, McPain or whatever the cute little nickname is these days because you believe Hillary Clinton is the devil incarnate.
VinVega is offline  
Old 02-07-08, 08:12 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pleasantville - in black & white ;P
Posts: 5,970
Originally Posted by B.A.
Why only three options? WTF?
I agree, there should be a fourth "vote third party"

Some may consider that a protest vote, but in the case of a possible McCain/Hillary match up - I think the third party option will show the party elites just how far off they are from their base.

If the third party candidate gets 15%+ of the vote this year, that should tell the idiots in power something. It won't be a protest, it will be a way to be heard.
mosquitobite is offline  
Old 02-07-08, 08:14 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pleasantville - in black & white ;P
Posts: 5,970
Originally Posted by VinVega
And no poll?

BTW, not a Conservative and I am predicting that all you Conservatives will vote for McCain, McPain or whatever the cute little nickname is these days because you believe Hillary Clinton is the devil incarnate.
Shall we place yet another bet?

Most of us feel McCain is so similar to a Democrat, it doesn't really MATTER.

Hell, even the old "think about judges" isn't working so well for the party poo-bahs. The conservative base has been betrayed by McCain so many times, we just don't believe he won't betray us in the White House.

my 2 cents...
mosquitobite is offline  
Old 02-07-08, 08:15 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,101
Originally Posted by mosquitobite
I agree, there should be a fourth "vote third party"
Amen, sister!

B.A. is offline  
Old 02-07-08, 08:19 AM
  #11  
Admin-Thanos
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 31,005
Originally Posted by mosquitobite
Shall we place yet another bet?
It's not really fair to take money from an expecting mother.
VinVega is offline  
Old 02-07-08, 08:22 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pleasantville - in black & white ;P
Posts: 5,970
Originally Posted by VinVega
It's not really fair to take money from an expecting mother.
I'll take it from the baby's college fund
mosquitobite is offline  
Old 02-07-08, 08:23 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Posts: 13,846
I will probably vote 3rd party or write in. I am sure that it won't matter in my state. I am predicting a landslide for McCain just like there was for Bush the last 2 times.
orangecrush is offline  
Old 02-07-08, 08:25 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,518
Originally Posted by mosquitobite
I will vote third party or write in Dr Paul's name if I can.
Originally Posted by orangecrush18
I will probably vote 3rd party or write in.
"Go ahead, throw your vote away"

DVD Josh is offline  
Old 02-07-08, 08:33 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,467
Conservatives don't tend to complain much about Bush and they voted in droves for him, so I don't see why things should be any different with McCain.

And who is this mythical 3rd party candidate that conservatives are supposed to vote for? Ron Paul? Don't see it. Michael Bloomberg? Are you kidding? Who's left?
Red Dog is offline  
Old 02-07-08, 08:38 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
I've heard some analysts say that a Bloomberg candidacy would hurt the Democrats more than it would the Republicans.

I always thought it would hurt Republicans more.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 02-07-08, 08:38 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: MI
Posts: 25,041
OK, he's not much of a conservative, but there is little question that he is more conservative than either Hillary or Obama. Since I would really be unhappy if either of them won, I am not wasting my vote on a third party candidate. A vote for McCain is a vote against the candidate I REALLY don't want -- the usual lesser of evils choice. It seems like I've been voting "lesser of evils" for years.
OldDude is offline  
Old 02-07-08, 08:39 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Words
Posts: 28,207
Yes I am a conservative....and no I'm not voting for him. I'd rather vote for a 3rd party candidate or Dr. Paul than give him my vote (if Hillary is the opposition). If Obama runs....I may even vote for him because I think he'll do less damage, even though I disagree with 80% of his platform.
NotThatGuy is offline  
Old 02-07-08, 08:40 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Where is the option for conservative and voting for him because he's a good candidate?

Some of you are really letting the talking heads work you over on this one.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 02-07-08, 08:43 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Words
Posts: 28,207
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Where is the option for conservative and voting for him because he's a good candidate?

Some of you are really letting the talking heads work you over on this one.
That would need to not be a fantasy, or it'd be like voting for a Unicorn, as neither really exist.
NotThatGuy is offline  
Old 02-07-08, 08:44 AM
  #21  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 32,247
Originally Posted by OldDude
It seems like I've been voting "lesser of evils" for years.
Is there a politician for whom your vote would not be a "lesser of evils" vote? I think I've stated previously that former Massachusetts governor William Weld would be an example of someone I would vote <i>for</i>, with some enthusiasm actually.
wendersfan is offline  
Old 02-07-08, 08:47 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Tell me of the remaining Republican candidate (McCain, Romney, Huckabee, & Paul), which you do you believe is the most conservative?

I believe it's John McCain.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 02-07-08, 08:48 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,467
Originally Posted by wendersfan
Is there a politician for whom your vote would not be a "lesser of evils" vote? I think I've stated previously that former Massachusetts governor William Weld would be an example of someone I would vote <i>for</i>, with some enthusiasm actually.

How about former NM Governor Gary Johnson?
Red Dog is offline  
Old 02-07-08, 08:50 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
I don't believe any of our candidates (GOP or Dem.) are evil. Therefore, I don't have that problem.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 02-07-08, 08:51 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pleasantville - in black & white ;P
Posts: 5,970
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Conservatives don't tend to complain much about Bush and they voted in droves for him, so I don't see why things should be any different with McCain.
Um, not so with me I voted Badnarik in 2004 because I was HIGHLY disappointed in Bush. So did my Dad, in fact. Things AREN'T that different much with McCain than it was with Bush, and it's the primary reason I won't vote for McCain.

Originally Posted by Red Dog
And who is this mythical 3rd party candidate that conservatives are supposed to vote for? Ron Paul? Don't see it. Michael Bloomberg? Are you kidding? Who's left?
If I can't write in Dr Paul, I'll be voting for the Libertarian or Constitution party candidate. I don't care who he/she is, it'll be better than the 2 front running candidates.
mosquitobite is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.