Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Doc flees bomber patient

Old 02-04-08, 01:58 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Doc flees bomber patient

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/N...264395,00.html
Doc flees bomber patient
04/02/2008 18:17 - (SA)

Jerusalem - Dr Baruch Mandeltzwieg knelt down and ripped open the jacket of a critically wounded man from Monday's suicide bombing in Dimona to begin emergency treatment.

Instead of finding gushing blood, however, he was struck by another sight - an explosive belt.

The wounded man turned out to be a second suicide bomber who was knocked out by the force of the initial blast before he was able to detonate his own explosive belt.

"His head was moving. He was a patient who could be treated," Mandeltzwieg told Israel's army radio.

"We started to treat him and then we saw an explosive belt... I managed to see a small gas canister and small plastic bags attached to his body."

Mandeltzwieg, who had rushed to the scene along with nurses from a nearby medical clinic, ran as the second bomber began waving his arms.

Bleeding from his head

An Israeli policeman then shot the bomber at point-blank range and killed him, said police spokesperson Micky Rosenfeld.

Mandeltzwieg said there was no dilemma in treating the man.

"He was on the ground and was bleeding from his head. I thought he had a chance to live," he said. "I could have treated him, it didn't say on his forehead that he was a bomber."

And he said there was no dilemma in retreating when he discovered the explosive belt and his life was in danger.

"It was clear that he was a terrorist," he said.
It's a shame any Israelis died in the first bombing but in the case of the second would-be bomber, I like a happy ending.
Old 02-04-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good for him.
Old 02-04-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by bhk
I like a happy ending.
Good thing it didn't happen here. Not only would we have saved him but he'd probably be paraded around the campaign trail as a victim of the Bush administration.
Old 02-04-08, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bhk
I like a happy ending.
Originally Posted by General Zod
Good thing it didn't happen here. Not only would we have saved him but he'd probably be paraded around the campaign trail as a victim of the Bush administration.
Good thing it didn't happen here. The doctor would have been immediately taken into custody for attempted terrorism due to his initial efforts to administer medical treatment. He would be shipped off to Gitmo and tortured, and his family would never see him again.

Making up nonsensical straw men is fun!
Old 02-04-08, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

My straw man was more realistic than your straw man
Old 02-04-08, 04:27 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod
My straw man was more realistic than your straw man
Yours isn't a straw man at all. Military physicians have performed operations and given quite a lot of medical treatment at Giitmo to scum that wanted just a few months(years) ago to blow up as many of our soldiers as they could. And those same terrorists are used by leftist groups in our country as propaganda against Pres. Bush.
Old 02-04-08, 04:35 PM

Hold on -- this guy was still a danger -- he had the explosives strapped to his belt. The doctor would have been nuts not to run away.
Old 02-05-08, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is everything Bush's fault?!
Old 02-05-08, 02:33 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Hold on -- this guy was still a danger -- he had the explosives strapped to his belt. The doctor would have been nuts not to run away.
Reminds me of the time JCAHO was auditing our hospital. One of the auditors asked me:
"What steps would you take if you found out that there was a chemical spill nearby."

I told him: "pretty damn big ones".
Old 02-05-08, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
Is everything Bush's fault?!
I'm pretty firm in my belief that he wasn't responsible for the Irish potato famine.
Old 02-05-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I'm pretty firm in my belief that he wasn't responsible for the Irish potato famine.
Was that Dan Quayle?
Old 02-05-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Was that Dan Quayle?
You're thinking of the Irish potatoe famine.
Old 02-06-08, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

An Israeli policeman then shot the bomber at point-blank range and killed him, said police spokesperson Micky Rosenfeld.

Old 02-06-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

bhk, I think your intolerant Islamaphobia has prevented you from realizing that....

IT'S PARTY TIME!! :

Flowers and candy (Photo: Reuters)

Gazans hear of attack, hand out sweets

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...502572,00.html

VIDEO - As word of the suicide bombing in Dimona spread Monday, Gaza residents were treated to celebratory wreaths of flowers as well as sweets that were handed to drivers and passers-by.

Gaza motorists receiving the treats and sweets also honked their horns in triumph and celebration.

The "party" was somewhat marred when word spread that Abu Sa'ad, a senior member and spokesman for the Salah al-Din Brigades, the Popular Resistance Committees' military wing, was killed in an IDF attack in the northern Gaza Strip town of Beit Lahiya.

A Hamas member told Ynet that the joy in Gaza is heightened by the fact that these attacks were carried out in spite of the siege on Gaza and the stringent security measures imposed by Israel. “The Palestinian organizations can strike back against Israel in spite of the war waged against them,” he said.

The two Dimona bombers were Gaza residents, sources in the Strip told Ynet. Furthermore, several Palestinian organizations have claimed responsibility for the suicide bombing.

One of the bombers was identified as Mussa Arafat, a Khan Younis residents from the Abu Ali Mustafa Brigades, the military wing of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine. The second bomber is Lavway Lavwany, an activist in the al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, Fatah’s military wing.

The al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades, Fatah's military wing, the Abu Ali Mustafa Brigades, and the United Resistance Brigades have claimed responsibility for Monday's terror attack in Dimona, Hizbullah's television station al-Manar reported......