Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

For any Detroiters out there...

Old 01-31-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
For any Detroiters out there...

A buddy at work just built this...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0_ZevFbcIIo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0_ZevFbcIIo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 01-31-08, 03:38 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

What did the mayor do?
Old 01-31-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Originally Posted by bhk
What did the mayor do?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/30/det...yor/index.html
Old 01-31-08, 03:45 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish
Interesting that in that entire article there was no mention of the mayor's political affiliation.
Old 01-31-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bhk
What did the mayor do?
Cheated on his wife with his Chief of Staff, and then lied about it.
Old 01-31-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF
Cheated on his wife with his Chief of Staff, and then lied about it.
Before the Free Press printed the contents of tawdry text messages between Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and his chief of staff, Christine Beatty, and before the recent civil trial where the two officials denied under oath that they were romantically involved, there was this Metro Times story that first brought the allegations of infidelity to light. From the outset, Kilpatrick’s response has been to steadfastly deny any illicit behavior and attack his accusers as liars seeking a big payoff in court. And that gets to the core of what has always made this an important story — not allegations of philandering, but rather the actions of a mayor willing to ruin the careers of two police officers in order to protect his public image.
— Curt Guyette, 1/25/08
http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=6269
Old 03-24-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Update
Detroit mayor to face felony charges

DETROIT, Michigan (CNN) --
A Wayne County prosecutor said Monday she will seek felony charges against Detroit's embattled Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.

Kilpatrick, who is married, has been snarled in a well-publicized sex scandal since January after The Detroit Free Press reported he exchanged romantic text messages with his then-chief of staff, Christine Beatty.

The Detroit Free Press reported in January that in an analysis of nearly 14,000 text messages on Beatty's city-issued pager, it found some from 2002 and 2003 that indicated the two were having a romantic affair.

The newspaper report contradicted testimony Kilpatrick gave last August in a court case brought by police officers against the mayor and the city of Detroit alleging the mayor retaliated against the officers for their role in investigating his office. Critics alleged that Kilpatrick committed perjury in the case and called for his resignation.

In testimony during that case, Kilpatrick and Beatty both denied having a romantic relationship.

Prosecutor Kym Worthy said that "even children understand that lying is wrong. Witnesses must give truthful testimony."

Worthy said she will seek perjury, official misconduct and obstruction of justice charges.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/...ion/index.html
Old 03-24-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Kwame is finally getting what he's deserved for the last 5 years. Just wait until everyone attached to him starts going down in flames. This goes way beyond affairs and perjury. We have a potential involvement in the murder of a stripper as well. This is just the beginning. It's too bad because Detroit deserves better. But they voted him back in despite the controversies.
Old 03-24-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Loved the lawyer. "My client is innocent and if there IS any evidence, (that he's a lying cheating bastard, exactly as charged), I'll get it excluded."

The sad fact of our justice system is that the "whole truth" is not wanted and the jury is forbidden to hear it. Only the truth the CAN'T successfully be argued as inadmissible is desired in court. So, it's hard to say whether he will get away with it or not. Public opinion seems to have turned against him though. If he does skate free, I doubt he can win reelection next year.
Old 03-24-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's no way he's going to get away with this. His lawyers will try to get the text messages thrown out as evidence but there's no way that's going to happen. He's already tried to prevent them from being released to the public and that failed miserably. They were obtained legally. Even with his high profile lawyers, I truly believe that the evidence is so overwhelming. Kym Worthy is a fantastic prosecutor and she'll have no trouble putting him away.

Everything his lawyer said was laughable.

Last edited by Neil M.; 03-24-08 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-24-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bhk
Interesting that in that entire article there was no mention of the mayor's political affiliation.
Here you go; the Yahoo/Reuters article is willing to admit he is a Democrat. At least Kwame can't cry "racism" this time. The prosecutor is black too. A lot of the lawyers in the city's law department seem to have had active roles in the coverup and may get charged too, at least with obstruction of justice.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080324/...oit_mayor_dc_6
Detroit's Democratic mayor indicted in sex scandal By Kevin Krolicki
1 hour, 57 minutes ago

DETROIT (Reuters) - Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick was charged with perjury, obstruction of justice and official misconduct on Monday stemming from a sex scandal and the prominent Democrat's handling of an $8.4 million settlement of a whistle-blower lawsuit against the city.

The controversy surrounding the black politician once seen as a rising star in his party has deadlocked city government and could spill over to presidential politics and the issue of how the Democratic Party handles Michigan delegates still being contested by Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.

The eight-count criminal indictment announced by Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy included two counts of obstruction of justice and four counts of perjury. The perjury charges each carry a prison term of more than 15 years.

"The justice system was severely mocked and public trust was trampled on," said Worthy in a scolding rebuke of the embattled mayor.

Worthy said lawyers for the city of Detroit had attempted to thwart her two-month investigation and said some evidence had sought by prosecutors had gone missing or been destroyed.

Kilpatrick's former chief of staff, Christine Beatty, was also indicted for perjury and obstruction of justice. . . .
Old 03-24-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

At least Kwame can't cry "racism" this time.
He'll find a way.
Old 03-24-08, 06:55 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wishbon3
No mention of political party in this Ass Press article.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

I guess he didn't qualify for the Clinton pass on the perjury charges.
Old 03-24-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The perjury relates directly to the case of the cops he fired because their investigation was getting to close to his indiscretions. That unwarranted firing is the basis of the malfeasance charge. The perjury was intended to weaken their civil suit for monetary awards over the firing.

The obstruction and conspiracy relate to to trying to hide the perjury for several years. Plus the settlement with the cops cost the city $8+ million, when they indicated they were proposing to bring the text messages proving the perjury into the appeal process. (Kwame was appealing the verdict on the cops' suit which they had won. Kwame suddenly "lost interest" in the appeal and settled.

It really isn't a sex scandal. It is perjury, conspiracy, obstruction, and malfeasance; possibly embezzlement could be added (using city funds to settle the suit and cover wrongdoing), but it isn't charged (yet).
Old 03-24-08, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah everyone seems to be focusing on the sex scandal which really is the most insignificant aspect of the whole crime. This goes beyond just lying in a courtroom. You have a corrupt police force where no one can investigate the mayor without fear of losing their job or worse. The reputations of two honest police officers were ruined by this mayor, he used taxpayer's money to cover up his affair, and there still is that question hanging out there about why Tamara Green is dead. I have my hunches but we'll wait for the evidence to come out. This city needs a big shake-up. It has too many corrupt people. This is just the beginning.
Old 03-24-08, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For anyone who doesn't know who Tamara Green is....she's a stripper that was at an alleged wild party at the home of the mayor. She was supposedly assaulted by the mayor's wife because she was a little too close to the mayor and you know how jealous a woman can get. Tamara filed a police report after the incident. My memory is a little fuzzy on the time between events but she was tragically gunned down with her boyfriend sitting in the passenger seat. There were some theories that he was the intended target but the evidence didn't support it. Most of the bullets hit close to her. Plus, he says that they drove right past him for a second time and didn't shoot. The mayor denied that a party existed and it started this whole urban legend.
everyone knows it happened but there's no one to verify it, until recently. The state looked into it but half-assed because our attorney general is buddies with Kwame.
He's a republican and kwame's a democrat. It doesn't matter. Everyone is tied together. I'm not saying Mike Cox did anything illegal, he just may have not put his full effort into the matter. Now Mike Cox is seperating himself from Kwame, which is a good thing. Can't say the same thing of our governor.

Early in the investigation, documents went missing. Such as the assault report. Mike Cox investigated 55 people who were supposedly at the party and none of them said there was a party. He never questioned the mayor's wife, who was the center of the whole ordeal. For whatever reason, Kwame and Co. has tried to hide the truth from everyone. The bullets used to kill Tamara are the same caliber that is issued to police officers.

None of this was truly investigated. Any cop who tried to investigate was either moved to another department or fired. Text messages that were released today show that the mayor's chief of staff Christine Beatty talked to the chief of staff of the Police chief at that time. They specifically talk about firing one of the officers.

There are only 2 possible scenarios. 1. The mayor or anyone tied to him had nothing to do with the murder and he was just trying to protect him and his wife. 2. He or someone tied to him was involved with the murder and they attempted to thwart the investigation.

My problem with the whole thing is what did the mayor have to gain by denying the existence of the party if he truly had nothing to do with the murder? With the stripper dead, the assault charges would probably go away. If not, it would have been a slap on the wrist. With all the scandals this mayor has gone through, this would have been no big deal. Why would he put himself under suspicion of a murder case by lying about something that is almost a fact?

There is a $150 million lawsuit against the city of Detroit filed on behalf of the son of Tamara Green. His lawyer has asked for the text messages of many city employees on the night of the party and her murder. Hopefully, these will shed some light on the crime.

I've written all this but feel it is very incomplete. This story is such a long and sad one. I haven't even gotten to the other scandals. Kwame had such potential, but he chose to abuse his power. The sad fact is that alot of the evidence is probably long gone. No one may be charged with murder but there will at least be charges for those who tried to stop the investigation. This is really at the heart of the whole Kwame Kilpatrick story but no one wants to talk about it. It's starts with the party and will end with the party. The truth will come out once people start getting charged for their lies. The state is re-opening the case and the feds will likely start investigating if they already haven't. Stay tuned.....
Old 03-25-08, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As a native Michigander (I'm from GR, wife from Roseville, we used to live in Sterling Hts), I've followed this story on and off for the past few months. A few more points of interest IIRC (if not, someone please correct me)...

- The lawsuit filed by the two fired cops was eventually settled for $8.4 million plus attorney's fees. All of this is city money because it is directly job related. Kilpatrick didn't spend or lose a penny in this case. There was a chance to settle for several hundred thousand dollars early on, but Kilpatrick refused to do so. The final settlement was only reached after the text messages semi-surfaced, and the settlement included a clause that all involved parties conceal the existence of the text messages. It is only through the FoI Act that the Detroit Free Press eventually gained access to the text messages.

- If you read the text messages, there is no question that they directly contradict testimony given by the mayor during the trial, and I doubt that any word games (like the definition of "is" or "alone") will save him.

This will definitely get more interesting when people start talking. This isn't Clinton and Lewinsky, where Monica had to blab to Linda Tripp to create the problem, there are many, many people involved, and the prosecutor will go after all of them. I suspect that after the first few roll, the rest will have to offer up even bigger crimes to get any breaks, and this will be just the tip of the iceberg for Kilpatrick. I wonder whether the city will be able to sue to recover the money paid out in the settlement?
Old 03-25-08, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder whether the city will be able to sue to recover the money paid out in the settlement?
My guess is they eventually will. Everything Kwame did in regard to the settlement was illegal. They will probably sue the city lawyer's as well for entering into a secret confidentiality agreement. They acted to benefit an individual and not the city of Detroit on Detroit's dime. As far as I know, he is still using taxpayer money to retain these high price lawyers. So he may be commiting a crime as he's fighting others. I think the only reason he hasn't resigned is because he needs the access to money to pay for these lawyers. I know the Free Press uncovered that he spent $24,950 to pay one of his lawyers. That amount is just under the amount that would have to be approved by city council. He's learned alot in his time in office but he hasn't learned from his mistakes.
Old 03-25-08, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Curse that media. Without the help of DVDtalk, I could have never figured out that the black mayor of a city where 82% of the population is black is a Democrat.
Old 03-25-08, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Curse that media. Without the help of DVDtalk, I could have never figured out that the black mayor of a city where 82% of the population is black is a Democrat.
It may be higher. One of the black councilwomen said on TV that in a city where 90% of the population was black, City Council shouldn't be hiring a white lawyer.

Just because she is a racist doesn't mean her figure is wrong.
Old 03-25-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 03-25-08, 12:50 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I don't need to know all that useless demographic information. I figured out that he was a democrat because the media "forgot" to list his party affiliation in more than one article.
Old 03-25-08, 02:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bhk

I guess he didn't qualify for the Clinton pass on the perjury charges.
Or the Libby pass.....
Old 03-25-08, 03:39 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-b...mayor-democrat

None of the big 3 network news identify him as a democrat.

link has relevant quotes.
Old 03-25-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You must be the only person in America suspicious that Kwame is really a Republican.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.