Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The #1 most fraudulent "big dig" contractor is still eligible for govt contracts.

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: What do you think?
I agree with Ronald Reagan, who vetoed federal funding for this.
70.00%
I agree with George W. Bush, who signed federal funding for this.
30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

The #1 most fraudulent "big dig" contractor is still eligible for govt contracts.

Old 01-26-08, 11:12 AM
Political Exile

The #1 most fraudulent contractor in Boston's "big dig" is still eligible for government contracts.

I agree with Ronald Reagan's original veto in 1987. He said this was a waste of federal tax dollars. Congress overrode his veto.

Since then, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Ted Kennedy, and John Kerry have all voted for/signed the spending bills for it. It was more than 400% over budget, and full of leaks and defects.

Everyone who was in favor of the project knew about the waste, fraud, leaks, and defects, but continued to vote/sign for it anway.

Well now this new article says that the biggest, most fraudulent contractor involved is still eligible for government contracts. I think this is absolutely horrible. But I am not surprised by it. The "big dig" was always more about being a pork project than it was about being a construction project.

People hate to waste their own tax dollars. But they love to waste tax dollars that come from far away. The only reason to use federal tax dollars for this project was to encourage this kind of waste and fraud.

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/296783

Contractors to settle Boston Big Dig suit for $450M

Jan 23, 2008 02:56 PM

Denise Lavoie

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

BOSTON–Contractors will pay more than $450 million (dollar figures U.S.) to settle the state's lawsuit over a fatal tunnel collapse and to cover leaks and design flaws in the Big Dig, officials said Wednesday.

Bechtel/Parsons Brinckerhoff, the consortium that oversaw design and construction of the country's costliest public works project, has agreed to pay $407 million, U.S. Attorney Michael Sullivan said in announcing the deal. Several smaller companies will pay about $51 million collectively.

"The citizens of Massachusetts entrusted Bechtel/Parsons Brinckerhoff to act as their eyes and ears on the Central Artery Project," Sullivan said. "They grossly failed to meet their obligations and responsibilities to the citizens of Massachusetts and the United States."

Under the settlement, Bechtel/Parsons Brinckerhoff will not face criminal charges in the deadly Interstate 90 tunnel ceiling collapse in July 2006. Milena Del Valle, 39, of Boston, was crushed by about 23 tonnes of concrete as she and her husband drove to Logan International Airport.

The deal also does not bar the consortium from receiving future government contracts. Bechtel/Parsons Brinckerhoff was paid more than $2 billion to manage the project.

State officials will be able to seek additional damages from Bechtel/Parsons Brinckerhoff only if there is a catastrophic event, defined as causing more than $50 million in damages. Its liability will be capped at $100 million, and an arbitrator would decide whether the consortium was to blame.

The settlement does not have a direct effect on a separate lawsuit filed by Del Valle's family.

"We believe that today's global agreement is the best possible resolution. I do not say perfect, but the best possible resolution at this time," Attorney General Martha Coakley said.

Powers Fasteners Inc., the only company that has been criminally charged in the tunnel collapse, also is the only one out of 15 companies that has settled with the Del Valle family. Powers, which provided the epoxy blamed for the collapse, has agreed to pay the family $6 million.

The Brewster, N.Y.-based company, which has been charged with involuntary manslaughter, has denied responsibility for the collapse.

Max Stern, the company's lawyer in the criminal case, criticized the decision by prosecutors to allow Bechtel/Parsons Brinckerhoff, a multibillion-dollar consortium, to avoid criminal charges while pursuing charges against Powers, a smaller, family-owned business.

"Obviously, this is out of Powers' price range," Stern said of the $407 million settlement.

"The sheer size of this settlement underlines what we think is the undeniable fact that Bechtel bears the real responsibility for this accident. After all, Bechtel was responsible for the design, it was responsible for the construction and it was responsible for the inspection of the tunnel, and yet, it escapes all criminal charges."

If convicted, Powers faces a fine of $1,000, the maximum penalty for a company charged with manslaughter in Massachusetts. No individuals were indicted, but prosecutors did not rule out future indictments against individuals.

Del Valle's death sparked a flurry of finger-pointing and investigations.

The National Transportation Safety Board found that the wrong type of epoxy was used to hold up concrete ceiling panels that collapsed and fell on Del Valle's car. The NTSB concluded the collapse could have been avoided if designers and construction crews had considered that the epoxy holding support anchors for the panels could slowly pull away over time.
Old 01-26-08, 12:00 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

It would be interesting to find out how that company is connected to state and federal pols.
Old 01-26-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Massachusetts AG, Martha Coakley, has a plan to take care of Big Dig problems.

COAKLEY: We are uh... keeping our fingers crossed...
Old 01-26-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bhk
It would be interesting to find out how that company is connected to state and federal pols.
I'm not sure you'd be happy to find that out -- Bechtel is heavily connected to the Bush administration -- they're wound up with a lot of the no-bid work in Iraq and in the aftermath of Katrina. I'd guess they're second only to Halliburton on the list of Liberal bęte noire companies.

This is not to imply that they don't also have connections with Democrats and with Massachusetts state politicians.
Old 01-26-08, 02:57 PM
Banned

What what wonderful poll choices
Old 01-26-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cinten
You're new in Grundle threads huh?
Old 01-26-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i bet they are the only company that supports republicans in san francisco, which is their headquarters

they have been around for decades, they do a lot of work for governments and private industry and if they were barred there would be no one to replace them
Old 01-26-08, 03:51 PM

if they were barred there would be no one to replace them
Yup, and if Halliburton or KBR goes belly up, there won't be anyone left to take all those G'ment contracts and all that money will go to waste.
Old 01-26-08, 03:56 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by cinten

Thanks!
Old 01-26-08, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TimJS
Yup, and if Halliburton or KBR goes belly up, there won't be anyone left to take all those G'ment contracts and all that money will go to waste.

who else would build the nuclear waste facility at Yucca Mountain
Old 01-27-08, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Bechtel is one of the only other companies (only a handful of companies, and not all of the US-owned) in the world large enough to handle projects like KBR does for the US military in Iraq, Afghanistan and other countries.
Old 01-27-08, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
um, someone interested in the 3.1 billion dollar contract (over 5 years)?

I've heard the arguement that only such & such Co's can meet the terms of the contract, and imagine that if contracts are available and no one can meet, that situation will only exist for as long as it takes to assemble such a company.

Though, I think a far more likely scenario is that the contracts are engineered to exclude competitors who could meet the individual components of the contract.
Old 01-27-08, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

of course they are designed to exclude competitors, back in the clinton days it was give it to the lowest bidder and shady companies would win that would then do a bad job and cost the government a lot more in the end. that's why they made up no bid contracts in the 1990's
Old 01-27-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

of course they are designed to exclude competitors, back in the clinton days it was give it to the lowest bidder and shady companies would win that would then do a bad job and cost the government a lot more in the end. that's why they made up no bid contracts in the 1990's
Ahhhh, it's all Clinton's fault. What a surprise.
Old 01-27-08, 11:22 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF
I'm not sure you'd be happy to find that out -- Bechtel is heavily connected to the Bush administration -- they're wound up with a lot of the no-bid work in Iraq and in the aftermath of Katrina. I'd guess they're second only to Halliburton on the list of Liberal bęte noire companies.

This is not to imply that they don't also have connections with Democrats and with Massachusetts state politicians.
I just want to know. Esp. to state pols.
Old 01-27-08, 02:50 PM
Political Exile

That project is way over budget and way behind schedule.

I think storing nuclear waste at each plant is a better idea. The waste that each reactor makes each year is only 3 cubic meters, so there's plenty of room.

But if they insist on having one central storage location, they should hire France to do it. Because France already does that in their country, and it works very well.
Old 01-27-08, 02:54 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
Bechtel is one of the only other companies (only a handful of companies, and not all of the US-owned) in the world large enough to handle projects like KBR does for the US military in Iraq, Afghanistan and other countries.

So not only do they waste taxpayer money in the U.S., they also waste it all over the world.

The people of Iraq should run their own affairs - the U.S. should not be involved.
Old 01-27-08, 02:56 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by TimJS
um, someone interested in the 3.1 billion dollar contract (over 5 years)?

I've heard the arguement that only such & such Co's can meet the terms of the contract, and imagine that if contracts are available and no one can meet, that situation will only exist for as long as it takes to assemble such a company.

Though, I think a far more likely scenario is that the contracts are engineered to exclude competitors who could meet the individual components of the contract.

With all that money to make, I'm sure Donald Trump could do it.

Remember that New York City skating park. The government spent all that money and time "fixing" it, and when they were done, the park was worse off than when they started.

Then Trump came by, and he fixed it for 10% of the money and in 10% of the time.
Old 01-27-08, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jason
Ahhhh, it's all Clinton's fault. What a surprise.
one of his best policy decisions, or at least under him. getting rid of competative bidding when there is someone with experience to do it