Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

How the GOP can capture the Youth Vote

Old 01-24-08, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How the GOP can capture the Youth Vote

<embed width="425" height="373" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sSeW1LozDgs&rel=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed>

Not really sure what sort of discussion is to be had, just sharing.
Old 01-24-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What a tool.
Old 01-24-08, 08:41 PM

I don't know what it is about that guy, but I inherently distrust him. He's got a major used-car-salesman vibe happening.
Old 01-24-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know that I want to listen to a foundation that has a gramatically incorrect name.
Old 01-25-08, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This guy is a total moron if he actually believes the current conservative administration is practicing "small" government. He probably also believes that they don't spend a lot of money either. If the GOP wants someone to get youths to actually consider voting for them, they maybe wanna find someone a little less stupid. Actually, a lot less stupid.
Old 01-25-08, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why does he talk like a first-grade teacher reading a scary story to his class?
Old 01-25-08, 10:37 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Excellent message. The guy makes some nice points.
This guy is a total moron if he actually believes the current conservative administration is practicing "small" government. He probably also believes that they don't spend a lot of money either.
He never said anything like that at all.
If the GOP wants someone to get youths to actually consider voting for them, they maybe wanna find someone a little less stupid. Actually, a lot less stupid.
He didn't come across as stupid at all.
Old 01-25-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bhk
Excellent message. The guy makes some nice points.

He never said anything like that at all.

He didn't come across as stupid at all.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Old 01-25-08, 10:40 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
beauty is in the eye of the beholder
I don't see why someone trying to get young conservatives more involved in the political process is wrong. Judging by some of the comments, people seem threatened. I was right in that he never said anything about this current admin.
Old 01-25-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OMFG teh terrorism! OMFG teh welfare state! OMFG teh George Soros!

What a douche.
Old 01-25-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bhk
Judging by some of the comments, people seem threatened.

whatever
Old 01-25-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk God

I wasn't aware that there was a 'youth vote' to capture.
Old 01-25-08, 10:45 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I wasn't aware that there was a 'youth vote' to capture.
He said that the youth vote could account for around 25% of the electorate in 2008. I'm not sure about that stat, but seems important if true.
Old 01-25-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk God

This guy talks as is if he is cross between a young Howard Cosell and a white rapper.

Conservatives oppose government intervention in music and the internet? Since when?
Old 01-25-08, 10:53 AM

The reason why a higher percentage of young people voted in the primaries is because they are energized <i>against</i> the values of the Republican Party. While I have severe doubts that this energy will extend to November, if it does you can rest assured that young people will voter overwhelmingly Democratic this fall. Given that a 18- or 19-year old has experienced little else but the failures of the Bush administration since they were in elementary school, how could anyone expect them to support another Republican?
Old 01-25-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Young voters seem to like Ron Paul pretty good - I should say young people. I don't know whether they vote or not.

btw: When has any administration in the last 70 or so years practiced small government - whether Republican or Democrat?

The closest thing to it - maybe the Clinton Administration? Maybe not.
Old 01-25-08, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by classicman2
btw: When has any administration in the last 70 or so years practiced small government - whether Republican or Democrat?

The closest thing to it - maybe the Clinton Administration? Maybe not.

Looks like Clinton and Carter reduced the size of the Federal government. I guess the conclusion to be drawn is that if you want smaller government, vote for Democrats.

Oh, and before anyone thinks to bring it up, defense spending went up while Carter was president.
Old 01-25-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
This guy talks as is if he is cross between a young Howard Cosell and a white rapper.

Conservatives oppose government intervention in music and the internet? Since when?
Gore was the one questioning the musicians when the Parental Advisory stickers came out. It has been Leberman and Clinton that have sought to increase the government's oversight of violence in video games. The democrates have definatly been more to blame for intervention in music and video games (I don't know about the internet though. I think both parties are to be blamed for the DMCA.)
Old 01-25-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wendersfan
[

Oh, and before anyone thinks to bring it up, defense spending went up while Carter was president.
It most assuredly did.

If my memory hasn't failed me - the last defense budget that Carter proposed was greater in money amount than the first one that Reagan proposed. Remember - a central part of Reagan's 'platform' was rebuilding the military.
Old 01-25-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
Gore was the one questioning the musicians when the Parental Advisory stickers came out. It has been Leberman and Clinton that have sought to increase the government's oversight of violence in video games. The democrates have definatly been more to blame for intervention in music and video games (I don't know about the internet though. I think both parties are to be blamed for the DMCA.)

I knew somebody was going to bring this up.

Just because there are Democrats who are pro-censorship does not automatically make conservatives anti-censorship.

Both parties are guilty of taking pro-censorship positions. One of the reasons why I say there is little difference btwn them.
Old 01-25-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
I knew somebody was going to bring this up.

Just because there are Democrats who are pro-censorship does not automatically make conservatives anti-censorship.

Both parties are guilty of taking pro-censorship positions. One of the reasons why I say there is little difference btwn them.
I would say that historically Democrats have been more pro-censorship relating to music, movies and videogames. More recently the GOP has been much more pro-censoship (McCain-Fiengold), just not as much in the area of music, movies and videogames.
Old 01-25-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

haven't there been similar threads of how the GOP can capture the hispanic or black vote and so on? the old white man vote seems to be a lock.
Old 01-25-08, 12:46 PM

It's certainly not just Democrats:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=11070
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=11030
Old 01-25-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
haven't there been similar threads of how the GOP can capture the hispanic or black vote and so on? the old white man vote seems to be a lock.
Hmm!

And here I've thought all along that older Americans tend to vote Democratic.
Old 01-25-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
I would say that historically Democrats have been more pro-censorship relating to music, movies and videogames. More recently the GOP has been much more pro-censoship (McCain-Fiengold), just not as much in the area of music, movies and videogames.

It only seems that way because more well-known Democrats (the ones you mentioned) have taken up the censorship cause with music and video games.

The fact remains, to say that conservatives oppose government intervention in music and the internet is a flat out lie.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.