Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Video: Jonah Goldberg explains Liberal Fascism on The Daily Show

Old 01-18-08, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Video: Jonah Goldberg explains Liberal Fascism on The Daily Show

<embed FlashVars="videoId=147884" src='http://www.thedailyshow.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'></embed>

<embed width="425" height="373" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J30-eYb9SlE&rel=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed>

I'd have to agree with the guy. Like the video I posted in The New Political Spectrum thread, complete gov't control to the left of the spectrum and the further to the right to travel the less gov't intervention.

Thoughts?
Old 01-18-08, 02:38 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I'd have to actually read the book to find out what his point is.
Old 01-18-08, 02:47 AM

You agree with that guy? He got owned. They caught him cold fabricating outrage for profit. (i.e. Even if he's telling the truth about the contents of his book not drawing overt liberal-nazi parallels, the title/cover is commercial whoring at its finest.)
Old 01-18-08, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

TDS interview is just a mess. Between the edits and Jon going strait into attack mode I wouldn't have had a clue what the book was even about if I hadn't watched the H&C video while waiting for TDS to buffer. I'm surprised they didn't post the whole thing unedited online.
Old 01-18-08, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I get so frustrated watching these type of exchanges. Now, I'm sure you could get somebody on there with a modicum of political intelligence to logically critique Goldberg's points. But these idiot TV personalities who dabble in dumbed-down "political humor" for the masses like Jon Stewart understand the term "classical liberalism" about as well as Britney Spears would understand the ethnic conflict in the Balkans.
Old 01-18-08, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw Jonah Goldberg on Glenn Beck last night and it was a far better interview, far more in depth. JS and Colmes didn't give Goldberg a chance at all to actually explain the book. For something like this you can't just give him a few minutes, and then have the main person talking to him already fully against it all just because of the cover and the title. Look for the Glenn Beck interview on YouTube, or other interviews on there maybe.
Old 01-18-08, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk God

I just think it is a way to say "we conservatives are really in the middle of everyone - the real centrists."

This was discussed last week - the one-dimensional political spectrum model just cannot adequately capture the full spectrum of beliefs.
Old 01-18-08, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
I get so frustrated watching these type of exchanges. Now, I'm sure you could get somebody on there with a modicum of political intelligence to logically critique Goldberg's points. But these idiot TV personalities who dabble in dumbed-down "political humor" for the masses like Jon Stewart understand the term "classical liberalism" about as well as Britney Spears would understand the ethnic conflict in the Balkans.
I agree with you as I am republican but guys Jonah Goldberg and Ann Coulter just want to cause controversy to sell books, so I really don't even listen to them that much about my political party.

I can't even watch Jon Stewart anymore cause it is so one sided, and every conservative that comes on he goes right into attack mode, yet when a conservative comes back with logical points, then he does his comic schtick like he doesn't even take this stuff seriously.

I wish Jon Stewart would just make fun of ALL politicians and stop worrying about helping Democrats get elected, cause the guy is funny as hell, and his show is funny when it isn't one sided. But guys like Stewart & Maher are so obsessed with trying to make sure Republicans don't win elections anymore, they are losing a good chunk of audience like me who are conservative and just want to watch a nice half hour show that makes fun of the news, entertainers, athletes, and politicians.
Old 01-18-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Crap, I got to tired of "buffering" and never watched past 1 minute. But fascism comes from both sides, is generally only recognized by the other side, and the first side doesn't care because the other side calls everything that side does fascism.
Old 01-18-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Alan does make some points. Why the hell is this guy even bringing up Nazis. Like who the fuck almighty hasn't in the last 10 years.
Old 01-18-08, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what a ridiculous premise. this is the same mindset that celebrates the fact that LIncoln was a Republican and that Democrats were pro-slavery as if it has any relevance to today. he takes the words at literal face value regardless of the context. Progressivism today is not the same as that of the Progressive Era. Nor is Hitler's belief in an "organic whole" anything remotely relevant to organic foods
Old 01-18-08, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Making jokes on a comedy show = "attack mode"?

Lighten up, Francis.
Old 01-19-08, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm curious as to whether Goldberg considers warrantless wiretapping more or less fascist than organic foods. Hmm...
Old 01-19-08, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by brizz
what a ridiculous premise. this is the same mindset that celebrates the fact that LIncoln was a Republican and that Democrats were pro-slavery as if it has any relevance to today. he takes the words at literal face value regardless of the context. Progressivism today is not the same as that of the Progressive Era. Nor is Hitler's belief in an "organic whole" anything remotely relevant to organic foods

DISCLAIMER: I have not read the book in question, nor do I intend to.

However, Florentine Republicanism has bears scant resemblance to the modern Republicanism of the United States, yet I still study it when tracing back the lineage. And I don't mean to equate in any meaningful way Hitler's beliefs with todays organic food movement, but it is very possible that they share some common philosophical progenitors.
Old 01-19-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Locomocha
You agree with that guy? He got owned.
It's extremely easy to get owned in taped interviews that are edited before airtime. I'd like to see the raw footage.

They caught him cold fabricating outrage for profit. (i.e. Even if he's telling the truth about the contents of his book not drawing overt liberal-nazi parallels, the title/cover is commercial whoring at its finest.)
You do know that cover art is dictated by the marketing department, not the author? Blame Goldberg for what's between the covers, not what's on it.
Old 01-19-08, 01:32 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Red Dog
This was discussed last week - the one-dimensional political spectrum model just cannot adequately capture the full spectrum of beliefs.
Originally Posted by kvrdave
But fascism comes from both sides, is generally only recognized by the other side, and the first side doesn't care because the other side calls everything that side does fascism.
I agree with these 2 points.

In general, the Daily Show is great for a few laughs, but you're not really going to learn a hell of a lot. Same with Hannity and Colmes or any of the other talking head shows. There's just not enough time and it's all sound bytes.
Old 01-19-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I heard this guy for an hour on Medved last wk... I understand his overall point, basically about trying to dispell the popular idea that Republicans (read Bush) are one step away from the Nazis. I just don't think he's good enough on tv to get this across, at least when the host isn't agreeing with him.
Old 01-19-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, this "popular" idea that the Bush Admin is a group of Nazis is also retarded. To assume this, you have to assume organization, control, and a few other things including taking out your enemy in one bold Blitz. The Bush Admin has none of those factors, and instead, has dragged it's fat ass along for years.

While their behavior is often correlated with Nazism, it's just flat out misinformed, and only goes to demonstrate how misinformed society is about Nazism and altogether.
Old 01-19-08, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Artman
I heard this guy for an hour on Medved last wk... I understand his overall point, basically about trying to dispell the popular idea that Republicans (read Bush) are one step away from the Nazis. I just don't think he's good enough on tv to get this across, at least when the host isn't agreeing with him.
If that was his goal, then he should have been careful to avoid comparing Dems to Nazis since a negative message almost always drowns out a positive one.

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
You do know that cover art is dictated by the marketing department, not the author? Blame Goldberg for what's between the covers, not what's on it.
He did, however, have control over the title, and hitler parallels arise naturally from fascism parallels. He chose an inflammatory title. If it doesn't represent what's in the book, that's his fault. It has certainly gotten him attention, but if some of it is negative then he'll just have to deal with it.
Old 01-19-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Locomocha
He did, however, have control over the title, and hitler parallels arise naturally from fascism parallels. He chose an inflammatory title. If it doesn't represent what's in the book, that's his fault. It has certainly gotten him attention, but if some of it is negative then he'll just have to deal with it.
He wrote a book on the thesis that fascist ideology (not necessarily Nazism) influenced the progressive/liberal movement. What title would you suggest?
Old 01-19-08, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

14 minute interview with Goldberg... http://hotair.com/archives/2008/01/1...h-jon-stewart/
Old 01-19-08, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Crap, I got to tired of "buffering" and never watched past 1 minute. But fascism comes from both sides, is generally only recognized by the other side, and the first side doesn't care because the other side calls everything that side does fascism.
Authoritarianism and totalitarianism come from both sides of the political spectrum. Fascism is a particular political philosophy that traces its lineage through rightwing political movements.
Old 01-20-08, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF
Authoritarianism and totalitarianism come from both sides of the political spectrum. Fascism is a particular political philosophy that traces its lineage through rightwing political movements.

But again, Goldberg is saying the political definitions derived from the standard one-dimensional political spectrum are not a very accurate description of the totality of the ideologies, and you're just saying he's wrong by using the standard definitions ("rightwing political movements") of that very same one-dimensional spectrum that he's abandoning.
Old 01-20-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
But again, Goldberg is saying the political definitions derived from the standard one-dimensional political spectrum are not a very accurate description of the totality of the ideologies, and you're just saying he's wrong by using the standard definitions ("rightwing political movements") of that very same one-dimensional spectrum that he's abandoning.
Yes, and as I said before in another thread:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....sm#post8425516

Originally Posted by movielib
If you take out undefining characteristics (such as racism, which is not a necessary condition of either fascism or communism) and just focus on the economic elements I think you get this:
Communism: puts both ownership and control of property in the hands of the state

Fascism: leaves ownership in the hands of private individuals, but puts control of the property in the hands of the government.
Now that is also a simplification but, I think, essentially accurate. And the results, it seems to me, are essentially the same. I think they both are firmly entrenched in the lower quadrant [of the two dimensional economic freedom/personal freedom spectrum], even if not in precisely the same place.
Fascism and communism both allow very little economic freedom and very little personal freedom. Their similarities are far more prevalent than their differences. It seems almost irrelevant and meaningless whether they are supposedly "left" or "right."
Old 01-20-08, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Doesn't the US Government have ultimate control over what they can do with your property?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.