Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Does a candidate's religion affect your vote?
Yes
46
35.66%
No
41
31.78%
Maybe/Sometimes/other
42
32.56%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Does a candidate's religion affect your vote?

Old 01-10-08, 03:11 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
GreenMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,281
Does a candidate's religion affect your vote?

Since we have race and sex threads. And there's been a lot of talk on it this time around, especially with a Mormon in the mix.
GreenMonkey is offline  
Old 01-10-08, 03:14 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
GreenMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,281
I'll fess up. This is one I think it probably does whereas I'm a big hard NO on the race/sex threads.


I'd give a long hard look before giving someone with one of the kookier religions my vote. For me that is religions that completely fly in the face of science, or known history.

For me this includes at the top of the list of popular religions Scientology... and probably Mormons (and I was one, basically, until my teens...don't tell my Grandma).

I'd also squint at the more fundamentalist people - any of the ones with a stubborn insistence on literal interpretation / perfection of their chosen holy book. That probably includes lots of evangelicals and Muslims, admittedly.

Your religion, unlike your sex/race/etc, is a choice. So to me it does reflect to some extent what kind of person you are.
GreenMonkey is offline  
Old 01-10-08, 03:15 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,062
I voted sometimes. Refusing to vote for a generic Christian seems pointless, but I don't think I'd ever vote for a Mormon. Same goes for Scientologist. Generally if I disagree with a candidate's religion I won't, but it's not generally a no X denomination rule.
Tracer Bullet is offline  
Old 01-10-08, 03:16 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Hell yes!! I'd never vote for a heathen.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 01-10-08, 03:20 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,980
yes. I'd like to think it'd only affect my vote as far as the religion affects their views though, but who knows
Venusian is offline  
Old 01-10-08, 03:22 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,980
I voted yes, but it should probably be maybe since it doesnt affect it all the time, just certain religions
Venusian is offline  
Old 01-10-08, 03:25 PM
  #7  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,676
What a great and unique idea for a poll!

How about somebody's height? How about weight?
X is offline  
Old 01-10-08, 03:26 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,200
Yeah, it probably affects it. I don't know of any that are current contenders that would keep me from voting for them (though I do find Mormonism to be pretty kooky), but I can at least imagine a candidate's religious views keeping me from voting for them.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 01-10-08, 03:29 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Brent L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 13,617
Yeah, I'm not ashamed to just flat out say that this does affect who I will and will not vote for. It's one of the reasons, although just one of them, that I'm leaning more towards Huckabee instead of Romney.
Brent L is offline  
Old 01-10-08, 03:31 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Marina Del Rey, California
Posts: 9,606
Absolutley.
starseed1981 is offline  
Old 01-10-08, 03:34 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus
 
FunkDaddy J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 3,202
All religions are kooky, but there are degrees of adherence to that kookiness. I could never support an evangelical, for example, or a former Baptist preacher, or anyone who denies evolution. So yes, it affects my vote.
FunkDaddy J is offline  
Old 01-10-08, 03:35 PM
  #12  
Admin-Thanos
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 31,015
Originally Posted by X
What a great and unique idea for a poll!

How about somebody's height? How about weight?
I think we can safely say we've covered the major poll topics for this area of interest.

Wasn't there a thread about candidates and religion? Perhaps a merge is in order.
VinVega is offline  
Old 01-10-08, 03:38 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,200
Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J
All religions are kooky, but there are degrees of adherence to that kookiness. I could never support an evangelical, for example, or a former Baptist preacher, or anyone who denies evolution. So yes, it affects my vote.
C'mon. I'm an evangelical. You could vote for me.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 01-10-08, 03:39 PM
  #14  
Admin-Thanos
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 31,015
I've said it before. I don't care what your religion is. I care what your secular policies are going to be as the political leader of the country. You could be a Scientologist for all I care as long as you don't start forcing people to become Operating Thetans.
VinVega is offline  
Old 01-10-08, 03:44 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus
 
FunkDaddy J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 3,202
Originally Posted by kvrdave
C'mon. I'm an evangelical. You could vote for me.
There are exceptions to every rule, so yes, I would vote for you.
FunkDaddy J is offline  
Old 01-10-08, 03:45 PM
  #16  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 181
Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J
All religions are kooky, but there are degrees of adherence to that kookiness. I could never support an evangelical, for example, or a former Baptist preacher, or anyone who denies evolution. So yes, it affects my vote.
Yes, I feel the same way you do.
murphy_wmm is offline  
Old 01-10-08, 03:50 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,200
Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J
There are exceptions to every rule, so yes, I would vote for you.



kvrdave is offline  
Old 01-10-08, 03:56 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
I'll fess up. This is one I think it probably does whereas I'm a big hard NO on the race/sex threads.


I'd give a long hard look before giving someone with one of the kookier religions my vote. For me that is religions that completely fly in the face of science, or known history.

For me this includes at the top of the list of popular religions Scientology... and probably Mormons (and I was one, basically, until my teens...don't tell my Grandma).

I'd also squint at the more fundamentalist people - any of the ones with a stubborn insistence on literal interpretation / perfection of their chosen holy book. That probably includes lots of evangelicals and Muslims, admittedly.

Your religion, unlike your sex/race/etc, is a choice. So to me it does reflect to some extent what kind of person you are.
Wow I agree almost 100%
DeputyDave is offline  
Old 01-10-08, 04:00 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
GreenMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,281
Originally Posted by X
What a great and unique idea for a poll!

How about somebody's height? How about weight?
I almost posted a joke thread. "Does a candidate's hair color affect your vote" or something of the like.

But the race thread was being spun into religion so I thought another one of these would be a brilliant, unique idea. Thanks for the compliment!

The other thread was about presidential politics and faith. These other brilliant and unique threads are about candidates in general...a bit different territory and not specifically presidents.
GreenMonkey is offline  
Old 01-10-08, 04:00 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus
 
FunkDaddy J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 3,202
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
Your religion, unlike your sex/race/etc, is a choice. So to me it does reflect to some extent what kind of person you are.
I would argue that religion, for the vast majority of people, is not a choice. It's indoctrinated into you from birth. It's not something you choose after careful consideration. It's chosen for you.

But that's fodder for another annoying Other thread, and overall, I agree with your points.
FunkDaddy J is offline  
Old 01-10-08, 04:05 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lyon Estates
Posts: 10,795
I probably won't vote for someone who is a raging fundamentalist or a scientologist or something like that. Otherwise, I don't really care.
dick_grayson is offline  
Old 01-10-08, 04:25 PM
  #22  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 32,279
Originally Posted by VinVega
Wasn't there a thread about candidates and religion? Perhaps a merge is in order.
If only a mod was around who could do that.

To answer the question, yes, a candidate's religion absolutely influences my vote. Unlike race or gender, religion is a choice and a belief system (although one can choose their gender I suppose), and therefore is fair game when choosing a candidate, IMO. Choosing a candidate based solely on race is like choosing based solely on shoe size or something like that.
wendersfan is online now  
Old 01-10-08, 05:09 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,487
Originally Posted by wendersfan
If only a mod was around who could do that.

To answer the question, yes, a candidate's religion absolutely influences my vote. Unlike race or gender, religion is a choice and a belief system (although one can choose their gender I suppose), and therefore is fair game when choosing a candidate, IMO. Choosing a candidate based solely on race is like choosing based solely on shoe size or something like that.

If I simply knew what their religion was and nothing more, then it wouldn't effect my vote whatsoever. I think this is the more informative question. If someone rules out someone solely on their specific religious affiliation (or lack thereof) w/o knowing any more. I find that to be extremely narrow-minded.

It's how they practice religion that truly matters. I would no sooner accept a bible-thumping Christian or Jew than I would a Muslim fundamentalist or an atheist who seeks to wipe out the individual practice of religion.

So, basically if a candidate doesn't wear their religion too much on their sleeves, it doesn't really matter to me. If it goes beyond that, and I believe it does for a current candidate for President from Arkansas, then it certainly matters to me and would prevent me from voting for such a person, no matter what else they have to offer.

Last edited by Red Dog; 01-10-08 at 05:11 PM.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 01-10-08, 05:38 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ky-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cape Ann, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,921
Originally Posted by Red Dog
If I simply knew what their religion was and nothing more, then it wouldn't effect my vote whatsoever. I think this is the more informative question. If someone rules out someone solely on their specific religious affiliation (or lack thereof) w/o knowing any more. I find that to be extremely narrow-minded.

It's how they practice religion that truly matters.
I can't quite agree with that. It seems to presuppose the idea that all religions are morally equal. I don't think that's a logically convincing position. If someone says they are a practicing member of the Aryan Power Church of Christ, I don't really need to know how they practice their religion---I won't vote for them. While there may very well be an elasticity within a specific faith in regards to different interpretations, the texts and tenets of the faiths are not infinitely malleable---words have specific meanings, and those meanings have usually been defined within the traditions of that faith. And many of the thousands of relgious faiths have very, very different positions on some very fundamental issues.

Now, I may be inclined to give someone the benefit of the doubt if they say "the orthodoxy of my religion says such-and-such, but I reject that, and instead believe such-and-such", but if someone claims to be a practicing member of a religion, then I will assume they accept the orthodox tenets of that faith and denomination. And I think it's rather illogical to refrain from passing judgement on the (often very different) positions of the various religions in regards to important issues.

Last edited by Ky-Fi; 01-10-08 at 05:56 PM.
Ky-Fi is offline  
Old 01-10-08, 06:18 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
Posts: 3,382
I wouldn't vote for a Muslim. Other than that, you can worship the Rat King for all I care and if everything else adds up, I'd vote for you.
ukywyldcat is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.