Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Does a candidate's religion affect your vote?
Yes
35.66%
No
31.78%
Maybe/Sometimes/other
32.56%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Does a candidate's religion affect your vote?

Old 01-10-08, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does a candidate's religion affect your vote?

Since we have race and sex threads. And there's been a lot of talk on it this time around, especially with a Mormon in the mix.
Old 01-10-08, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll fess up. This is one I think it probably does whereas I'm a big hard NO on the race/sex threads.

I'd give a long hard look before giving someone with one of the kookier religions my vote. For me that is religions that completely fly in the face of science, or known history.

For me this includes at the top of the list of popular religions Scientology... and probably Mormons (and I was one, basically, until my teens...don't tell my Grandma).

I'd also squint at the more fundamentalist people - any of the ones with a stubborn insistence on literal interpretation / perfection of their chosen holy book. That probably includes lots of evangelicals and Muslims, admittedly.

Your religion, unlike your sex/race/etc, is a choice. So to me it does reflect to some extent what kind of person you are.
Old 01-10-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I voted sometimes. Refusing to vote for a generic Christian seems pointless, but I don't think I'd ever vote for a Mormon. Same goes for Scientologist. Generally if I disagree with a candidate's religion I won't, but it's not generally a no X denomination rule.
Old 01-10-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Hell yes!! I'd never vote for a heathen.
Old 01-10-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

yes. I'd like to think it'd only affect my vote as far as the religion affects their views though, but who knows
Old 01-10-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I voted yes, but it should probably be maybe since it doesnt affect it all the time, just certain religions
Old 01-10-08, 03:25 PM
X
Administrator

What a great and unique idea for a poll!

How about somebody's height? How about weight?
Old 01-10-08, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, it probably affects it. I don't know of any that are current contenders that would keep me from voting for them (though I do find Mormonism to be pretty kooky), but I can at least imagine a candidate's religious views keeping me from voting for them.
Old 01-10-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I'm not ashamed to just flat out say that this does affect who I will and will not vote for. It's one of the reasons, although just one of them, that I'm leaning more towards Huckabee instead of Romney.
Old 01-10-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Absolutley.
Old 01-10-08, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

All religions are kooky, but there are degrees of adherence to that kookiness. I could never support an evangelical, for example, or a former Baptist preacher, or anyone who denies evolution. So yes, it affects my vote.
Old 01-10-08, 03:35 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by X

I think we can safely say we've covered the major poll topics for this area of interest.

Wasn't there a thread about candidates and religion? Perhaps a merge is in order.
Old 01-10-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J
All religions are kooky, but there are degrees of adherence to that kookiness. I could never support an evangelical, for example, or a former Baptist preacher, or anyone who denies evolution. So yes, it affects my vote.
C'mon. I'm an evangelical. You could vote for me.
Old 01-10-08, 03:39 PM
Admin-Thanos

I've said it before. I don't care what your religion is. I care what your secular policies are going to be as the political leader of the country. You could be a Scientologist for all I care as long as you don't start forcing people to become Operating Thetans.
Old 01-10-08, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
C'mon. I'm an evangelical. You could vote for me.
There are exceptions to every rule, so yes, I would vote for you.
Old 01-10-08, 03:45 PM

Yes, I feel the same way you do.
Old 01-10-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk God

There are exceptions to every rule, so yes, I would vote for you.

Old 01-10-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
I'll fess up. This is one I think it probably does whereas I'm a big hard NO on the race/sex threads.

I'd give a long hard look before giving someone with one of the kookier religions my vote. For me that is religions that completely fly in the face of science, or known history.

For me this includes at the top of the list of popular religions Scientology... and probably Mormons (and I was one, basically, until my teens...don't tell my Grandma).

I'd also squint at the more fundamentalist people - any of the ones with a stubborn insistence on literal interpretation / perfection of their chosen holy book. That probably includes lots of evangelicals and Muslims, admittedly.

Your religion, unlike your sex/race/etc, is a choice. So to me it does reflect to some extent what kind of person you are.
Wow I agree almost 100%
Old 01-10-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by X

I almost posted a joke thread. "Does a candidate's hair color affect your vote" or something of the like.

But the race thread was being spun into religion so I thought another one of these would be a brilliant, unique idea. Thanks for the compliment!

The other thread was about presidential politics and faith. These other brilliant and unique threads are about candidates in general...a bit different territory and not specifically presidents.
Old 01-10-08, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
I would argue that religion, for the vast majority of people, is not a choice. It's indoctrinated into you from birth. It's not something you choose after careful consideration. It's chosen for you.

But that's fodder for another annoying Other thread, and overall, I agree with your points.
Old 01-10-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I probably won't vote for someone who is a raging fundamentalist or a scientologist or something like that. Otherwise, I don't really care.
Old 01-10-08, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega
Wasn't there a thread about candidates and religion? Perhaps a merge is in order.
If only a mod was around who could do that.

To answer the question, yes, a candidate's religion absolutely influences my vote. Unlike race or gender, religion is a choice and a belief system (although one can choose their gender I suppose), and therefore is fair game when choosing a candidate, IMO. Choosing a candidate based solely on race is like choosing based solely on shoe size or something like that.
Old 01-10-08, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wendersfan
If only a mod was around who could do that.

To answer the question, yes, a candidate's religion absolutely influences my vote. Unlike race or gender, religion is a choice and a belief system (although one can choose their gender I suppose), and therefore is fair game when choosing a candidate, IMO. Choosing a candidate based solely on race is like choosing based solely on shoe size or something like that.

If I simply knew what their religion was and nothing more, then it wouldn't effect my vote whatsoever. I think this is the more informative question. If someone rules out someone solely on their specific religious affiliation (or lack thereof) w/o knowing any more. I find that to be extremely narrow-minded.

It's how they practice religion that truly matters. I would no sooner accept a bible-thumping Christian or Jew than I would a Muslim fundamentalist or an atheist who seeks to wipe out the individual practice of religion.

So, basically if a candidate doesn't wear their religion too much on their sleeves, it doesn't really matter to me. If it goes beyond that, and I believe it does for a current candidate for President from Arkansas, then it certainly matters to me and would prevent me from voting for such a person, no matter what else they have to offer.

Last edited by Red Dog; 01-10-08 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-10-08, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
If I simply knew what their religion was and nothing more, then it wouldn't effect my vote whatsoever. I think this is the more informative question. If someone rules out someone solely on their specific religious affiliation (or lack thereof) w/o knowing any more. I find that to be extremely narrow-minded.

It's how they practice religion that truly matters.
I can't quite agree with that. It seems to presuppose the idea that all religions are morally equal. I don't think that's a logically convincing position. If someone says they are a practicing member of the Aryan Power Church of Christ, I don't really need to know how they practice their religion---I won't vote for them. While there may very well be an elasticity within a specific faith in regards to different interpretations, the texts and tenets of the faiths are not infinitely malleable---words have specific meanings, and those meanings have usually been defined within the traditions of that faith. And many of the thousands of relgious faiths have very, very different positions on some very fundamental issues.

Now, I may be inclined to give someone the benefit of the doubt if they say "the orthodoxy of my religion says such-and-such, but I reject that, and instead believe such-and-such", but if someone claims to be a practicing member of a religion, then I will assume they accept the orthodox tenets of that faith and denomination. And I think it's rather illogical to refrain from passing judgement on the (often very different) positions of the various religions in regards to important issues.

Last edited by Ky-Fi; 01-10-08 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-10-08, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wouldn't vote for a Muslim. Other than that, you can worship the Rat King for all I care and if everything else adds up, I'd vote for you.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.