Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

2008 Political Predictions

Old 12-31-07, 09:05 PM

2008 Political Predictions

So what's your outlook for this year? Do you think everyone will be so involved in the election that not much else will be done? Do you think there will be improvement in Iraq or do you think it'll get worse? How about Pakistan, or the situation w/ N. Korea?
Old 01-01-08, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Edwards will win the Iowa caucus.

Whether congress gets anything done will depend a great deal on whether the Republicans employ the same delaying tactics that they employed in 2007. If the do, they little will get done.

I predict the Democrats will gain seats in the House & the Senate.

Just possibly - Bush will declare victory in Iraq and begin bringing the troops home.
Old 01-01-08, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Definitely. Iraq victory. Bush will bring a few troops home.
Old 01-01-08, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Business as usual. This congress is just as gutless and ineffective as the "do nothing" congress was. More of the same in Iraq, the dollar will continue to sink, and we'll be in recession by mid year.

Ron Paul will win Iowa and New Hampshire but will be assassinated by a Blackwater employee after being given the order by "the elites." (just kidding)
Old 01-01-08, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Definitely. Iraq victory. Bush will bring a few troops home.
Yep. The day after there's a definite republican nominee.
Old 01-01-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

we'll get a new president this year
Old 01-01-08, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy
I predict we'll get the same president that just LOOKS new this year.
Old 01-01-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

1. The Iowa caucus and early primaries will be the reality check to end all reality checks for supporters of Ron Paul, Fred Thompson, and John Edwards. Only Thompson's supporters will accept reality, while Paul and Edwards supporters will continually push for their men to run as independents well past the conventions.

2. Our long tradition of peaceful and orderly presidential elections will be broken this year.

3. The credit card industry will suffer the same kind of meltdown that's affecting the mortgage industry.

4. You're going to get really sick of hearing about the White House Travel Office.
Old 01-01-08, 11:50 AM

McCain/Lieberman 2008
Old 01-01-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sjrab16
McCain/Lieberman 2008
and I'll along with lots of people will leave the country
as bad as the 2 dicks are 2 pussies would be even worse
Old 01-01-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by al_bundy
I predict we won't get a new president until January 2009.
Old 01-01-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
1. The Iowa caucus and early primaries will be the reality check to end all reality checks for supporters of Ron Paul, Fred Thompson, and John Edwards. Only Thompson's supporters will accept reality, while Paul and Edwards supporters will continually push for their men to run as independents well past the conventions.
How is it the "long shot" "fringe candidate" "underdog" is the highest fund raiser of the Republican pack for Q4? How is it he's the only one whose funding has risen every quarter when the others have plummeted? Why is he the only candidate able to fuel grassroots in states where primaries aren't even until May?

Don't let the media pick your President!

My prediction for this year is "how to handle Pakistan" will become the issue that the media declares the factor for who takes the WH.

Have you ever listened to these pundits talk about a soveriegn nation like they do about Pakistan?
Old 01-01-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Relax... Ron Paul will gladly throw off his (R) and go (I) or (L) to keep running. And that's when the grass roots will really matter. Not as the (R) but as the third party.

Obviously he will not win in such a case, but could end up playing a role.

Will he steal more (R) votes than (D) votes? It's probable. But even there I'm not certain.

Let us hope that if the above plays out, it is a step towards a good third party / independent vote in future elections and not another blip on the radar. So many people are fed up with the 2 parties we're looking at (yes, even those who vote for members of those parties) that it is a ripe time in history to see some play from another source. Party reform doesn't look as likely as a new figure to me. Ron Paul could be the man to shake things into a new direction, and I'm not sure he could have done it without starting in one of the major parties for this election. But I don't see him winning. I think it would take more than 1 election cycle for all this to play out. And it may not play out at all.

But the prospect is at least strong enough to dream.

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 01-01-08 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-01-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not sure if this is the case, but I read somewhere today that some states won't allow someone to start out running as a (R) and then switch to another party to stay in the running.

I admit, I'd be tickled pink for him to run 3rd party and I think it would be a MAJOR news story because he'd gain more votes than any other previous third party run.

It also shows how retarded the GOP has become to allow that to happen.
Old 01-01-08, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mosquitobite
Don't let the media pick your President!
I don't intend to. I also don't intend for a bunch of cranks on the internet to pick it for me.
Old 01-01-08, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure if this is the case, but I read somewhere today that some states won't allow someone to start out running as a (R) and then switch to another party to stay in the running.
Maybe Dr. Paul should move to Connecticut.
Old 01-01-08, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk God

I admit, I'd be tickled pink for him to run 3rd party and I think it would be a MAJOR news story because he'd gain more votes than any other previous third party run.

I seriously doubt it. He certainly wouldn't win any electoral votes.
Old 01-01-08, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I predict the dollar crisis will continue and will not be at the top of the debate/issue list when it obviously should be.
I predict that this year will be the mother of all reality checks in terms of foreign policy blowback.
I predict our weak border policy and loose illegal immigration policy will also bear rotten fruit.
Old 01-01-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Relax... Ron Paul will gladly throw off his (R) and go (I) or (L) to keep running. And that's when the grass roots will really matter. Not as the (R) but as the third party.

Obviously he will not win in such a case, but could end up playing a role.

Will he steal more (R) votes than (D) votes? It's probable. But even there I'm not certain.

Let us hope that if the above plays out, it is a step towards a good third party / independent vote in future elections and not another blip on the radar. So many people are fed up with the 2 parties we're looking at (yes, even those who vote for members of those parties) that it is a ripe time in history to see some play from another source. Party reform doesn't look as likely as a new figure to me. Ron Paul could be the man to shake things into a new direction, and I'm not sure he could have done it without starting in one of the major parties for this election. But I don't see him winning. I think it would take more than 1 election cycle for all this to play out. And it may not play out at all.

I think he'd steal more Democrat votes than Republican because of his stance on the Iraq war. At ronpaulforums.com most of his supporters have never voted Republican, and are actually offended by many of his conservative stances. That is why his polling among Republicans is not an aberration; his supporters are Democrats, libertarians, and first time voters. And that is not enough to win the nomination. I wish I was wrong about that, because I'd love to see him win and love for the Republican party to take a different direction, but ronpaulforums.com is alien territory for most conservatives (in my opinion anyway). I think his support is about 30% Democrats, 20% libertarians, 10% Republicans, and about 40% first time voters and people excited about the grassroots campaign who normally don't care about presidential elections. It's cool to see the enthusiasm at least.
Old 01-01-08, 08:59 PM

I found this in the 1992 archives (back when this site was called VHS Talk):

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
So many people are fed up with the 2 parties we're looking at (yes, even those who vote for members of those parties) that it is a ripe time in history to see some play from another source. Party reform doesn't look as likely as a new figure to me. Ross Perot could be the man to shake things into a new direction. But I don't see him winning. I think it would take more than 1 election cycle for all this to play out. And it may not play out at all.

Old 01-01-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Xytraguptorh
I think he'd steal more Democrat votes than Republican because of his stance on the Iraq war.
But if he runs as an independent and the democratic candidate wins, he'll be a conveinent republican scape goat. Just like Ross Perot.