Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Governor Jim Gibbons got booed today at commencement (thoughts on booing in public)..

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Governor Jim Gibbons got booed today at commencement (thoughts on booing in public)..

Old 12-21-07, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went to see some friends graduate from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas and NV Governor Jim Gibbons (R) was there. He got loud boos from pretty much everybody in the room when he was introduced. I commented to the person next to me that "Wow they really hate him" and she said that he had been doing nothing but budget cuts for education.

I thought that was pretty rude. I don't agree with showing anyone in politics anything but respect in public, in private, anywhere. Displeasure should be shown by votes, not by boos, and much less in a public setting (I'm going through my citizenship application so I wasn't able to vote, but I was against Jim Gibbons). I let out the single "Whooo!!" in protest of booing a public figure in public.

Personally, I don't know what he was doing at a graduation if he supposedly wants to do a bunch of budget cuts - he probably HAS to attend as part of his duties or because it would look bad if he didn't.

So what are your thoughts of booing political people in public?
Old 12-21-07, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it's the right of people to voice their opinions, and I don't think all politicians automatically deserve respect.

However, in that situation - if I disapproved of someone like that, I just wouldn't acknowledge them at all. But some people just have to make noise.
Old 12-21-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk God

I think it is in poor taste, personally. I wouldn't do it. There is nothing wrong with being polite at a function like that.

Personally, I think some college kids now see graduation as a place to boo anyone. It's a stupid trend.
Old 12-21-07, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I think it is in poor taste, personally. I wouldn't do it. There is nothing wrong with being polite at a function like that.

Personally, I think some college kids now see graduation as a place to boo anyone. It's a stupid trend.
Most of the boos were coming from the stands.
Old 12-21-07, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Underclassmen.
Old 12-21-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was saying "Boo-urns"
Old 12-22-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Meh. It's college kids. It's a politician. What do you expect. Just be glad they didn't hand out tomatos in advance.
Old 12-22-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AkMkGOpAF4s&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AkMkGOpAF4s&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 12-22-07, 11:50 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Poor manners, but no big deal. Guess that will give him incentive to cut more from education.
Old 12-22-07, 12:06 PM
Suspended

Fuck Governor Gibbons. He's a tyrant. An opposer to all those who attempt to seek progress for this state, to include, but not limited to, all of the UNLV alumni.

He'll burn in hell, if there is a hell, for all time.

Fuck Gibbons.

E
Old 12-22-07, 12:11 PM

How could anybody hate gibbons?

So cute!
Old 12-22-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Old 12-22-07, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF
I was saying "Boo-urns"
Old 12-22-07, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4
Fuck Governor Gibbons. He's a tyrant. An opposer to all those who attempt to seek progress for this state, to include, but not limited to, all of the UNLV alumni.

He'll burn in hell, if there is a hell, for all time.

Fuck Gibbons.

E
I don't disagree that he sucks for the state, but apparently more people than not wanted him as governor. I myself can't believe he got elected. Mom loves him, but she loves any Republican no matter what their views. That did cross my mind, that campuses are mostly democrat.
Old 12-22-07, 08:17 PM
Suspended

Yeah. Sure. Bush got elected too. And a dead man once [when the general election was between a deceased individual and John Ashcroft]. It's all relative. We have a lot of mormons in this state who will vote Republican no matter what. They could run an old caucasian male who was legally retarded [which Gibbons may very well be, considering his decision-making] and they would still vote for him. Not even give it a second thought.

Gibbons is undoubtedly one of the worst state governors in the union.

E