Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

New leader of the Liberal Democrats (Britain) is an atheist

Old 12-20-07, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

New leader of the Liberal Democrats (Britain) is an atheist

Didn't know if this was worth a new thread, but I couldn't think of any existing ones this would fit. Please merge if there is one.

Kind of an interesting counterpoint to what happens here, where all candiates fall over each other to let the voters know they love god the best. I fully expect to see an openly atheist major presidential candidate- in 2208.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7151346.stm

Clegg 'does not believe in God'

New Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg has answered "no" when asked on BBC radio if he believed in God.

The rapid-fire question and answer format on 5 Live meant the 40-year-old did not have the chance to elaborate

He later said he had "enormous respect for people who have religious faith", that his wife is Catholic and that his children are being brought up Catholic.

Last month, former PM Tony Blair said he had not talked much about his faith for fear of being labelled a "nutter".

Reshuffle

The radio interview with Mr Clegg, MP for Sheffield Hallam, came ahead of a reshuffle of the Lib Dem frontbench team expected over the next few days.

Asked whether he had ever taken illegal drugs, he replied: "I'm going to cast a veil over that. It's the one thing I agree with David Cameron on. I think politicians are entitled to a private life before they go into politics."

And asked if he believed in God, he said: "No."

In later comments to the BBC News website, Mr Clegg added: "I have enormous respect for people who have religious faith, I'm married to a Catholic and am committed to bringing my children up as Catholics.

"However, I myself am not an active believer, but the last thing I would do when talking or thinking about religion is approach it with a closed heart or a closed mind."

Mr Clegg was joined on his first day in the job by musician Brian Eno, whom he has brought in as an adviser on how to "reach out beyond Westminster to people who don't get a say in politics".

Mr Clegg said: "I will fight for a society where everyone gets a fair chance in life, and no-one is condemned by the circumstances of their birth.

"Education has got to be front and centre of Britain's agenda if we're going to make that happen. So I will raise funding for the poorest children to the levels in private schools.

"And every family must be free from poverty, and feel they have a voice, and a stake, in Britain today."

'People's politics'

Mr Clegg added: "That requires a new kind of politics - a people's politics. If politics is going to solve the problems of people's everyday lives, we need to listen to people, and act on what they say."

Later the Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, reacted to Mr Clegg's declaration.

Dr Williams told Radio 5 Live presenter Simon Mayo: "It matters less to me than to know they are honest and reliable and that what beliefs they have they hold sincerely.

"This isn't a country where Christianity is imposed by law. It's a country with a nominally Christian majority. And that's good.

"And whoever becomes prime minister has to understand that and work with it rather than against the grain of it."

Last month, Mr Blair told the BBC his Christian faith had been "hugely important" to his premiership, but that he had been wary of discussing it in case he was labelled a "nutter".

His ex-spokesman Alastair Campbell once told reporters: "We don't do God."

Current Prime Minister Gordon Brown, the son of a church minister, is also a Christian who has spoken of his father's advice acting as his "moral compass".

Mr Clegg, an MP since 2005, beat Chris Huhne to the Lib Dem leadership by 20,988 votes to 20,477 - a margin of just 511.

Mr Clegg's election follows a two-month contest caused by the resignation of Sir Menzies Campbell.
Old 12-20-07, 09:23 AM

As opposed to the United States, where announcing that you don't believe in evolution boosts you up to a presidential frontrunner.
Old 12-20-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Old 12-20-07, 11:26 AM

Nice to see that some political leaders actually have some common sense.
Old 12-20-07, 12:03 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by murphy_wmm
Nice to see that some political leaders actually have some common sense.

This guy probably has a religion. He probably believes in Global Warming.
Good to see that he isn't hiding his true beliefs like so many liberal politicians in this country.
Old 12-20-07, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by bhk

Good to see that he isn't hiding his true beliefs like so many liberal politicians in this country.
Actually, in Britain it's the Conservatives who are going nuts over global warning. Also, liberal in Britain has a different meaning than liberal here.
Old 12-20-07, 12:10 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Actually, in Britain it's the Conservatives who are going nuts over global warning. Also, liberal in Britain has a different meaning than liberal here.
Oh, I suspect he believes in Global Warming none-the-less.
Old 12-20-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by bhk

Yes because we all know how conservatives are so truthful and open.

Oh, I suspect he believes in Global Warming none-the-less.
Why? Because he is a liberal or because he is an atheist?
Old 12-20-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Probably because he does.

Originally Posted by Nick Clegg
To tackle the global warming problem Nick called “for a complete reordering and rebalancing of our fiscal system… a radical reordering of the tax system is required.” He also made the case for a partnership attitude to addressing environmental issues, suggesting that “this won’t become a popular movement unless it is seen as a partnership between individuals, communities, business, governments and the international community.”
I could note that it is funny that humans seem to be unable to exist without some sort of non-scientific belief system, but that is for another thread.
Old 12-20-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk God

So he does. Big whoop. I just think the stereotype of atheist = global warming believer (or worse yet, nut) is pretty stupid. Hell, just look at this forum - look at who leads the charge as a global warming skeptic and how many other atheists/agnostics in the forum do not subscribe to the mainstream view of GW.
Old 12-20-07, 12:31 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Yes because we all know how conservatives are so truthful and open.
Most conservative pols don't have to hide their true beliefs in this country. For example, how many liberal pols agree that they are liberal when someone calls them one?

No, because he's probably brainwashed into believing it. He isn't an atheist, he believes in the religion of Global Warming.
Old 12-20-07, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by bhk
Most conservative pols don't have to hide their true beliefs in this country. For example, how many liberal pols agree that they are liberal when someone calls them one?

So you don't think there are conservative atheists out there who are pretending to be religious? What about gay conservatives still hiding in the closet?

No, because he's probably brainwashed into believing it. He isn't an atheist, he believes in the religion of Global Warming.
Dodging the question. Since you're a conservative, you should have no problem telling us your true beliefs, right? You didn't know anything about this guy before this thread so something had to make you bring up his religion being GW - either that he was an atheist or a liberal.

Last edited by Red Dog; 12-20-07 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-20-07, 12:46 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

So you don't think there are conservative atheists out there who are pretending to be religious? What about gay conservatives still hiding in the closet?
They aren't hiding that they're conservative. That is what I meant. I'm sure there are atheists that are conservative. I don't know of any that are and pretend to be religious.

Dodging the question. Since you're a conservative, you should have no problem telling us your true beliefs, right?
I don't. I don't deny you all the benefit of my immense wisdom. I just couldn't live with myself if I did.
You didn't know anything about this guy before this thread so something had to make you bring up his religion being GW - either that he was an atheist or a liberal.
Pretty easy to google.
Like I said, he can't be an atheist if he believes in the religion of Global Warming. Kind of torpedoes the thread title the way it's posted.

Last edited by bhk; 12-20-07 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-20-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't know of any that are and pretend to be religious.
You wouldn't know either. You have to profess a belief in god to get elected to office in country, almost no matter where you live.
Old 12-20-07, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by bhk

Pretty easy to google.
Like I said, he can't be an atheist if he believes in the religion of Global Warming. Kind of torpedoes the thread title the way it's posted.

Nice try.

Originally Posted by bhk

Your use of the word probably tells me you hadn't googled when you made that statement.

Why is it so hard for you to answer my question. Something had to trigger your GW statement. I just want to know was it his liberalism or his atheism?
Old 12-20-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm tired of all these religious nuts seeing the image of Global Warming in their toast, oil spills, etc.
Old 12-20-07, 01:51 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Why is it so hard for you to answer my question. Something had to trigger your GW statement. I just want to know was it his liberalism or his atheism?
The atheisim definitely.
There's a tendancy on this forum to hold out some religious nut and imply all religious people are like that. And also a tendancy to portray atheists as some super-intelligent, super-rational, uber-mensch. That's what triggered my mention of Global Warming in relation to this particular atheist.
Old 12-20-07, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Thank you for admitting your stereotype.

And I repeat...
I just think the stereotype of atheist = global warming believer (or worse yet, nut) is pretty stupid. Hell, just look at this forum - look at who leads the charge as a global warming skeptic and how many other atheists/agnostics in the forum do not subscribe to the mainstream view of GW.
Old 12-20-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bhk
The atheisim definitely.
There's a tendancy on this forum to hold out some religious nut and imply all religious people are like that. And also a tendancy to portray atheists as some super-intelligent, super-rational, uber-mensch. That's what triggered my mention of Global Warming in relation to this particular atheist.
I really have no idea how or why you could have formed this connection. If anything, there's a link between liberalism and belief in global warming.
Old 12-20-07, 02:11 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Thank you for admitting your stereotype.

And I repeat...
Eh..
I found the title ironic given that someone posted that he had "common sense". The stereotype that atheists are more intelligent and more rational that's been put forth in this forum(mainly by the atheists here ). It was fun to completely destroy that streotype.
Old 12-20-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bhk
It was fun to completely destroy that streotype.
You certainly did that!
Old 12-20-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by bhk
Eh..
I found the title ironic given that someone posted that he had "common sense". The stereotype that atheists are more intelligent and more rational that's been put forth in this forum(mainly by the atheists here ). It was fun to completely destroy that streotype.

I'm not sure what the title has to do with the stereotype you think you completely destroyed and any irony in it.

Now if the title said Atheist scores 50 on IQ test, then I could see irony.
Old 12-20-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Go back to your flat, 6,000 year old earth, Theist!
Old 12-20-07, 03:12 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
bhk, I like to argue with the atheists as much as anybody, but I really have no idea what you are talking about in this thread.
One of the responses in this thread of this guy announcing that he's an atheist was "nice to see some political leaders showing common sense."
I thought it was ironic someone who believes in the religion of Global Warming being credited for a. having common sense and b. referred to as an atheist(implying a non-religious person).
Old 12-20-07, 03:12 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Go back to your flat, 6,000 year old earth, Theist!
Is that addressed to me?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.