Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

2008 Republican Party Presidential Nominee Pool

Old 12-19-07, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

2008 Republican Party Presidential Nominee Pool

We're less than a month from Iowa, and there's been some interest over on the Dem pool page to have a GOP pool as well.

So let it be written, so shall it be done. Here's how the game is played.

1- There are at present EIGHT declared nominees from the Republican Party for the 2008 Presidential Election (see list below). Your job is to guess the order in which they'll drop out.
2 - When you submit your guess, you must ensure that your order is unique. If someone else has already selected a particular order, you must chose a different order.
3 - After your guess has been submitted, you are allowed to make ONE change at any time prior to the commencement of the party convention. The change you make must be unique (see rule 2). Once you make that change, or once the convention begins, you are frozen.
4 - When you make a change, you drop to the bottom of the list of active players.

Here's what happens when a candidate drops out:
5 - If you guessed correctly... hooray! You're still in!
6 - If you guessed wrong AND have been frozen, you're out.
7 - If you guessed wrong but have NOT been frozen, you might still have a chance. Starting at the top of the list, players who guessed wrong will have their incorrect pick swapped with the candidate who actually dropped out. If the resulting list is unique (see rule 2), you're still in and your picks move to the bottom of the list of active players. However, if the new list has already been selected by an active player, then you're eliminated.

Re-entry rules
8 - Players who are eliminated after the first drop-out due to their swapped list being non-unique will be allowed to re-enter the pool with a brand new list, but will be frozen and cannot make any changes.
9 - New players may likewise enter the pool after the first drop-out, but will also be frozen. New players will be listed below re-entering players in the active player list.

The winner will be whomever selects the correct drop-out sequence. Order of finish will be based on number of correct sequential picks, with ties broken by position on the table at the time of elimination.

NOTE: The eight candidates in this pool represent all of the Republicans who have filed or announced their intent to file the necessary paperwork with the Federal Elections Commission (FEC) as of the kickoff date of this pool. Even if other candidates file FEC paperwork, they will not be a part of this pool.

Link to Dem Pool: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=499596

Last edited by kenbuzz; 01-23-08 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-19-07, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

GOP Nominees

Here is the nominee pool, listed alphabetically:

<table><tr><td align=center></td><td align=center></td><td align=center></td></tr><tr><td align=center>Huckabee</td><td align=center>McCain </td><td align=center>Paul </td></tr></table>

Nominees who have withdrawn from the race:

<table><tr><td align=center></td><td></td><td align=center></td><td align=center></td><td align=center></td></tr><tr><td align=center>#1 Tancredo</td><td align=center>#2 Hunter</td><td align=center>#3 Thompson</td><td align=center>#4 Giuliani</td><td align=center>#5 Romney</td></tr><tr><td align=center>20 Dec 07</td><td align=center>19 Jan 08</td><td align=center>22 Jan 08</td><td align=center>30 Jan 08</td><td align=center>7 Feb 08</td></tr></table>

Nominees who dropped out prior to the pool starting:

<table><tr><td align=center></td><td align=center></td><td align=center></td></tr><tr><td align=center>Gilmore</td><td align=center>T. Thompson</td><td align=center>Brownback</td></tr><tr><td align=center>14 Jul 07</td><td align=center>12 Aug 07</td><td align=center>19 Oct 07</td></tr></table>

Potential candidates who have declined to seek nomination (excluded from this pool):

<table><tr><td align=center></td><td align=center></td><td align=center></td><td align=center></td><td align=center></td></tr><tr><tr><td align=center>Allen</td><td align=center>Bush</td><td align=center>Cheney</td><td align=center>Frist</td><td align=center>Gingrich</td></tr><tr><td align=center></td><td align=center></td><td align=center></td><td align=center></td></tr><tr><td align=center>Hagel</td><td align=center>Rice</td><td align=center>Sanford</td><td align=center>Santorum</td></tr></table>

Last edited by kenbuzz; 02-07-08 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-19-07, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

<table border=1><tr align=center><td><b>Rank</b></td><td><b>Player</b></td><td><b>Status</b></td><td><b>1st Out</b></td><td><b>2nd Out</b></td><td><b>3rd Out</b></td><td><b>4th Out</b></td><td><b>5th Out</b></td><td><b>6th Out</b></td><td><b>Last Out</b></td><td><b>Nominee</b></td></tr><tr align=center><td>-</td><td><b>Jeremy517 ***</b></td><td>Frozen</td><td>Tancredo</td><td>Hunter</td><td>Thompson</td><td>Giuliani</td><td>Romney</td><td>Huckabee</td><td>Paul</td><td>McCain</td></tr><tr align=center><td>-</td><td><b>classicman2 ****</b></td><td>Frozen</td><td>Tancredo</td><td>Hunter</td><td>Thompson</td><td>Giuliani</td><td>Romney</td><td>Paul</td><td>Huckabee</td><td>McCain</td></tr><!--buzzy--><tr align=center><td>3</td><td><b>Tracer Bullet ***</b></td><td>OUT</td><td>Tancredo</td><td>Hunter</td><td>Thompson</td><td>Giuliani</td><td>Paul</td><td>Romney</td><td>Huckabee</td><td>McCain</td></tr><tr align=center><td>4</td><td><b>dick_grayson ***</b></td><td>OUT</td><td>Tancredo</td><td>Hunter</td><td>Thompson</td><td>Giuliani</td><td>Huckabee</td><td>Romney</td><td>Paul</td><td>McCain</td></tr><tr align=center><td>5</td><td><b>Jason ***</b></td><td>OUT</td><td>Tancredo</td><td>Hunter</td><td>Thompson</td><td>Giuliani</td><td>Paul</td><td>McCain</td><td>Huckabee</td><td>Romney</td></tr><tr align=center><td>6</td><td><b>Red Dog ***</b></td><td>OUT</td><td>Tancredo</td><td>Hunter</td><td>Thompson</td><td>Giuliani</td><td>Huckabee</td><td>McCain</td><td>Paul</td><td>Romney</td></tr><tr align=center><td>7</td><td><b>Xytraguptorh</b></td><td>OUT</td><td>Tancredo</td><td>Hunter</td><td>Thompson</td><td>Giuliani</td><td>McCain</td><td>Huckabee</td><td>Paul</td><td>Romney</td></tr><tr align=center><td>8</td><td><b>kenbuzz</b></td><td>OUT</td><td>Tancredo</td><td>Hunter</td><td>Thompson</td><td>Giuliani</td><td><strike>Paul</strike></td><td><strike>McCain</strike></td><td><strike>Huckabee</strike></td><td><strike>Romney</strike></td></tr><tr align=center><td>9</td><td><b>lordwow</b></td><td>OUT</td><td>Tancredo</td><td>Hunter</td><td>Thompson</td><td>Giuliani</td><td><strike>Huckabee</strike></td><td><strike>Romney</strike></td><td><strike>Paul</strike></td><td><strike>McCain</strike></td></tr><tr align=center><td>10</td><td><b>Venusian</b></td><td>OUT</td><td>Tancredo</td><td>Hunter</td><td>Thompson</td><td>McCain</td><td>Romney</td><td>Huckabee</td><td>Paul</td><td>Giuliani</td></tr><tr align=center><td>11</td><td><b>Damfino</b></td><td>OUT</td><td>Tancredo</td><td>Hunter</td><td>Thompson</td><td>Romney</td><td>McCain</td><td>Huckabee</td><td>Paul</td><td>Giuliani</td></tr><tr align=center><td>12</td><td><b>Groucho</b></td><td>OUT</td><td>Tancredo</td><td>Hunter</td><td>Thompson</td><td>Paul</td><td>Giuliani</td><td>McCain</td><td>Huckabee</td><td>Romney</td></tr><tr align=center><td>13</td><td><b>jwerner *</b></td><td>OUT</td><td>Tancredo</td><td>Hunter</td><td>Thompson</td><td>Paul</td><td>Giuliani</td><td>McCain</td><td>Romney</td><td>Huckabee</td></tr><tr align=center><td>14</td><td><b>General Zod</b></td><td>OUT</td><td>Tancredo</td><td>Hunter</td><td>Thompson</td><td>McCain</td><td>Giuliani</td><td>Paul</td><td>Romney</td><td>Huckabee</td></tr><tr align=center><td>15</td><td><b>JasonF</b></td><td>OUT</td><td>Tancredo</td><td>Hunter</td><td>Thompson</td><td>McCain</td><td>Giuliani</td><td>Paul</td><td>Huckabee</td><td>Romney</td></tr><tr align=center><td>16</td><td><b>kvrdave</b></td><td>OUT</td><td>Tancredo</td><td>Hunter</td><td>Thompson</td><td>McCain</td><td>Paul</td><td>Giuliani</td><td>Romney</td><td>Huckabee</td></tr><tr align=center><td>17</td><td><b>MartinBlank</b></td><td>OUT</td><td>Tancredo</td><td>Hunter</td><td>Thompson</td><td><strike>McCain</strike></td><td><strike>Huckabee</strike></td><td><strike>Romney</strike></td><td><strike>Paul</strike></td><td><strike>Giuliani</strike></td></tr><tr align=center><td>18</td><td><b>wendersfan</b></td><td>OUT</td><td>Tancredo</td><td>Hunter</td><td>McCain</td><td>Thompson</td><td>Paul</td><td>Giuliani</td><td>Huckabee</td><td>Romney</td></tr><tr align=center><td>19</td><td><b>mosquitobite **</b></td><td>OUT</td><td>Tancredo</td><td>Thompson</td><td>Hunter</td><td>Giuliani</td><td>Huckabee</td><td>Romney</td><td>McCain</td><td>Paul</td></tr><!--xyzzy--><!--<tr align=center><td>Seq</td><td><b>Player</b></td><td>Status</td><td>First</td><td>Second</td><td>Third</td><td>Fourth</td><td>Fifth</td><td>Sixth</td><td>Seventh</td><td>Nominee</td></tr>--></table>
kenbuzz was eliminated at Giuliani's drop by Jason (identical picks)
lordwow was eliminated at Giuliani's drop by dick_grayson (identical picks)
MartinBlank was eliminated at Thompson's drop by lordwow (identical picks)

* = Joined pool after first drop (Tancredo). Player enters pool frozen.
** = Changed picks after first drop (Tancredo).
*** = Changed picks after third drop (Thompson).
**** = Changed picks after fifth drop (Romney).

Last edited by kenbuzz; 02-07-08 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-19-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's go! The pool is OPEN!
Old 12-19-07, 09:27 AM

Thank you for not including Alan "I demand to be taken seriously" Keyes.

My picks:

Hunter
Tancredo
Thompson
Paul
McCain
Giuliani
Huckabee
Romney (Nominee)
Old 12-19-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hunter
Trancedo
Thompson
McCain
Romney
Huckabee
Paul
Giuliani
Old 12-19-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Tancredo
Hunter
Thompson
Paul
McCain
Giuliani
Romney
Huckabee
Old 12-19-07, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I excluded Keyes because I only have room for 8 candidates. We don't need both pools with a "Kucinich" in it.
Old 12-19-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My picks:

Tancredo
Hunter
Thompson
McCain
Paul
Giuliani
Huckabee
Romney
Old 12-19-07, 09:39 AM

Hunter
Tancredo
McCain
Thompson
Paul
Giuliani
Huckabee
Romney (nominee)

Lord save us...
Old 12-19-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Venusian
Hunter
Trancedo
Thompson
McCain
Romney
Huckabee
Paul
Giuliani
If he loses IA, NH, SC, FL - do you still think Giulliani is going to be the nominee?
Old 12-19-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by classicman2
If he loses IA, NH, SC, FL - do you still think Giulliani is going to be the nominee?
Heading off this hijack...

Gang, there are LOTS of threads to discuss candidate's predicted performance in different states, to pick apart their platforms, to criticize them for their hairstyles and other fun topics. Let's have those discussions THERE, and keep THIS thread focused on the pool, okay?

Mods, can you pls keep an eye on this thread (like you're doing for the Dem Pool) and prune posts as necessary? Thanks!
Old 12-19-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not too sure on the nominee, I figure I'll have to switch it after Iowa when hopefully there will be a better picture. I just picked Giulianni right now because no one else did

crap...sorry...end hijack.
Old 12-19-07, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Trancedo
Hunter
Thompson
McCain
Huckabee
Romney
Paul
Giuliani
Old 12-19-07, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by me
Trancedo
Hunter
Thompson
McCain
Huckabee
Romney
Giuliani
Paul

same picks for me. fox news loves giuliani too much to let him slip.....even with the drag photos and all that. And hopefully, most people won't be too comfortable with a Mormon president.

edited for "uniqueness"

Last edited by dick_grayson; 12-19-07 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-19-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

you can't duplicate picks
Old 12-19-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk God

This one is a helluva lot harder.

Tancredo
Hunter
Thompson
Huckabee
Giuliani
McCain
Paul
Romney

The one thing I would bet on is Paul being the last to drop out - everything else is near impossible to handicap.

Last edited by Red Dog; 12-20-07 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-19-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Some are going the distance regardless. McCain & Paul come to mind.

Tancredo
Hunter
Thompson
Giuliani
Romney
Paul
McCain
Huckabee
Old 12-19-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Tancredo
Hunter
Thompson
Paul
McCain
Giuliani
Romney
Huckabee
Old 12-19-07, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Tancredo
Hunter
McCain
Thompson
Giuliani
Paul
Huckabee
Romney

Edit: Switched Tancredo and Hunter since I haven't been locked in yet. Hope that's not against the rules.

Last edited by JasonF; 12-19-07 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-19-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tancredo
Hunter
Thompson
Giuliani
McCain
Huckabee
Paul
Romney
Old 12-19-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hunter
Trancedo
Thompson
Romney
McCain
Huckabee
Paul
Giuliani
Old 12-19-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Trancedo
Hunter
Paul
McCain
Huckabee
Romney
Thompson
Giuliani

Made my move...can lose before the game starts

Last edited by MartinBlank; 12-20-07 at 02:05 AM.
Old 12-19-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk God

I must be out of touch. I can't imagine Romney winning it.
Old 12-19-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I must be out of touch. I can't imagine Romney winning it.
I must be out of touch too. I can't imagine Giuliani winning it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.