Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Article: High tech foreigners emigrating back home.

Old 12-17-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Article: High tech foreigners emigrating back home.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/b...1n16brain.html

One-quarter of the 700,000 students who left China between 1978 and 2003 have gone back, China's Ministry of Education has reported. Most of those left the United States recently, with more than 20,000 a year returning to China in the past five years, according to the ministry.

The same economic draw for returnees is happening in India.

An advertisement posted recently on an online job bank offered by Sabinsa Corp., a biotechnology company in Bangalore, India, sought someone to head its proteomics initiative, which studies the structure and ever-changing functions of proteins that play a central role in the life of an organism. The position paid $100,000 annually, plus free housing and a car.

That salary in India would allow someone to easily afford a chauffeur, a maid and child care, said Deb Chakravarti, head of the proteomics program at the Keck Graduate Institute of Applied Life Sciences in Claremont.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Might be interesting how this phenomenon develops. So the big question now becomes...does this open up more high paying job opportunities here in the states, or will companies choose to export the jobs overseas to the workers.
Old 12-17-07, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
the ones going back to India will probably be doing the same work, for the same US companies, for less money, but have a better standard of living
Old 12-17-07, 08:08 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by wabio
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/b...1n16brain.html

One-quarter of the 700,000 students who left China between 1978 and 2003 have gone back, China's Ministry of Education has reported. Most of those left the United States recently, with more than 20,000 a year returning to China in the past five years, according to the ministry.

The same economic draw for returnees is happening in India.

An advertisement posted recently on an online job bank offered by Sabinsa Corp., a biotechnology company in Bangalore, India, sought someone to head its proteomics initiative, which studies the structure and ever-changing functions of proteins that play a central role in the life of an organism. The position paid $100,000 annually, plus free housing and a car.

That salary in India would allow someone to easily afford a chauffeur, a maid and child care, said Deb Chakravarti, head of the proteomics program at the Keck Graduate Institute of Applied Life Sciences in Claremont.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Might be interesting how this phenomenon develops. So the big question now becomes...does this open up more high paying job opportunities here in the states, or will companies choose to export the jobs overseas to the workers.
It's not really a phenom. I've known several foreigners from college who did just this. They went to school in the US to get ahead, and knew if they went back to their country, they would be several times more affluent. It's reverse-outsourcing at its best. Take advantage of the education in the US, then use your skills somewhere else. Of course, I wonder if they ever paid their student loans back, because I highly doubt you would have your paycheck garnished in India or China for defaulted student loans in the US.
Old 12-18-07, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

don't you have to be a US citizen or some kind of permanent resident and register for selective service to get loans?
Old 12-18-07, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by al_bundy
don't you have to be a US citizen or some kind of permanent resident and register for selective service to get loans?
No, no, every immigrant is stealing from DVD Polizei's pocket. Every single one.

So, 75% are staying here, eh?
Old 12-18-07, 08:21 AM

I'm not surprised, since a lot of skilled and educated foreigners come to places like the USA, only to end up as taxi drivers or pizza deliverers despite their education and qualifications. The American Dream isn't for everybody.
Old 12-18-07, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I know a lot of people who came here saying they were going back and never did. But $100,000 in the U.S. is good money. In India, it makes you uber rich.

I don't think foreign students can get federal loans, but I could be wrong about that.