Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Gang rape victim is sentenced to 200 lashes and 6 months in jail. Guess where?

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 11-16-07, 10:18 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7098480.stm

Last Updated: Friday, 16 November 2007, 15:19 GMT

Saudi gang rape sentence 'unjust'

A lawyer for a gang-rape victim in Saudi Arabia who was sentenced to 200 lashes and six-months in jail says the punishment contravenes Islamic law.

The woman was initially punished for violating laws on segregation of the sexes - she was in an unrelated man's car at the time of the attack.

When she appealed, judges doubled her sentence, saying she had been trying to use the media to influence them.

Her lawyer has been suspended from the case and faces a disciplinary session.

Abdel Rahman al-Lahem told the BBC Arabic Service that the sentence was in violation of Islamic law:

"My client is the victim of this abhorrent crime. I believe her sentence contravenes the Islamic Sharia law and violates the pertinent international conventions," he said.

"The judicial bodies should have dealt with this girl as the victim rather than the culprit."

The lawyer also said that his client his will appeal against the decision to increase her punishment.

Segregation laws

According to the Arab News newspaper, the 19-year-old woman, who is from Saudi Arabia's Shia minority, was gang-raped 14 times in an attack in Qatif in the eastern province a year-and-a-half ago.

Seven men from the majority Sunni community were found guilty of the rape and sentenced to prison terms ranging from just under a year to five years.

The rapists' sentences were also doubled by the court. Correspondents say the sentences were still low considering the rapists could have faced the death penalty.

The rape victim was punished for violating Saudi Arabia's laws on segregation that forbid unrelated men and women from associating with each other. She was initially sentenced to 90 lashes for being in the car of a strange man.

On appeal, the Arab News reported that the punishment was not reduced but increased to 200 lashes and a six-month prison sentence.

'Personal views'

Mr Lahem accused the court of letting personal views influence its decision:

"It seems that the sentence was influenced by the fact that the woman escalated the issue with her lawyer and also with the supreme judicial authorities," he said.

"This is astonishing because justice is supposed to be independent from all pressures as well as personal considerations, be it a feeling towards the lawyer or defendant herself," he added.

The Arab News quoted an official as saying the judges had decided to punish the girl for trying to aggravate and influence the judiciary through the media.

Mr Lahem said that the judges' decision to confiscate his license to work and stop him from representing his client is illegal.

You have to love Islamic law!

Chris
Old 11-16-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

saudi arabia was one of the coolest countries i've been in
Old 11-16-07, 12:11 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

You need sensitivity training. It's their culture, how can you make moral judgements. Besides, the founding fathers had slaves.
Old 11-16-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, reminds me of this case. Stupid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amina_Lawal
Old 11-16-07, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Makes you sort of appreciate our current "police state"
Old 11-16-07, 12:22 PM

Truly, we should invade to stop these horrible human rights abuses. What's that, you say? They deal with us on oil? Oh, then it's all good.
Old 11-16-07, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Originally Posted by Superboy
Makes you sort of appreciate our current "police state"
Old 11-16-07, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Truly, we should invade to stop these horrible human rights abuses. What's that, you say? They deal with us on oil? Oh, then it's all good.
I almost thought you were a troll, until I saw your user name.

Then I realized that you're THE troll.

Seriously though, invading them won't do any good. All it will do is put innocent civilians and their property in the crossfire, cause more tension in the region, inflate the hatred of the United States around the world, drain our taxpayer dollars, and worst of all, increase Fox News ratings when their pundits have a ball spinning this issue.
Old 11-16-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Groucho

Bah, bitch when we invade, bitch when we don't. We got oil from Iraq as well. I see the point, but it is a straw man.
Old 11-16-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Here's the real problem with middle eastern countries:

They believe that doubling 90 is 200.

Go to school!
Old 11-16-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bhk
You need sensitivity training. It's their culture, how can you make moral judgements. Besides, the founding fathers had slaves.
I don't know if I agree with your views, but you're slowly starting to come around.
Old 11-16-07, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by bhk
And I told them at the time that it was wrong!

Chris
Old 11-16-07, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superboy
Seriously though, invading them won't do any good. All it will do is put innocent civilians and their property in the crossfire, cause more tension in the region, inflate the hatred of the United States around the world, drain our taxpayer dollars, and worst of all, increase Fox News ratings when their pundits have a ball spinning this issue.
how can you say that after what's happened in Iraq?
Old 11-16-07, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was going to say Florida, but okay!
Old 11-16-07, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This kind of injustice is nothing new in the Wahhabi nation; they hate all shias, sufis, other muslims, christians, jews, anybody except themselves that is... should have bombed Riyadh instead...
Old 11-17-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 11-17-07, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason

Not sure what it proves

I'm sure that after the "sentence" is carried out, this gift from the House of Saud will hang in a place of honor in her office.
Old 11-17-07, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

"Psst. Mr. President? You're my bitch."
Old 11-17-07, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
It's not necessarily that we get oil from SA or Iraq (since I think we get very little oil period from the middle East - mostly Africa and Venezuela now), but that most of our allies and the rest of the western world - Europe, Japan, etc are so dependent on a stable flow from that area - plus that freaking OPEC cartel can mess with world prices whether or not we're buying from one member or another.
Old 11-18-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And again, I think stories like this are crucial to formulating a strategy as to how the west deals with Islam in general. Punishments like this are NOT some freakish interpretation of Islam by a small band of radicals who have hijacked the religion---these are standard religious rulings by the prominents scholars from the heartland of Sunni Islam. And religious rulings handed out by the most authoritative and powerful Shia clerics in Iran are not much different. This is mainstream Islam. I'm all for supporting Muslim groups who specifically endorse a liberalized version of Islam that is compatible with secular western law, and I've posted numerous links to those groups before---but it's THOSE groups that are the tiny minority within Islam. They wield very little power within Islam, either theologically, or in terms of popular support of Muslims worldwide. Whether you're dealing with issues of terrorism, immigration or mid-east politics, I think this is a crucial fact that many still don't want to acknowledge.
Old 11-18-07, 10:23 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
And again, I think stories like this are crucial to formulating a strategy as to how the west deals with Islam in general. Punishments like this are NOT some freakish interpretation of Islam by a small band of radicals who have hijacked the religion---these are standard religious rulings by the prominents scholars from the heartland of Sunni Islam. And religious rulings handed out by the most authoritative and powerful Shia clerics in Iran are not much different. This is mainstream Islam. I'm all for supporting Muslim groups who specifically endorse a liberalized version of Islam that is compatible with secular western law, and I've posted numerous links to those groups before---but it's THOSE groups that are the tiny minority within Islam. They wield very little power within Islam, either theologically, or in terms of popular support of Muslims worldwide. Whether you're dealing with issues of terrorism, immigration or mid-east politics, I think this is a crucial fact that many still don't want to acknowledge.
Racist
Old 11-18-07, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bhk
Racist

You're saying it jokingly, but as you well know, the debate gets shut down worldwide by people saying that seriously.
Old 11-18-07, 10:31 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi

You're saying it jokingly, but as you well know, the debate gets shut down worldwide by people saying that seriously.
Yes. There's one particular poster who tries to end threads on the bad boys of Islam by using that word.
Old 11-20-07, 10:40 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071120/..._rape_usa_dc_1

Saudi defends verdict against gang-rape victim
51 minutes ago

RIYADH (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia defended on Tuesday a court's decision to sentence a woman who was gang-raped to 200 lashes of the whip, after the United States described the verdict as "astonishing."

The 19-year-old Shi'ite woman from the town of Qatif in the Eastern Province and an unrelated male companion were abducted and raped by seven men in 2006.

Ruling according to Saudi Arabia's strict reading of Islamic law, a court had originally sentenced the woman to 90 lashes and the rapists to jail terms of between 10 months and five years. It blamed the woman for being alone with an unrelated man.

Last week the Supreme Judicial Council increased the sentence to 200 lashes and six months in prison and ordered the rapists to serve between two and nine years in jail.

The ruling provoked rare criticism from the United States, which is trying to persuade Saudi Arabia to attend a Middle East peace conference in Annapolis, Maryland next week.

A State Department spokesman told reporters on Monday that "most (people) would find this relatively astonishing that something like this happens."

The court also took the unusual step of initiating disciplinary procedures against her lawyer, Abdul-Rahman al-Lahem, forcibly removing him from the case for having talked about it to the media.

"The Ministry of Justice welcomes constructive criticism ... The system allows appeals without resort to the media," said Tuesday's statement issued on the official news agency SPA.

It berated media for not specifying that three judges, not one, issued the recent ruling and reiterated that the "charges were proven" against the woman.

It also repeated the judges' attack against Lahem last week, saying he had "spoken insolently about the judicial system and challenged laws and regulations."

Lahem was not available for comment.

New York-based Human Rights Watch has called on King Abdullah, who last month announced plans to overhaul the system, to drop all charges against the woman.

A series of erratic verdicts have focused attention on the Saudi legal system, which is dominated by clerics who adhere to the kingdom's austere Sunni form of Islamic law. Personal status law remains uncodified and the system does not recognize the concept of precedent.

(Reporting by Andrew Hammond; Editing by Caroline Drees)

Chris
Old 11-20-07, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

F'd up.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.