Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Who would you send a letter to about Global Warming?

Old 11-15-07, 04:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Who would you send a letter to about Global Warming?

I am doing "Green Week" with my classes and i had an idea of having the kids fictiously write a letter or e-mail to someone who would listen to them about the deteriorating environment. Was wondering if peeps here could list some people in Gov't particularly that this might be good for?

Of course: Al Gore

but who else? thanks much.
Old 11-15-07, 04:40 PM
Banned

The best action is to contact your own representatives on both the local and national level. They're in the business (theoretically) of representing your interests. They'll put more stock in feedback from their own constituents than they will from people who are outside their districts or states.

EDIT: and it doesn't matter if they support efforts to counter global climate change or not. In fact, it's probably more important to contact those who don't so that they know it's an important issue for their constituents.

Last edited by Out of Bounds; 11-15-07 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-15-07, 04:40 PM
X
Administrator

The sun? Mother Nature maybe.
Old 11-15-07, 04:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by X
The sun? Mother Nature maybe.

I really think the guy wanted a legitimate answer.
Old 11-15-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Is 'I wouldn't' a legitimate answer?
Old 11-15-07, 04:45 PM
Banned

It's kind of sad how flip people can be around here. Oh well.
Old 11-15-07, 04:46 PM
X
Administrator

Sending a letter to someone who can't do anything about it is just complaining. Why not go to the source?
Old 11-15-07, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Out of Bounds
It's kind of sad how flip people can be around here. Oh well.
You're sitting really tall in the saddle on that high horse, aren't you?
Old 11-15-07, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Have them write letters to Al Gore asking him why he isn't willing to actually debate the subject.
Old 11-15-07, 05:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

The best action is to contact your own representatives on both the local and national level. They're in the business (theoretically) of representing your interests. They'll put more stock in feedback from their own constituents than they will from people who are outside their districts or states.

EDIT: and it doesn't matter if they support efforts to counter global climate change or not. In fact, it's probably more important to contact those who don't so that they know it's an important issue for their constituents.
thanks, good answer. i will look into the reps in our town. but what about more nationally? someone the kids might recognize, people like that...
perhaps Bush, though he pretty much denounces GW...
Old 11-15-07, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by scott1598
I am doing "Green Week" with my classes and i had an idea of having the kids fictiously write a letter or e-mail to someone who would listen to them about the deteriorating environment. Was wondering if peeps here could list some people in Gov't particularly that this might be good for?
Wow.. are you then going to follow up with an assignment where they could write about how global warming has been debunked and send that off as well? Or are you going only force them to subscribe to your point of view?

Last edited by General Zod; 11-15-07 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-15-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally Posted by scott1598

Of course: Al Gore

but who else? thanks much.
Since the environment in the US has improved dramatically in the last 50 years, why would one write a letter about the deteriorating environment? In China or India maybe. Or in the Soviet Bloc twenty years ago.

They could write a letter to Senator Inhofe thanking him for all he's done to inject a little sense into the global warming debate (which, according to Al Gore, is over).

Do you teach in a public or private school?
Old 11-15-07, 05:29 PM
Banned

I really don't think he was looking for a debate on the issue. It's kind of pathetic that y'all can't offer reasonable advice without resorting to snide comments.

scott1598: On the national level, Senators and Congressmen are a good target. As I said before, it's always a good idea to hit up YOUR Senators and Congressmen in particular. This holds true for any issue you're interested in, either pro or con. Other people you could target are environmental action groups like The Nature Conservancy, the EPA, and the NRDC. Again, if you're contacting these people, remember that you're essentially preaching to the choir. It can be much more effective, assuming you're advocating environmental action, to contact vocal opponents to environmental issues. Yet another strategy is to contact media sources like your local newspapers, national papers and national news networks.

Now, let's see if anyone else has any actual advice for you. I'm guessing the chances are slim at best.
Old 11-15-07, 05:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by classicman2
You're sitting really tall in the saddle on that high horse, aren't you?

Not at all. I'm just pointing out the facts. Look at the replies in this thread. Practically no one is giving him a legitimate answer to his question. They're either taking pot shots or using the thread as an excuse to ride their usual hobby horses (to return to the horse metaphor).
Old 11-15-07, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really don't think he was looking for a debate on the issue.
The indoctrinated rarely do. It threatens their skewed world view.
Old 11-15-07, 05:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by crazyronin
The indoctrinated rarely do. It threatens their skewed world view.

Yet another pot shot. Thanks for proving my earlier point.
Old 11-15-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yet another pot shot. Thanks for proving my earlier point.
What pot shot? The OP makes a definitive statement that can actually be disproved.

In the State of Maine, several rivers that were so polluted that swimming was actually banned are so clean that fish can actually be caught and eaten. The Androscoggin River was so toxic that fumes from the river could actually peel the paint off of riverside houses. The state has more forest cover now than it has since the early 1800's. Areas that were completely deforested are now completely recovered.
Old 11-15-07, 05:44 PM
Banned

Yeah, that proves that the environment is just fine and dandy.

If you honestly don't think your comment about indoctrination was a pot shot, I feel sorry for you.
Old 11-15-07, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that proves that the environment is just fine and dandy.

Your well reasoned and insightful rebuttal has convinced me.

WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!
Old 11-15-07, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Our deteriorating environment:

http://www.aei.org/books/bookID.817/book_detail.asp

Index of Leading Environmental Indicators 2005

Tenth Anniversary Edition
By Steven F. Hayward
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005
Index of Leading Environmental Indicators 2005
AEI Press/Pacific Research Institute
Publication Date: April 2005
Paperback
ISBN: 0936488948

Americans have reason to be optimistic about the nation's environmental progress and its future health, according to the Index of Leading Environmental Indicators, released by the Pacific Research Institute (PRI) and the American Enterprise Institute (AEI). This tenth anniversary edition of the Index reveals that environmental quality continues to improve in many key areas, including air pollution, mercury emissions, wetlands, and forestlands.

The trends mirror the feeling among Americans that the overall state of the environment is improving. According to an April 2005 PRI Harris Interactive poll, 56 percent of respondents revealed they are optimistic about the state of the environment and future progress on environmental quality.

"The findings of this year's Index may surprise many environmental activists," said Dr. Steven F. Hayward, senior fellow at PRI, F. K. Weyerhaeuser fellow at the American Enterprise Institute, and author of the Index of Leading Environmental Indicators. "The environment is perhaps the most successful public policy story of the last 30 years and the good news is getting noticed by the public."

Among the environmental quality improvements highlighted in the Index are the following:

Air Pollution has fallen to the lowest level ever recorded. Virtually the entire nation has achieved clean air standards for four of the six "criteria" pollutants regulated under the Clean Air Act (carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, and lead). In addition, air quality in the 10 largest metropolitan areas--five of which are in California--has improved by more than 53 percent since 1980.

Despite widely held beliefs, there continues to be very little correlation between regional air pollution rates and asthma rates. In fact, while air pollution rates have consistently declined, asthma rates have increased. In the United States, asthma rates in children under the age of five rose more than 160 percent between 1980 and 1994--a period when air pollution rates fell from 25 to 80 percent.

Mercury Emissions have declined by 45 percent during the 1990s, most of which is due to the phase-out of municipal and medical waste incineration. As a result, consumers can feel comfortable consuming fish, such as salmon and trout. Recent concerns about the safety of fish due to high mercury levels have abated thanks to guidance published in 2004 by the EPA which emphasized that "for most people, the risk from mercury by eating fish and shellfish is not a health concern."

Forestland in the eastern half of the United States is increasing at a rate of one million acres a year.

Wetlands continue to multiply, with a growth of 26,000 acres a year.

Car Emissions, one of the largest contributors to air pollution, will be reduced by more than 80 percent over the next 25 years, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. According to an April PRI Harris Interactive poll, 74 percent of respondents revealed their belief that cars are less polluting now than they were 25 years ago.

"Opinion is now becoming an accurate reflection of reality," said Dr. Hayward. "We're gratified that the Index, now in its tenth edition, has helped contribute to this turnaround."

Toxic Releases have declined since 1988, a sign of increasing efficiency and the "de-materialization" of our economy.

Global Warming's "hockey-stick" graph, believed to be one of the leading indicators of global warming, is now being called "rubbish." Scientists have shown that the graph's underlying equation would generate the same result for any series of random numbers.

"In the 1990s most Americans believed environmental quality was declining," said Dr. Hayward. "But now, with a decade of compiled research in the Index, we've found that it is nearly impossible to paint a grim, doom-and-gloom picture anymore. The facts speak for themselves, and the facts are hugely encouraging."
Of course the Pacific Research Institute and the American Enterprise Institute are evil, conservative/libertarian/free market think tanks and can't be trusted. But I'm certain they are using EPA and other government-gathered figures.
Old 11-15-07, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

EPA graphs:

http://www.epa.gov/air/airtrends/index.html

Old 11-15-07, 06:24 PM
Banned

You already have a thread for this stuff, movielib. I don't see how this is helping to answer the OP's question.
Old 11-15-07, 06:25 PM
Banned

Your well reasoned and insightful rebuttal has convinced me.

WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!

I love how you're making such a broad assumption about my position on the issue. In point of fact, I haven't stated ANY opinion on it in this thread. And again, you launch another pot shot. Very mature.
Old 11-15-07, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You already have a thread for this stuff, movielib. I don't see how this is helping to answer the OP's question.
Yeah. Nevermind that he starts with a flawed thesis. Its important that schoolchildren get it hammered into their heads, facts be damned.
Old 11-15-07, 06:28 PM
Banned

Yeah. Nevermind that he starts with a flawed thesis. Its important that schoolchildren get it hammered into their heads, facts be damned.

That makes three pot shots. You're going for the hat trick!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.