Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

YouTube video correctly predicts Finland school masacre that kills 7 teens & 1 adult

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

YouTube video correctly predicts Finland school masacre that kills 7 teens & 1 adult

Old 11-07-07, 12:47 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071107/...shooting_dc_12

Eight killed at Finland school after YouTube post

By Sami Torma
1 hour, 36 minutes ago

TUUSULA, Finland (Reuters) - Seven children were killed when a fellow student opened fire at a school in southern Finland on Wednesday, hours after a video was posted on YouTube predicting a massacre there.

The school principal also died. The gunman, who had walked through Jokela High School firing into classroom after classroom with a .22-caliber handgun, is in hospital after wounding himself in the head.

"Five boys, two girls and one adult woman were killed," police chief Matti Tohkanen told a news conference.

He later identified the woman as the principal of the school in Tuusula municipality, a town of 35,000 some 60 km (40 miles) from Helsinki.

The YouTube video, set to a hard-driving song called "Stray Bullet," shows a still photo of a low building that appears to be Jokela High School. The photo breaks apart to reveal a red-tinted picture of a man pointing a handgun at the camera.

"He (the gunman) was moving systematically through the school hallways, knocking on the doors and shooting through the doors," said Kim Kiuru, who was teaching a grade 8 class when the shooting began.

"It felt unreal, a pupil I have taught myself was running towards me, screaming, a pistol in his hand."

Police said the gun used in the massacre was legal and registered to the gunman on October 19.

"When police arrived there was complete chaos, pupils were jumping out of the building through the windows," said inspector Timo Leppala, head of the field investigation.

Outside a church community building close by, a mother waited as a Red Cross bus pulled up outside. She watched children stepping off the bus and burst into tears when, through a window, she spotted her child, unharmed.

STURMGEIST89 POSTING

The YouTube video, entitled "Jokela High School Massacre - 11/7/2007," was posted by a user called Sturmgeist89.

"I am prepared to fight and die for my cause," read a posting by a user of the same name.

"I, as a natural selector, will eliminate all who I see unfit, disgraces of human race and failures of natural selection." "Sturmgeist" means storm spirit in German.

Lyrics to various KMFDM songs, including "Stray Bullet," were posted on a web site maintained by Eric Harris, one of the gunmen in the 1999 Columbine High School massacre.

Hours after the shooting, the user's account was suspended.

The school serves some 500 middle and high school students.

"This is a peaceful place, nothing like this has happened and nothing like this is to be expected either," Tuusula mayor Hannu Joensivu said.

Despite having the world's third-largest per capita handgun ownership, violent incidents are rare at Finnish schools.

According to Finnish media, there have been four stabbings at schools since 1999. None of these caused fatalities.

Finnish Prime Minister Matti Vanhanen told reporters the shooting was an "extremely sad event."

The last major attack in the country occurred in 2002 when a young man killed including himself and six others in a bomb blast at a shopping mall in Helsinki.

(Additional reporting by Sakari Suoninen, Terhi Kinnunen and Agnieszka Flak; Editing by Robert Woodward)

Another terrible tragedy.

Chris
Old 11-07-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm going to make a prediction that at least one of these three things will be blamed for the shooting. Videogames, Music, or the U.S. (in some form or fashion).
Old 11-07-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lemdog
I'm going to make a prediction that at least one of these three things will be blamed for the shooting. Videogames, Music, or the U.S. (in some form or fashion).

You're avoiding the most controversial of all subjects: guns
Old 11-07-07, 01:02 PM

Seems to be a copycat of the Virginia Tech killer, no?
Old 11-07-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What the hell?
Old 11-07-07, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wabio
You're avoiding the most controversial of all subjects: guns
That one is a given.
Old 11-07-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Lemdog
I predict all 3. Furthermore I expect George Bush and the Iraq war to be blamed primarily.
Old 11-07-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I'm at least glad the shooter is still alive and didn't succeed in taking himself out like so many others have done. Hopfully he'll be capable to answer for what he's done.
Old 11-07-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CharlieK
Hopfully he'll be capable to answer for what he's done.
There is no "answer". You're talking about justice/retribution.

I'm a little confused if he was a student, how could he legally own a gun? Admittedly I don't know anything about gun control in the US (let alone Finland), but I assume you have to be at least 18 to own one. Has his age been released and I missed it?

Oh, I guess by the "89" in his screen name would imply that he's an old 17 or 18 already so maybe that answers my question.
Old 11-07-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Jokela High School Massacre - 11/7/2007

writings, pictures etc.) of the attack and attacker here:...Jokela High School Massacre Pekka-Eric Auvinen naturalselector89 Mass Murder Shooting Justice Revolutionary Misantrophy

Views: 38
Added: 12 hours ago

The video is no longer up, but that remains.
Old 11-07-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk God

That is a lot of people to kill with a .22. I can't imagine a single person being killed with a .22 before everyone could take him down. That's really odd. In all seriousness, you woul dgenerally have to shoot a 50lb animal 3-4 times to actually kill it with a .22 unless you had the gun up to it's head.
Old 11-07-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
There is no "answer". You're talking about justice/retribution.
Yes. Yes, I am.
Old 11-07-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes. Yes, I am.
I can get behind that
Old 11-07-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I say it's Youtube's fault.
Old 11-07-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

oh and the school should have had a sign up saying "no guns allowed". If they did, this never would've have happened. Because, you know, bad guys obey all signs and laws.
Old 11-07-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I say it's Youtube's fault.
I blame the WGA for making us entertain ourselves.
Old 11-07-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
I can get behind that
Oh well, he's dead. Died in the hospital. Hopefully there was some suffering and he was able to see some shameful and disgusted looks from his loved ones before he went.
Old 11-07-07, 03:38 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071107/...chool_shooting

Teen kills 8, himself at Finland school

12 minutes ago

TUUSULA, Finland - An 18-year-old student opened fire in a Finnish high school Wednesday, killing seven students and the principal before turning the gun on himself, police said.

The teenager, who was not identified, shot himself in the head but survived for a time. He died at Toolo Hospital, chief doctor Eero Hirvensalo said.

The attack at Jokela High School in Tuusula, some 30 miles north of the capital, Helsinki, shocked the Nordic nation, where gun ownership is fairly common by European standards but deadly shootings are rare.

Finnish media reported that in 1989 a 14-year-old boy shot and killed two students, apparently for teasing him.

Police said at a news conference after the attack that the gunman in Wednesday's attack shot the victims five boys, two girls and the female principal with a .22-caliber pistol. About a dozen other people were injured as they tried to escape the school, police said.

"He was from an ordinary family," police chief Matti Tohkanen said about the gunman, who belonged to a gun club and got a license for the pistol Oct. 19. He did not have a previous criminal record, he said.

Finnish media said the shooter revealed his plans in a YouTube posting before the attack.

The video, titled "Jokela High School Massacre," showed a picture of a building by a lake that appeared to be the high school, along with two photos of a young man holding a handgun. The person who posted the video was identified in the user profile as an 18-year-old man from Finland. The posting was later removed.

The profile contained a text calling for a "revolution against the system."

Another YouTube video clip showed a young man clad in a dark jacket loading a clip into a handgun and firing several shots at an apple placed on the ground in a forested area. He smiled and waved to the camera at the end of the clip.

A third clip showed photos of what appeared to be same man posing with a gun and wearing a T-shirt with the text "Humanity is overrated."

Police said they would investigate any possible connection the gunman might have had to the video.

Terhi Vayrynen, 17, a student at the school told The Associated Press that her brother Henri Vayrynen, 13, and his classmates had witnessed the shooting of the principal outside the school through the classroom window.

She said the gunman then came into Henri Vayrynen's class shouting: "Revolution! Smash everything!"

When no one did anything, he shot the TV and the windows of the class room but did not fire at the students. The he ran out and down the corridor, Terhi Vayrynen said.

Kim Kiuru, a teacher at the school, said the principal announced over the public address system just before noon that all students should remain in their classrooms.

"After that I saw the gunman running with what appeared to be a small-caliber handgun in his hand through the doors toward me after which I escaped to the corridor downstairs and ran in the opposite direction," Kiuru told reporters.

Kiuru said he saw a woman's body as he fled the building.

"Then my pupils shouted at me out of the windows to ask what they should do and I told them to jump out of the windows ... and all my pupils were saved," Kiuru said.

More than 400 students, from 12 to 18, were enrolled at Jokela, officials said.

Prime Minister Matti Vanhanen described the situation as "extremely tragic," and declared Thursday a day of national mourning with flags to be flown half-staff.

Chris
Old 11-07-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

wow, eight killed. that is very sad. the whole country must be in shock.

could students at the school speak English since it seems that the guy who posted the vids could? It's pretty bad pr for youtube.
Old 11-07-07, 04:51 PM

I believe English is spoken in a lot of those countries in that area.

Chris
Old 11-07-07, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

He was from an ordinary family...

Aren't they all. Terrible thing to happen.
Old 11-07-07, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I'm at least glad the shooter is still alive and didn't succeed in taking himself out like so many others have done. Hopfully he'll be capable to answer for what he's done.
So that the state could have spent a load of money trying him and then putting him to death themselves? You revenge seekers are rarely satisfied.

Last edited by Numanoid; 11-08-07 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-07-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finland ain't got no death penalty which I'm fine with because, well, I'm against it. He would have hopefully rotted in prison, which I'm even finer (?) with. If that's revenge, then so be it. Prick.
Old 11-07-07, 08:42 PM
Banned

Blame the WGA. This is what happens when the Fin's don't get new shows of Conan!
Old 11-07-07, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

<--- Glad he's dead

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.