Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Abstinence-only programs FAIL except at wasting money

Old 11-07-07, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Abstinence-only programs FAIL except at wasting money

If you want RESULTS, only comprehensive sex education works per this article. If you want to have a "whizzing money down a rathole" contest, funding abstinence-only is the way to go.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071107/...33GejsBfys0NUE
Report: Abstinence programs don't work By H. JOSEF HEBERT, Associated Press Writer
18 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Programs that focus exclusively on abstinence have not been shown to affect teenager sexual behavior, although they are eligible for tens of millions of dollars in federal grants, according to a study released by a nonpartisan group that seeks to reduce teen pregnancies.

"At present there does not exist any strong evidence that any abstinence program delays the initiation of sex, hastens the return to abstinence or reduces the number of sexual partners" among teenagers, the study concluded.

The report, which was based on a review of research into teenager sexual behavior, was being released Wednesday by the nonpartisan National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy.

The study found that while abstinence-only efforts appear to have little positive impact, more comprehensive sex education programs were having "positive outcomes" including teenagers "delaying the initiation of sex, reducing the frequency of sex, reducing the number of sexual partners and increasing condom or contraceptive use."

"Two-thirds of the 48 comprehensive programs that supported both abstinence and the use of condoms and contraceptives for sexually active teens had positive behavior effect," said the report.

A spending bill before Congress for the Department of Health and Human Services would provide $141 million in assistance for community-based, abstinence-only sex education programs, $4 million more than what President Bush had requested.
{ed comment: Congress EXCELS at whizzing money in ratholes}

The study, conducted by Douglas Kirby, a senior research scientist at ETR Associates, also sought to debunk what the report called "myths propagated by abstinence-only advocates" including: that comprehensive sex education promotes promiscuity, hastens the initiative of sex or increases its frequency, and sends a confusing message to adolescents.

None of these was found to be accurate, Kirby wrote.

Instead, he wrote, such programs improved teens' knowledge about the risks and consequences of pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases and gave them greater "confidence in their ability to say 'no' to unwanted sex."

The sponsors of the study praised Kirby for his "thorough research" and for being "fair and evenhanded," but they also acknowledged that ETR Associates developed and markets several of the sex education curricula reviewed in the report. Several of the previous studies that were reviewed also were written by Kirby.

The report noted that there continues to be "too high levels of sexual risk-taking among teens" with 47 percent of all high schools students reporting having sex at least once and 63 percent saying they have engaged in sex by the spring semester of their senior year.

"Many teenagers do not use contraceptives carefully and consistently," said the report. About 40 of every 1,000 girls age 15 to 19 gave birth in 2005, the last year for which data was available, the report said.
Old 11-07-07, 10:35 AM

Wow, now that's a shock.
Old 11-07-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You mean telling teenagers not to have sex doesn't work? Great, now I have a new pick-up line! I mean... what?
Old 11-07-07, 10:43 AM
Admin-Thanos

If we just want it hard enough it can happen. It's not a question of money, it's a question of faith, damn it!
Old 11-07-07, 10:44 AM

WHAT? Next you'll tell me that "Just say no" isn't effective in reducing drug use.
Old 11-07-07, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Show me your study - I'll show you mine.
Old 11-07-07, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by classicman2
Post a link to a contrary study. We'll wait patiently.
Old 11-07-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk God

I don't have any problem with the idea that abstinence only programs do not work. I think you guys are living in a fantasy land if you think the other programs dealing with teen sex had any significant results either.

Teens do not get pregnant in this day and age because they don't know about condoms. Institute any other program, and we will still have plenty of pregnant teens. We got this program because of the results of other programs. Now we can go to the next program that produces the same results.
Old 11-07-07, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I don't have any problem with the idea that abstinence only programs do not work. I think you guys are living in a fantasy land if you think the other programs dealing with teen sex had any significant results either.

Teens do not get pregnant in this day and age because they don't know about condoms. Institute any other program, and we will still have plenty of pregnant teens.
So wouldn't the best approach be to teach them dispassionately about sex and birth control? It seems to make more sense than A) abstience programs that don't work or B) not teaching them anything at all.
Old 11-07-07, 10:55 AM

Show me your study, I'll show you my dozens and dozens of studies.
Old 11-07-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
So wouldn't the best approach be to teach them dispassionately about sex and birth control? It seems to make more sense than A) abstience programs that don't work or B) not teaching them anything at all.
I agree.

I'm just saying, let's not start thinking that the sex ed programs have much influence over whether or not kids will have sex, or have safe sex. Other influences are far greater. But I believe in actual education about sex, etc.
Old 11-07-07, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk God

I'll show you common sense. Telling a kid to "don't do something" rarely brings about the desired result.
Old 11-07-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk God

I'll take common sense over most studies anyday.

My point is there are conflicting studies on every subject imaginable. There's one of the first page of this forum currently - media bias.
Old 11-07-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I'll show you common sense. Telling a kid to "don't do something" rarely brings about the desired result.
<div><object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-neHN6BIDgE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-neHN6BIDgE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object></div>
Like this?
Old 11-07-07, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega
If we just want it hard enough it can happen.
That's the problem -- they want it, it's hard enough, and it happens.