Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Is it "Green Week" or month in the US right now?

Old 11-04-07, 11:56 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Is it "Green Week" or month in the US right now?

I've heard some specials are going on like the "Today Show" on NBC has Lauer, Roker, and Curry going to the different points on the earth, like Artic Circle, Antartica, and the Equator to report on the condition of the environment and the earth.

So is this like a national "Green Week" or something and where can I get more info. about it so I can do something with my classes this week?

Thanks.
Old 11-04-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Given the people doing it, I don't expect they will show that the ice in Antartica is increasing.

But I haven't heard about it being Green Week or anything, but I would have ignored it if I heard it, so it is still possible.
Old 11-04-07, 01:42 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

but, i thought i heard on some channel that it was "Green Week" and the today show special seems to point that way. i just need def. confirmation.
Old 11-04-07, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by scott1598
but, i thought i heard on some channel that it was "Green Week" and the today show special seems to point that way. i just need def. confirmation.
Do you not have access to Google for some reason?
Old 11-04-07, 02:52 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Do you not have access to Google for some reason?
I'm honored that the OP trusts the forum more than "official" sources.

Spread the word baby, "DVDTalk Politics - Your source for news and information."
Old 11-04-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega
I'm honored that the OP trusts the forum more than "official" sources.

Spread the word baby, "DVDTalk Politics - Your source for news and information."
I don't know, this is hardly the place to get any "green" information. Now if you want to hear green week ridiculed and criticized...
Old 11-04-07, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally Posted by scott1598
I've heard some specials are going on like the "Today Show" on NBC has Lauer, Roker, and Curry going to the different points on the earth, like Artic Circle, Antartica, and the Equator to report on the condition of the environment and the earth.

So is this like a national "Green Week" or something and where can I get more info. about it so I can do something with my classes this week?

Thanks.
I think this is just an NBC thing:

http://www.businessandmedia.org/arti...102170522.aspx

Football Goes Black to Hype NBC's 'Green Week'
Other programming wi[ll] include green soap opera wedding, lame cheerleading, eco-karaoke and Al Gore.

By Julia A. Seymour
Business & Media Institute
11/2/2007 5:08:28 PM

NBC is taking a “green” gamble to boost sagging ratings as sweeps month begins, by weaving environmental plotlines throughout its programming lineup including many primetime shows throughout “Green Week.”

Eco-programming will kickoff, literally, as “Football Night in America” goes dark for the final minute on November 4. Yes, because turning off those studio lights for one minute will somehow remedy the stadium lights that will burn brightly over the Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles game for the next three hours.

“We’re thinking of having Cris Collinsworth wear a miner’s helmet with a light,” show producer Michael Weisman told USA Today November 1.

According to the Web site for “Green Week,” viewers will presumably get to watch Hayden Panattiere offer the pathetic cheer, “R-E-C-Y-C-L-E, It’s our planet, let’s plant a tree” on “Heroes” November 5. Bringing a whole new meaning to the show’s previous catchphrase, “Save the Cheerleader, Save the World.”

The purpose of “Green Week” is “entertaining, informing and empowering Americans to lead greener lives,” according to the site.

Tuesday, November 6 will include eco-karaoke as “The Singing Bee” goes green, and “The Biggest Loser’s” will “discover how to exercise without the aid of electricity,” according to a TV Guide blog.

Even the green giant himself, Al Gore will be making a guest appearance on “30 Rock” November 8. According to the New York Post, “the cast was seen wearing ‘Gore ‘08’ t-shirts” during the episode taping.

That will be a big night with green issues playing prominently in “The Office,” “Scrubs” and “ER.” According to the TV Guide blog, the Janitor on “Scrubs” turns into an eco-Nazi after watching “An Inconvenient Truth,” and as rolling brownouts plague Chicago, maybe the cast of “ER” will demand some of those curly compact fluorescent lightbulbs. (“Get me some CFLs, STAT!”)

Morning show viewers can also expect an inundation of green stories. “Today” will be “going to the ends of the earth to report on the changing climate” beginning November 5, but hypocritically the crew will be belching carbon all the way to the Arctic, Ecuador and Antarctica.

NBC reporters and anchors have often made alarmist remarks about global warming. In January 2007, “Today” co-host Meredith Vieira said she was “running in the park on Saturday [a particularly warm January day], in shorts, thinking this is great, but are we all gonna die?”

The same network also tied global warming to the California wildfires on October 23, interviewing global warming alarmist Michael Oppenheimer.

“Green Week” will not be NBC and parent company Universal’s first foray into environmental activism. The networks also aired 75 hours of Gore’s failed Live Earth concerts back in July 2007.

Ann Curry, of NBC’s “Today” co-anchored those broadcasts and urged Al Gore to run for president in 2008 pleading, “Would you answer the call?”

NBC ratings are currently behind ABC, CBS and Fox according to Zap2It.com.
For a preview of the fun see:

http://www.nbc.com/Green/video/#mea=175503

Originally Posted by Jason
I don't know, this is hardly the place to get any "green" information. Now if you want to hear green week ridiculed and criticized...
Given the amount of misinformation certain to be disseminated and the extreme environmental bias of the MSM, I think it does deserve to be ridiculed.

Last edited by movielib; 11-04-07 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-04-07, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I look forward to how they weave a "green" theme into Las Vegas, the epitome of conspicuous consumption.
Old 11-04-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Have them do a book report on one of Bjorn Lomborg's books.
Old 11-04-07, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldDude
I look forward to how they weave a "green" theme into Las Vegas, the epitome of conspicuous consumption.
Not really in the show, but...

http://www.nbc.com/Green/video/#mea=175876

http://www.nbc.com/Green/video/#mea=176023

http://www.nbc.com/Green/video/#mea=176638 ("Global warming pollution comes from us" )
Old 11-04-07, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The SNF "green" thing was lame beyond words.
Old 11-05-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Nazgul
The SNF "green" thing was lame beyond words.
I didn't see that, but I find it hard to believe it outdid the lameness factor of the Sunday Night Football "green-out" - Costas and friends sitting in a darkened studio, lit by candles, while multiple HDTVs showed game highlights and sponsor logos, and the news ticker over their heads continued to show earlier scores.
Old 11-05-07, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk God

I love it. If this does not show that all "green" things are lame beyond words, nothing will. There are times, like these, when the symbolic is truly worthless.
Old 11-05-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk God

I love how on MSNBC this morning, they interviewed some greenie about things you can do to be more 'green.' Then in the very next segment, one of the hosts was laughing at how one of the others had a styrofoam container with their breakfast on the desk during the interview.
Old 11-05-07, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by flagstone
I didn't see that, but I find it hard to believe it outdid the lameness factor of the Sunday Night Football "green-out" - Costas and friends sitting in a darkened studio, lit by candles, while multiple HDTVs showed game highlights and sponsor logos, and the news ticker over their heads continued to show earlier scores.
For those who missed it, here is part of the halftime show, featuring a report from Matt Lauer in Greenland. Feel the green!
Old 11-05-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Review of "Green Week":

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features..._features_util

NBC's green campaign is enough to make you see red

Tom Jicha | TV and Radio Writer
November 5, 2007

NBC is going green this week. Given the free fall the network's ratings are in, maybe NBC should be more concerned with going black. Then again, this might explain its attention-seeking "Green Is Universal" stunt, a week of programming dominated by environmental themes.

You have to wonder if NBC is driven as much by guilt as altruism. Show business is gluttonous when it comes to the use of energy.

If you've never seen a sound stage, imagine a facility about the size of the Bank Atlantic Center, requiring round-the-clock heating and cooling to safeguard electronic equipment. Then imagine a few dozen of these. That would be one major studio. There are several spread around Los Angeles.

Let's not forget the private jets used to ferry executives and performers hither and yon. When they hit the ground, stretch limos are waiting. Forget what you saw on Emmy night; show business uses hybrids only when cameras are around.

What's more, one week of programs to raise public consciousness will have the same impact on the environment as those yellow happy faces have on civility.

Still, one week is better than none when it comes to raising consciousness about how we can keep the air we breathe and water we drink clean and safe.

Unfortunately, there is ample evidence that Green Is Universal week is just another backdoor attempt to perpetuate the global warming hysteria embraced by many in Hollywood, even though they arrogantly fail to practice what they preach.

Exhibits A and B: Assuring the former vice president another Emmy, a role for Al Gore (as himself) was created in this week's 30 Rock; later Thursday, Jay Leno will again pay homage to Gore on The Tonight Show. (One caveat: If the Writer's Guild strike is ongoing, The Tonight Show could have to go to repeats.)

Interestingly, according to a show description provided by NBC, the 30 Rock episode in which Gore appears will feature a (different) character who becomes so obnoxious with his preaching on the environment that everyone comes to hate him. Love that Tina Fey's subversive sense of humor.

Other Green Is Universal themed episodes range from responsible and entertaining to laughably contrived sermonizing:

•Having The Office's Michael get lost in the woods during a wilderness survival adventure could be a hoot.

•Forcing The Biggest Loser contestants to figure out ways to exercise without using electricity could have been designed by someone whose purpose was to mock the whole idea.

•The Singing Bee will feature only tunes about the Earth and environment. Plenty of good material there.

But the zenith of inanity will come on Deal or No Deal. The 26 briefcase-opening models, each hot enough to exacerbate global warming, will be attired in dresses made from recycled army parachutes, material unlikely to ever touch their bodies again. If this weren't asinine enough, Howie Mandel will enter the studio on a bicycle, with the women trailing on bikes of their own. Don't they usually walk?

Even if you take all of this at face value, NBC is undermining the entire project with a pointless stunt on The Today Show. Correspondents are being dispatched to the top (North Pole), bottom (South Pole) and middle (equator) of the Earth in a sweeps month ratings ploy. (Sweeps ratings always trump social responsibility.) According to NBC, this will entail more than 500,000 miles of travel — to what end?

A half-century ago, Edward R. Murrow wowed America by showing the Atlantic and Pacific oceans simultaneously on split screens. We've seen men playing golf on the moon since then. The thrill is gone.

NBC is clearly conscious of how this looks during Green Is Universal Week. It released a statement saying the network "will offset its carbon footprint in mileage and fuel."

Is there anyone other than Gore who has any idea what this means? However, it is appropriate during Green Is Universal Week, which is all about empty symbolism.
Old 11-06-07, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

reason NBC is going Green is because they are owned by General Electric, who wants to see green in their bank accounts.

GE sells billions of $$$ of alternative energy and other "green" products a year. this is like free advertising for them. a lot of other companies like Dow Corning and Dupont are pushing green crap because it means more profits for them
Old 11-06-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movielib
Given the amount of misinformation certain to be disseminated and the extreme environmental bias of the MSM, I think it does deserve to be ridiculed.
Maybe you should start a thread about it or something...