Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Atlanta is almost out of water

Old 11-02-07, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Atlanta is almost out of water

Not any talk about it here because I guess it is more interest to locals. As of last week, the government estimated, Atlanta had somewhere around 80 days worth of water left. We get most our water from Lake Lanier which is 15 feet low right now and dropping 3 feet a month.

There are a lot of dispute among the states issues here because the Army Corp of Engineers (who administer Lake Lanier) release water out of it at a rate of 3.2 billion gallons a day because AL and FL say they need it to survive (they are downstream on the Chatahoochee River). The Governor of Georgia (Sonny Perdue - yes, even our governors have country names) has tried to portray this as an issue of humans (in Atlanta) vs. mussels in FL. There is an endangered species of mussel that lives along the river that needs water to survive so the Corp of Engineers is limited to what they can do because of that.

Most articles I've read say that the state has never had serious conservation efforts and is now screwed and looking to place blame wherever they can. There was a temporary agreement to reduce the out flow from the lake by 16%. The governors are still trying to reach an agreement (I doubt they will).

Here are some details: http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...ge_tab_newstab

Some conservation: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071030/...t_saving_water
Old 11-02-07, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Could we get a moderator to move this to the proper forum?
Old 11-02-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

At least you don't live in Orme, TN. They are COMPLETELY out of water.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071102/D8SLGBV05.html
Old 11-02-07, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

why did you mention the chatahoochee? i went for years without hearing that name
Old 11-02-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They were talking about that town on the radio today. I like the quote in the article:

"I feel for the folks in Atlanta," he says, his gravelly voice barely rising above the sound of rushing water from the town's tank. "We can survive. We're 145 people. You've got 4.5 million people down there. What are they going to do? It's a scary thought."

I figured people would talk about the politics involved with the states disputes but looks like no one cares about Atlanta
Old 11-02-07, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw a brief item on the tube about this recently, something about Atlanta issuing a lawsuit to stop the flow of water to Florida.

"Water is life's mater and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water."
-- Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
Old 11-02-07, 09:13 AM

I care about Atlanta. Years ago in grad school I read a great book about postwar Atlanta municipal government by Clarence Stone called <i>Regime Politics: Governing Atlanta, 1946-1988</i>:

Anyway, it astounds me how millions of people will move to an area, blithely unconcerned over natural resource demands and allocation, and assuming that conditions will remain static.
Old 11-02-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, too bad I'm not a bottled water salesman. I'd be making mad dollarz!!!!

Looks like you guys finally got yourselves a Hurricane coming your way.
Old 11-02-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Did you that Atlanta is major airline hub?
Old 11-02-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Pauls Valley Municipal Airport
Lat: 34.71 Lon: -97.22 Elev: 968
Last Update on Nov 2, 8:47 am CDT

Overcast

57°F
(14°C) Humidity: 63 %
Wind Speed: SE 8 MPH
Barometer: 30.18"
Dewpoint: 45°F (7°C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi

Pauls Valley gets its water supply from Arbuckle Lake.
Old 11-02-07, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

At least you guys still have Michael Vick!

<--------was born in Atlanta

<--------probably never going back.
Old 11-02-07, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

have they passed common sense measures like no watering lawns yet or are they arguing about releasing more water?
Old 11-02-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Anyway, it astounds me how millions of people will move to an area, blithely unconcerned over natural resource demands and allocation, and assuming that conditions will remain static.
But do you honestly believe that anyone looks at water conditions before moving to a major city? I'm unaware of a big city running out of water.

Yeah al_bundy, North Georgia has a full on water ban outdoors. Lots of nurseries are close to going out of business. One county will charge you 50% more on your bill if you exceed 30,000 gallons a month. Can't ever imagine using that much water. All we can really do in our home is just be careful not to run water too much when washing dishes, brushing teeth and showering.

It's weird to see strict measures, yet some places like car washes remain open.
Old 11-02-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy
have they passed common sense measures like no watering lawns yet or are they arguing about releasing more water?
They have, but are doing a poor job of policing it.
Old 11-02-07, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
But do you honestly believe that anyone looks at water conditions before moving to a major city?
No, I don't believe anyone (or almost anyone) does, but it surprises me anyway.
Old 11-02-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Here is my problem with the crap you city folk get yourselves into by living in such a huge bunch. You end up getting laws passed that affect everyone, and many of us have absolutely no problem.

My town is fed from natural springs and wells on a mountain north of us. It feeds no one else. After it goes into my house and through the system, it is treated and goes into the same river that it would have gone to anyway. We have more water than would could know what to do with. But as a result of these types of things, we country folk will be forced to live under some new law that says you can't flush your toilet until it is half full.
Old 11-02-07, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In GA, you can water your lawns if you aren't using public water. So if you have a well or a creek, you can waste it all you want.
Old 11-02-07, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Here is my problem with the crap you city folk get yourselves into by living in such a huge bunch.
You realize that without cities the industrial revolution would have been impossible, and by extension, the capitalist system itself. Take that, comrade!
Old 11-02-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

why did you mention the chatahoochee? i went for years without hearing that name
Really? The Chattahoochee is an important part of our national heritage. For example, did you know that way down yonder on the Chattahoochee it gets hotter than a hoochie-coochie? I never knew how much that muddy water meant to me ...
Old 11-02-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
Really? The Chattahoochee is an important part of our national heritage. For example, did you know that way down yonder on the Chattahoochee it gets dirtier than some hoochie-coochie? I never knew how much that muddy water meant to me ...

fixed
Old 11-02-07, 12:30 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

There's a lot of water in the Midewest(esp. the great lake states) but the problem is, industries are less likely to move there because of the business environment. The winter isn't that great either.
Old 11-02-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What the Army Core of Eng releases every day for some stupid clam is about 4X what the entire city of Atlanta uses. So it might be useful to prioritize useful "common sense" measures.
Old 11-02-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Here is my problem with the crap you city folk get yourselves into by living in such a huge bunch. You end up getting laws passed that affect everyone, and many of us have absolutely no problem.

Well out here.....if you choose to live in the sticks (aka outside the bunch), you're house will burn to the ground sooner or later.
Old 11-02-07, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
You realize that without cities the industrial revolution would have been impossible, and by extension, the capitalist system itself. Take that, comrade!
The rate we are going I would imagine folks left in 2100 will strongly be wishing IR never happened.
Old 11-02-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by madara
The rate we are going I would imagine folks left in 2100 will strongly be wishing IR never happened.
Yeah, that extra 25 years added to the average human lifespan is a real bitch!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.