Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Should the U.S. government provide universal child care until age 5?

Old 10-30-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Should the U.S. government provide universal child care until age 5?

I just skimmed this book, to be fair I didn't read the whole thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Trap-Selling-A...3767288&sr=8-1

One thing that the author advocates is universal child care for all American children until the age of five -- provided by the government. He proposes that this will put an end to the "mommy wars" which currently divide American mothers between those who stay home with the kids and those who work.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-30-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk God

"Mommy Wars?"
Old 10-30-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't we already have something like this? If you need child care and can't afford it, then the govt pays.
Old 10-30-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
"Mommy Wars?"

moving to xcritic
Old 10-30-07, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Vibiana
I just skimmed this book, to be fair I didn't read the whole thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Trap-Selling-A...3767288&sr=8-1

One thing that the author advocates is universal child care for all American children until the age of five -- provided by the government. He proposes that this will put an end to the "mommy wars" which currently divide American mothers between those who stay home with the kids and those who work.

Any thoughts?
I've only read the efitorial reviews. Based on them, I would point out that one man's "selling out" is another man's "achieving his potential ($$$)." I don't think this guy represents me in any way shape or form.

So exactly what is he suggesting? Even if Mom stays home, the kid is forced to go to day care (by liberal but jack-booted thugs). Screw that.
Old 10-30-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

How about not having a kid if you can't find the proper time and money to deal with raising it?

I know... silly question.
Old 10-30-07, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by General Zod
How about not having a kid if you can't find the proper time and money to deal with raising it?
Why do you hate America so much?
Old 10-30-07, 01:53 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Of course they should. They should also provide the cars for them. After all, having healthcare coverage doesn't help anyone unless they can get to their doctors office.
Old 10-30-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How about those poor six year olds? Why should they be left out?
Old 10-30-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lemdog
How about those poor six year olds? Why should they be left out?
"7's the key number here. Think about it. 7-Elevens. 7 doors. 7, man, that's the number. 7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea. It's like you're dreamin' about Gorgonzola cheese when it's clearly Brie time, baby."
Old 10-30-07, 02:05 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, and the government should mandate minimum wage at $100,000 per year. Why should some children have to be driven around in light cars that aren't as safe as a Mercedes or Audi.
Old 10-30-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

so when someone's kid gets hurt, who do you sue? i bet there is going to be a law that says you can't sue a government child care center. and i bet it's going to have top notch service. even better than all the corporate subsidized child care that a lot of the fortune 500 companies pay for like Bright Horizons
Old 10-30-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk God

What could possibly go wrong?

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pag...u_sid=10159915

Baby Joel Anaya was welcomed home Tuesday into his mother's arms. And his father's arms. And his sister's. And his brother's. And another sister's. And another brother's.

In fact, all nine of Joel's siblings held, kissed or otherwise fawned over the 6-week-old brother they hadn't seen since he was whisked into foster care last week.

"Finally, he's home," said older brother John Anaya. "He should have never left."

The family of 12 piled onto a small couch for a photograph of the happy moment, with the baby in the center. Not having Joel "has been very stressful for the family," said Josue Anaya, their father.

Despite the objections of Josue Anaya and his wife, Mary, Joel's blood was drawn Friday and screened for medical conditions, as required by state law. The tests screen for a variety of conditions, including cystic fibrosis and sickle cell disease, which could lead to mental retardation or death.

Joel had been in state custody since Oct. 10 when a petition was filed in Douglas County Juvenile Court alleging the Anayas put their son at risk by not having him screened.

Following a court order, Joel remained in foster care until the preliminary test results were received Tuesday and showed the baby was not predisposed to any of the disorders, the Anayas' attorney said. The Anayas then were reunited with their son, and prosecutors dismissed the case.

Joel's parents say they object to the blood withdrawal because of their religious beliefs and conscience. They believe in certain Scriptures that say life is in the blood.

Attorney Jeff Downing, who represents the Anayas, said it was appalling that Joel's blood was drawn before the Anayas had an opportunity to appeal the judge's decision.

"We can't undo what was done," Downing said. "But from a legal standpoint, we have a right to appeal."

They are considering filing an appeal, either in Douglas County District Court or the Nebraska Court of Appeals, he said.

Judge Elizabeth Crnkovich was not looking out for the child's best interests in Friday's court hearing, Downing said, criticizing her comment that it was inappropriate to allow Mary Anaya the frequent visits needed to breastfeed Joel at every meal.

Not allowing Mary Anaya to consistently breastfeed Joel during the critical first few weeks of attachment put him at greater risk than the chance that he had one of the diseases being screened for, Downing said.

She was allowed some visits and was able to nurse the baby during those times.

Mary Anaya, 40, said she will keep pushing for Nebraska to adopt an exception to the state-mandated testing, for the sake of her children and the grandchildren she hopes to have in the future.

Most states provide some sort of exception for people who object to the blood tests based on "religious" or "sincerely held" beliefs. Nebraska has no such provision.

Joel was born at home. Workers with the Nebraska Health and Human Services Department routinely cross-check a database of newborns who have had the screening with birth certificates issued. In Joel's case, a worker noticed the boy had a birth certificate but had not been screened.

The HHS worker first sent the Anayas a certified letter informing them that their baby needed to be screened in accordance with state law. She also called Mary Anaya, congratulated her on her new baby and asked if she planned to have the baby screened, according to court testimony.

Mary Anaya said she did not. Then the worker asked Mary if she knew what would happen next. Mary said, yes, we've been through this before.

The Anayas previously fought a court order that required that the testing be done on their daughter Rosa. But in 2005, the Nebraska Supreme Court upheld the order to have the testing performed. In that case, Rosa remained in the Anayas' custody while the case was being argued.

So when sheriff's deputies arrived Oct. 10 to take Joel into state custody, it was a complete shock, Mary Anaya said. She expected to be summoned to court, but she didn't expect her child to be placed in foster care.

In court Friday, Mary Anaya explained that part of her objection to the blood screening is she doesn't believe in inflicting pain on a healthy infant. She also said the Bible talks about how life is in the blood. "To me, the blood is something important and not to be tampered with lightly," she told the court.

Mary Anaya declined to discuss her religious beliefs in detail Tuesday because she said she feared others might mock them. Anaya and her husband are ordained ministers. They also are administrators of the Mission for All Nations food and clothing pantry in Omaha.

They have avoided having the metabolic screening done on most of their 10 children, who now are ages 21 years to 6 weeks.

Every parent chooses the risks they are or are not willing to take with their own children, she said, adding that she won't allow her son to play football because of the risk he could be injured.
Cliffnotes: Family objects to state mandated blood screening on religious grounds. State has no exception to the law. Sheriffs show up and take a 5 week old baby from his family for nearly 6 days to get tests done, all of which are negative. They screenng is for diseases that apply to around 1 in 10,000 to 1 in 30,000 infants. Baby was nursing still. Mom allowed a few visits to nurse, but baby was still nursing 9-10 a day.

What could possibly go wrong with the government having more control?
Old 10-30-07, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
What could possibly go wrong?

What could possibly go wrong with the government having more control?
Wow, liberal, but jack-booted, thugs gone wild.
When I said it before, it was meant to be a joke.
Old 10-30-07, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by OldDude
Wow, liberal, but jack-booted, thugs gone wild.
When I said it before, it was meant to be a joke.
See, I thought you were serious.
Old 10-30-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bhk
Of course they should. They should also provide the cars for them. After all, having healthcare coverage doesn't help anyone unless they can get to their doctors office.
You know, why do we need roads? If you have enough money you should be able to build your own highway or have a jet.

Also, who needs firefighters or the police? Your mansion should have a good anti-burglar system and fire suppression system.
Old 10-30-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by The Bus
You know, why do we need roads? If you have enough money you should be able to build your own highway or have a jet.

Also, who needs firefighters or the police? Your mansion should have a good anti-burglar system and fire suppression system.

Good analogy if your answer is to tax sick people.
Old 10-30-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Taxing for the ounce of prevention I guess is not spending wisely to some people.
Old 10-30-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Based on how the government uses tax money, they will tax for two pounds of prevention. While I am not a fan, you would be better off giving another tax credit to people with kids under 5 and letting them make their own choice in health care.
Old 10-30-07, 02:59 PM

Based on how the government uses tax money, they will tax for two pounds of prevention. While I am not a fan, you would be better off giving another tax credit to people with kids under 5 and letting them make their own choice in health care.
I've grown leery of using taxes as social policy, especially when it's an incentive for people to create more children.
Old 10-30-07, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Like I said, I'm not a fan. But I think it is an option that would do the least harm to the health system, insurance, etc.

I think it gives the gov't less foothold into going with a universal plan as well.
Old 10-30-07, 03:14 PM

I think it gives the gov't less foothold into going with a universal plan as well.
But I oppose that idea too.
Old 10-30-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk God

So do I. I am giving my lesser of two evils solution. Both are still evil.
Old 10-30-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do whatever you want, just do not raise my taxes.