Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Middle class healthcare. The real donut hole.

Old 10-27-07, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Middle class healthcare. The real donut hole.

It seems a fair majority of members have expressed opposition against federal sanctioned healthcare.....for some legitimate reasons. I'm just curious if anyone else (besides me) has noticed the recent trends in health coverage? Mainly, the growing gap in coverage amongst the middle class working adults. Many are getting dropped or paying a greater portion out of pocket nowadays.

The affluent either possess coverage or have the resources to pay for adequate healthcare. Many poor are often covered by state sponsored health programs for the needy such as MassHealth, MediCal, Medicaid (via federal) etc. Children, retirees, and the disabled have their own programs. It seems unfair to insure only low-income individuals simply due to unaffordability, when those who are slightly better off cannot afford insurance either. At what point do you think this problem will get addressed? The clock is ticking.
Old 10-28-07, 11:31 AM
Admin-Thanos

My health insurance plan for me and my wife through my company would be nearly $400 a month. Luckily my wife is a state employee and gets the same Blue Cross and Blue Shield coverage for $180 a month. Yay government subsidized healthcare!
Old 10-28-07, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We just moved to Colorado and it sucks finding healthcare for our entire 3-person family. Mucho $$$. It looks now like we won't have maternity coverage either when we have our next kid, which is a bit scary. They treat it like a pre-existing condition, which means if we <i>get</i> pregnant within the next 9 months (not already pregnant) then the maternity rider (which we are already paying for) is cancelled. It's stupid and I might cancel it altogether. I don't want to plan our family based on when our insurance company thinks we should have a kid.
Old 10-28-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My premium is paid for by my employer and I just have to pay copays, so no. But I'm single and not popping out kids.

That reminds me, I need to start doing research for what second HDTV to buy.
Old 10-28-07, 01:31 PM

I am a union electrician so no worries for my health insurance, at least right now. Just copays for my wife, son and myself.
Old 10-28-07, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just switched jobs. My old job was giving me blue care network and subsidizing part of the cost so that it only cost me about $220/month for HMO coverage. My new job manages their own health care and I can either have a PP for $380/month or a "HIGH Deductible" plan for $200/month. These prices are for me and my wife, no kids. I'm pretty much having to go with the high deductible plan ($2500/year deductible) just because I really can't afford to be paying about $400/month on health care. It's ridiculous.

Michael
Old 10-28-07, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just switched jobs and my portion of my insurance more than doubled. I had talked with the HR representative at my new employer before I accepted the job, but I misunderstood exactly how the insurance worked except that I am preganat and the new insurance will cover it. I have a $3000 deductible for each calander year and will not have this baby until Feb. I will pay $6000 for this child birth.
Old 10-28-07, 10:09 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by girlnextdoor
I just switched jobs and my portion of my insurance more than doubled. I had talked with the HR representative at my new employer before I accepted the job, but I misunderstood exactly how the insurance worked except that I am preganat and the new insurance will cover it. I have a $3000 deductible for each calander year and will not have this baby until Feb. I will pay $6000 for this child birth.
Who do you think should be paying for it?
Old 10-28-07, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk God

This is a tough one. Insurance for my family is throgh my wife's work as a school teacher. The total cost of the plan is about $1200 a month and the state kicks in about half of that. So we pay about $600 a month. That is higher than most pay that have posted on the topic and have a job that covers some, but it still seems like a great deal to me. If they didn't pay $600, we would be paying $1200 instead. Seems like a good deal.

For a single teacher, the amount the state kicks in covers everything, including dental and vision (we don't get those). Why should I expect that my spouses employer would care about MY coverage?
Old 10-29-07, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
For a single teacher, the amount the state kicks in covers everything, including dental and vision (we don't get those). Why should I expect that my spouses employer would care about MY coverage?
Good question. If I were your spouse's employer I wouldn't care about you either.
Old 10-29-07, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

add up the cost of care you get and compare it to your premium
Old 10-29-07, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020
Fixed
<i>Mod note: Please read <a href = "http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=448146">the forum rules</a>. There is no "fixing" of posts in the Politics forum. Thank you.</i>
Old 10-29-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk God

My coverage (which is high-end) is $75/mo. The regular coverage would be $60/mo.
Old 10-29-07, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is a tough one. Insurance for my family is throgh my wife's work as a school teacher. The total cost of the plan is about $1200 a month and the state kicks in about half of that. So we pay about $600 a month. That is higher than most pay that have posted on the topic and have a job that covers some, but it still seems like a great deal to me. If they didn't pay $600, we would be paying $1200 instead. Seems like a good deal.

That is the same in Texas for my wife. She is on her plan and I am on my works plan. The family cost is even more than you pay right now.
Old 10-29-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
My coverage (which is high-end) is $75/mo. The regular coverage would be $60/mo.
You are single, no kids When that was me, I paid $16/month and had a $1000 deductable + $15-$25 copays with Aetna

Now with family coverage, I pay $200/month for Kaiser, + $15 copays (for the most part)

Had I stuck with Aetna, I would pay $400/month, and have $20-$35 copays.

The majority of the copays seemed to be the $35 ones with Aetna It's the subtle things that get you. My daughter was on asthma meds all year, Aetna would only fill 30 days for $35 for 3 meds each. Kaiser will fill 90 days for $15. HUGE difference at the end of the year.

But, yes, I agree, health care costs are getting higher for family coverage for the average worker.

Kids cost a fortune for medical these days.

I have looked at other employers where my part of the monthly payment would be $600-$800 and consider it a pay cut

We also have flexcomp accounts to help a little.
Old 10-29-07, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk God

I'm on my own plan - BCBS - Federal Employee Retired

I'm on my own plan - Medicare Part A

I'm on my wife's plan - Health Choice - State of Oklahoma Employees

I'm going to need them all in a couple of months.
Old 10-29-07, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk God

If you have kids, you should pay a lot more. Plus under family coverages (at least from the companies I've worked for), it doesn't matter whether you have 1 kid or 10 kids, so people like me end up subsidizing the heavy breeders.

The high end family coverage for me would be $300. Standard is $200.

Last edited by Red Dog; 10-29-07 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-29-07, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk God

And non-skiers in Colorado are subsidizing skiers in states like Colorado.
Old 10-29-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
<i>Mod note: Please read <a href = "http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=448146">the forum rules</a>. There is no "fixing" of posts in the Politics forum. Thank you.</i>

Deleted. Sorry
Old 10-29-07, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

so people like me end up subsidizing the heavy breeders.
- yeah, your $75 is a HUGE subsidy - not even one Dr visit at full cost (which is about $120-$130)
Old 10-29-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by classicman2
I'm going to need them all in a couple of months.
Do any of those include mental health coverage? Just ask'in
Old 10-29-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by 4KRG
- yeah, your $75 is a HUGE subsidy - not even one Dr visit at full cost (which is about $120-$130)

Add all the single folks together and it is huge - particularly for the Brady Bunch families.
Old 10-29-07, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Add all the single folks together and it is huge - particularly for the Brady Bunch families.
I am not sure now many single people vs married people pay in, so you could be correct.

brady bunch families are not common anymore. Having 3 kids is a lot these days, most familes only having one

The trend is to start having kids in your late 30's and early 40's, there isn't enough time to have 5 kids anymore
Old 10-29-07, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Good question. If I were your spouse's employer I wouldn't care about you either.
But since you aren't my wife's employer, that means you care about me.

Old 10-29-07, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But since you aren't my wife's employer, that means you care about me.

Damnit!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.