Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Grundle poll! Is self defense a good thing or a bad thing?
A good thing.
77.08%
A bad thing.
22.92%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Epidemic of self defense breaks out in Pittsburgh.

Old 10-24-07, 06:48 PM
Political Exile

Epidemic of self defense breaks out in Pittsburgh.

I love this city!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07274/822002-55.stm

Home invader killed, one hurt in McKeesport

Monday, October 01, 2007

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

An 18-year-old North Side teen was shot and killed and another man was hospitalized after an apparent home invasion in McKeesport Saturday night.

The Allegheny Count medical examiner's office said Frederick Frazier-Fearbry died from a gunshot wound. An autopsy is scheduled for today.

Police said Mr. Frazier-Fearbry was killed and an unidentified accomplice was wounded and taken to Mercy Hospital after they apparently entered a home on Grover Street to rob the occupants.

Police said they were called shortly after 10 p.m. to the home in the 2900 block of Grover, where a resident resisted and shot the robbers. No other information was available.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07283/824165-53.stm

Suspected Homewood intruder shot, killed

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

By Jim McKinnon, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A Lincoln-Lemington man who has been on both ends of a pistol over the past 14 years was killed early yesterday during an apparent home invasion in Homewood.

Ronnell E. Pittman, 32, was hit in the chest in a shoot-out around 2:40 a.m. after he entered a residence in the 1500 block of North Murtland Avenue, Pittsburgh homicide detectives said.

Police said the trouble began around 2:30 a.m. when Mr. Pittman entered the Murtland Avenue home uninvited.

The occupants ordered him to leave, but he returned a short time later with a semiautomatic pistol and began shooting at Mr. Hill, Cmdr. Stangrecki said.

Mr. Pittman opened fire. Bullets sprayed her front porch. Mr. Hill pulled a pistol and returned fire, she said.

Mr. Pittman fled, but police found him in the 1000 block of Lincoln Avenue, a few blocks from the shooting scene, where he had collapsed.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07296/827627-53.stm

East Liberty home invader shot, killed

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

By Torsten Ove, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

An armed 18-year-old from Duquesne was shot and killed early yesterday morning when police said he and an accomplice tried to rob the occupants of an East Liberty apartment.

Shawn Davis died of a shotgun blast to the head inside of 300 N. Negley Ave.

His accomplice, Rashawn Gibson, 20, of Garfield, was taken into custody and charged with burglary and other offenses.

"It was definitely a home invasion," said city police Cmdr. Thomas Stangrecki, head of Major Crimes. "We're still sorting it out."

The man who fired the shotgun has not been identified, although he did not live at that address.

Officers from the East Liberty station were on patrol when they heard a gunshot and the sound of glass breaking on North Negley at 3:15 a.m.

Inside the apartment, they found Mr. Davis. The medical examiner's office pronounced him dead 10 minutes later.

Detectives said Mr. Davis and Mr. Gibson barged into the apartment, and that Mr. Davis pointed his gun at the occupants, ordering them to lie on the floor.

He and Mr. Gibson walked one victim to the rear of the apartment at gunpoint, then returned to the living room and approached the others who were hiding in the kitchen.

When Mr. Davis pointed a gun at one of them, police said, the man shot him in the head with a shotgun.

Mr. Gibson jumped through a window to get away, but police caught him. He was charged with burglary, robbery and criminal conspiracy.

Mr. Davis could not be identified for many hours after the killing, but the medical examiner's office eventually determined his identity from fingerprints.

Detectives were reviewing the case with the Allegheny County district attorney's office to determine if other charges should be filed.
Old 10-24-07, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Grundle, can I suggest that you make your polls public polls?
Old 10-24-07, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Good thing."
Old 10-24-07, 07:44 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by bwvanh114
This one is private and I'm not voting in it.
Old 10-24-07, 07:59 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by bwvanh114
Sure, you can suggest it. I never thought about that before. How do I do it?

Should I do a poll to see if people want my polls to be public or private? And if so, should I make that poll public or private?

I kind of think that private polls are better, but I'm willing to hear arguments on both sides. I want whichever kind gets people to answer more honestly.
Old 10-24-07, 08:01 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by VinVega
This one is private and I'm not voting in it.
Then it must be private by default. I've never made a poll public. I didn't even know that that was an option.

I guess there must be some kind of a checkbox, and I'll look for it the next time I do a poll.
Old 10-24-07, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who voted that it is a bad thing? How can it be bad?
Old 10-24-07, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You are missing a 3rd option...."Great thing"

-p
Old 10-24-07, 09:02 PM
Uber Member

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Who voted that it is a bad thing? How can it be bad?
Some people feel that the "gun culture" in the US exists in part based on the idea of self defense, and that this results stolen guns that are used to kill people, and a general overall proliferation of guns and that the more guns you have, the more chance that an innocent is going to be killed.

Others feel that it's never a good thing to kill another human being, and feel so strongly about it that they would rather be killed than kill another to save themselves. Two wrongs don't make a right.

And then, there are people who just like to be cute and pick the "wrong" answer in online polls to get a rise out of people.
Old 10-24-07, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Blade
Some people feel that the "gun culture" in the US exists in part based on the idea of self defense, and that this results stolen guns that are used to kill people, and a general overall proliferation of guns and that the more guns you have, the more chance that an innocent is going to be killed.

Others feel that it's never a good thing to kill another human being, and feel so strongly about it that they would rather be killed than kill another to save themselves. Two wrongs don't make a right.
I hope they aren't the ones that get attacked then. I want those who carry to get attacked so they can blow the shithead away.
Old 10-24-07, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is hard for me to feel bad for someone who is killed while breaking into a house to steal stuff.
Old 10-24-07, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
It is hard for me to feel bad for someone who is killed while breaking into a house to steal stuff.
True, but it's hard for me to feel happy about it either.
Old 10-25-07, 08:46 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

At least a couple of intruders that were permanently rehabilitated. Good shooting.
Old 10-25-07, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jason
True, but it's hard for me to feel happy about it either.
Why? A person successfully defended their property (or potentially their life) from someone who was determined to deprive them of it.
Old 10-25-07, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Reason #2,305,350.5 I want to live in a state that doesn't have idiotic gun laws that would charge/hinder a person's ability to defend themselves and their property. I wish this happened more, because maybe then people may think twice about breaking into someone's home.

As I've said before in here...I'd rather have a great defense attorney, instead of a great mortician. If some jackass is stupid enough to break into my house and try to steal my stuff, he deserve the clip of bullets I'd empty into him/her.

-p

Last edited by NotThatGuy; 10-25-07 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-25-07, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Someone who forces his way into other people's homes with the intention of stealing their possessions has no grounds for complaint about the quality of the welcome.
Old 10-25-07, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pedagogue
If some jackass is stupid enough to break into my house and try to steal my stuff, he deserve the clip of bullets I'd empty into him/her.

-p
As a taxpayer, I would gladly buy you a second box of ammo for quickly and effciently doing society a favor.

Old 10-25-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by 4KRG
As a taxpayer, I would gladly buy you a second box of ammo for quickly and effciently doing society a favor.

Seriously though.....they are f'ing criminals, my compassion for them stopped the minute the crossed the threshold into my home.

-p
Old 10-25-07, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Not wild about the loss of life, but better theirs than the homeowner.

And it is tough to bitch if you are shot while robbing a place. Especially if you are dead.
Old 10-25-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nemein
Why? A person successfully defended their property (or potentially their life) from someone who was determined to deprive them of it.
In an ideal world, nobody should be getting killed over a couple of hundred dollars worth of jewelry or home electronics or whatever. Now, if someone does have to get killed, I would much prefer it to be the burglar than the homeowner ... but a burglar getting killed is not, in my opinion, cause for celebration.
Old 10-25-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I always vote the opposite of whatever grundle wants me to vote, regardless of my personal beliefs.
Old 10-25-07, 12:18 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by JasonF
In an ideal world, nobody should be getting killed over a couple of hundred dollars worth of jewelry or home electronics or whatever. Now, if someone does have to get killed, I would much prefer it to be the burglar than the homeowner ... but a burglar getting killed is not, in my opinion, cause for celebration.

If the burlgar's only goal is to steal stuff, then why does the burglar carry a gun?

Even if the burglar isn't carrying a gun, how can the homeowner determine whether or not the burglar is planning to commit murder and/or rape while inside the house?
Old 10-25-07, 12:19 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Mordred
I always vote the opposite of whatever grundle wants me to vote, regardless of my personal beliefs.
Actually, that's exaclty how I wanted you to vote!
Old 10-25-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
I wouldn't celebrate, but I'd be thankful for my preparedness and sad that another human died, but I wouldn't be sorry for what I did.

-p
Old 10-25-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by grundle
If the burlgar's only goal is to steal stuff, then why does the burglar carry a gun?

Even if the burglar isn't carrying a gun, how can the homeowner determine whether or not the burglar is planning to commit murder and/or rape while inside the house?
A burglar may have a gun for a variety of reasons, including that he may wish to do physical harm to the homeowner. And the homeowner has no way to know whether a burglar is armed. I'm not saying a homeowner shouldn't be allowed to use deadly force if he reasonably believes he's in danger. I'm just saying that I don't find the death of anyone -- even a burglar -- a cause for celebration.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.