Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Free College Tuition For Illegals

Old 10-23-07, 04:50 PM

Free College Tuition For Illegals

I'm sorry but this is not right...my sister had to get a loan and have to pay for her college education. This is so out there...What in the world are these politicians thinking of? The article is below:

INVASION USA
Reid reviving 'amnesty' for illegals
'DREAM' grant of legality to millions on fast track for vote tomorrow

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., is reviving and fast-tracking plans to grant amnesty to millions of illegal aliens already within U.S. boundaries, and a vote is expected as early as tomorrow, according to opponents.

Just a few months after intense pressure from U.S. citizens triggered the rejection of President Bush's comprehensive immigration plan, a compromise supported by Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass. – the DREAM Act proposal by Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill. – is being rushed through the Senate.

Durbin's office refused to return a WND call requesting comment.

"In many ways this bill is worse than Bush-Kennedy because this is blatant deception on the part of the Senate to get a massive amnesty passed," asserted Steve Elliott, president of Grassfire.org.

Some of the provisions of the plan, called DREAM for Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors, include:

Conditional legal status for any illegal alien who claims to have arrived in the U.S. prior to age 16.

Any illegal alien can apply for the program.

Those who gain legal status then can sponsor any family members, allowing additional millions to access the program.

There would be a ban on deportation for anyone who applies.

Illegals would be granted taxpayer-funded in-state tuition rates for college.
Elliott's organization and others, including Numbers USA, have launched telephone, online and fax petitions for voters to contact their senators and let them know their opinions on the plan.

"This is not a drill. This is the real thing," Numbers USA warned in an alert to constituents. "Our Capitol Hill Team just contacted me and reported that Senate Majority Leader Reid has just filed for 'cloture' on S. 2205 (the DREAM ACT amnesty.)"

"Reid is hell-bent on getting this amnesty through the Senate as fast as possible and before we can fully mobilize the country as happened when we defeated his Comprehensive Amnesty bill in June," the group said. "He is using the Rule 14 … to avoid any committee debate, hearings or deliberations. Filing for cloture means that he can bring the amnesty up on Wednesday."

An estimated 12-20 million illegal aliens are already in the U.S., but Numbers USA warned the legislation would "entice millions more people to become illegal aliens here."

Further, the plan includes "no extra enforcement" to provide any stability or security to national borders, the group said.

In a commentary, Eagle Forum founder Phyllis Schlafly said it creates the circumstances where the violation of U.S. immigration law is rewarded.

"The illegal immigrant who applies for the DREAM Act can count his years under conditional green card status toward the five years needed to attain citizenship. That's a fast track to citizenship that is not available to aliens who are lawfully present in the United States," she said. "Giving in-state college tuition to illegal immigrants is so unpopular with many Americans that the only way a congressman could support this bill is by hoping it passes before the public discovers how bad it is. Arizona's Proposition 300, which specifically bars Arizona universities from giving in-state tuition rates to illegal immigrants, passed in 2006 with a majority of 71.4 percent."

As WND reported, Durbin brought up the DREAM Act after Bush's comprehensive plan died in June.
Old 10-23-07, 04:54 PM

Bolding the relevant portion just to be clear. This isn't a "full ride" scholarship or anything, it's:

And this program would be for somebody who entered the country before they were 16.
Old 10-23-07, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
Bolding the relevant portion just to be clear. This isn't a "full ride" scholarship or anything, it's:

And this program would be for somebody who entered the country before they were 16.
I suppose if you're not going to deport 10-12 million people, the next best thing would be to marginalize them totally, keeping them on the fringes of society and guaranteeing that they will be unemployed, underemployed, bitter, and angry.
Old 10-23-07, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Admittedly I don't come into Politics very often, but I'm not familiar with WND. What is it and is there a link to the article? Also, as Groucho pointed out, I don't read this as being free tuition for anybody.

Last edited by WallyOPD; 10-23-07 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-23-07, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I suppose if you're not going to deport 10-12 million people, the next best thing would be to marginalize them totally, keeping them on the fringes of society and guaranteeing that they will be unemployed, underemployed, bitter, and angry.
or make them pay the same amount for public college as any other out-of-state legal citizen would pay...

I agree, though, the title of this thread is incorrect.
Old 10-23-07, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by acrophim
I'm sorry but this is not right...my sister had to get a loan and have to pay for her college education.
As will these illegals.
Old 10-23-07, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shamnesty alert: Desperate Dems hang on to the DREAM Act
By Michelle Malkin
October 22, 2007 04:51 PM

Fresh off the S-CHIP debacle and their FISA retreat, the Dems look to the illegal alien tuition subsidy legislation known as the DREAM Act for redemption. Numbers USA keeps track of the latest. Looks like the DREAM Act nightmare could see action on the Senate floor as early as tomorrow:
By invoking Senate Rule XIV on S. 2205, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) has paved the way for prompt (and ill-advised) floor action on the measure, Assistant Majority Leader Dick Durbin’s (D-Ill.) new stand-alone DREAM Act amnesty bill. The procedural move, made late last week, means that the DREAM Act may be brought to the Senate floor as early as Tuesday (October 23) without ever having been considered in committee.

It is imperative that NumbersUSA members contact their senators to stop S. 2205 dead in its tracks.

S. 2205, which is cosponsored by long-tenured Republicans Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.) and Dick Lugar (R-Ind.), is, essentially, the same amnesty offered up for consideration by Durbin as an amendment (SA 2919) to H.R. 1585, the Defense Department (DoD) authorization bill for fiscal year 2008. The Senate passed that bill October 1 without ever taking up the DREAM Act amendment or amendments concerning increased worker importation. At that time, Leader Reid announced he would push for passage of the DREAM Act before the Senate is scheduled to adjourn for the year (i.e., on or about November 16).
The Dems have tinkered with the act, but it remains a bad idea–providing instant amnesty, serving as a future illegal alien magnet, and perpetuating inequity:
In this most recent iteration, the DREAM Act authorizes DHS to cancel removal for, or adjust to lawful permanent resident status (in other words, grant amnesty to), an alien who is inadmissible or deportable in cases where the alien demonstrated that he/she:

* has maintained continuous presence in the United States for five years and was not yet 16 years old upon initial entry, but is no older than 30 years of age;
* is of “good moral character” and is not inadmissible or deportable on certain criminal grounds or on the basis of being a risk to national security; and
* has been admitted to an institution of higher education, has attained a high school diploma, or has obtained a GED in the United States.

This ill-conceived proposal, which would grant amnesty to illegal aliens who satisfy these criteria as of enactment, also would be a rolling amnesty drawing more illegal aliens here in the future to apply for amnesty.

More recent versions of the nightmarish DREAM Act have made two notable changes from earlier attempts: (1) a provision repealing existing statutory provisions barring illegal aliens from being eligible for in-state tuition unless a U.S. citizen or legal resident is eligible regardless of state residence has been removed; and (2) the age limit for amnesty applicants has been added.

This latter revision would narrow, but would not close, a gaping loophole in this amnesty because any illegal alien up to age 30 can still walk into any U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office, declare that he is eligible, and be granted amnesty with minimal documentation of eligibility. That 30-year-old could claim that he illegally entered the United States when he was 15, but there is no requirement that the alien prove that he entered the United States at the claimed time by providing particular documents. The proposal would merely require him to “demonstrate” that he is eligible, which in practice could mean simply making a sworn statement to that effect. Thus, it would be an invitation for just about every illegal alien 30 and under to fraudulently claim the amnesty.

In addition, the alien then would have six years to adjust his status from a conditional green card holder to a non-conditional one. To do so, he would need only to complete two years of study at an institution of higher education, including any vocational school. If, at that point, the alien had already completed two years of study, he could adjust to non-conditional status immediately (and use his green card as a platform to sponsor parents and other family members).
As an alternative to two years of study, he could enlist in the U.S. military (or any other of the “uniformed services,” such as the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration or Public Health Service) for two years. (Note: This was the provision that allowed Durbin to claim that the DREAM Act was somehow germane to the DoD authorization bill.)

An illegal alien who applies for this nightmare of an amnesty would be allowed to count his years under “conditional” green card status toward the five years needed for citizenship. On top of that, the illegal alien could claim “retroactive benefits” and start the clock running the day that the DREAM Act is enacted. In combination, these two provisions would put illegal aliens on a high-speed track to U.S. citizenship, moving from illegal alien to U.S. citizen in as little as five years. Lawfully-present aliens, meanwhile, would have to continue to follow a slower path to citizenship.
Call your rep!

Capitol switchboard - 202-224-3121.
http://michellemalkin.com/2007/10/22...the-dream-act/
Old 10-23-07, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sorry but this is not right...
No, it's not right. And since it's coming from WorldNutDaily, it's not even true.
Old 10-23-07, 07:31 PM

The college tuition issue is just a smokescreen, this obviously intended as a back door amnesty.
Old 10-23-07, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jason
No, it's not right. And since it's coming from WorldNutDaily, it's not even true.
Which part? The Dream Act or the vote for tomorrow? or both? Just because it came from what you called "WorldNutDaily" doesn't make it untrue.
Old 10-23-07, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

F' em. The alternative is to let them suck us dry, and then demand MORE stuff from us, all because they broke into our country. Yeah, I want to reward that kind of behavior.

-p
Old 10-23-07, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by foggy
The college tuition issue is just a smokescreen, this obviously intended as a back door amnesty.
Yes. And these politicians won't give up on these amnesty schemes even though Americans voiced their opinion on the last amnesty bill and were against it.

Funny how these pro-amnesty pro-illegal immigrant politicians are always trying to pass these bills just under the radar and with as little fanfare as possible. Why don't they proudly announce these bills, put forth their best arguments in favor of them, and then let the American taxpayers chime in?
Old 10-23-07, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They get everything else free, might as well add college to it.
Old 10-23-07, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

How about we just give them the Presidency. I'm sure Bush would love them even more.
Old 10-23-07, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pedagogue
F' em. The alternative is to let them suck us dry, and then demand MORE stuff from us, all because they broke into our country. Yeah, I want to reward that kind of behavior.

-p
Not treating them with contempt is as much about protecting the country as it is about them.

They're here whether you like it or not, and I'd rather not create a permanently pissed-off underclass. That's working so well for Europe, after all.
Old 10-23-07, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by cdollaz
They get everything else free, might as well add college to it.
Well the message is loud and clear. America is a country of laws. If you break the law coming here we will reward you with free health care, drivers licenses, home loans, and now we'll make it even easier for you to go to college than the average American who's been paying taxes. That should teach 'em.

Reminds me of this poem...
Old 10-23-07, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not treating them with contempt is as much about protecting the country as it is about them.

They're here whether you like it or not, and I'd rather not create a permanently pissed-off underclass. That's working so well for Europe, after all.
Don't really understand the first statement... could you clarify?

I agree with this policy... the assumption that this is "bleeding the country dry" and that only illegal immigrants are doing it is faulty, for two reasons:

1. It immediately assumes that every legal American resident who is attending college is from a taxpaying bracket that actually contributes to the funds that subsidize public schools.

2. That same population does not receive financial aid or other financial assistance from the government which does not need to be paid back.
Old 10-24-07, 01:09 AM

Which part? The Dream Act or the vote for tomorrow? or both? Just because it came from what you called "WorldNutDaily" doesn't make it untrue.
WorldNutDaily is called that because they have a tendancy to post ridiculous crap without any facts to back it up.... like this for example:
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=37010

I mean really, how can anybody take stuff like that seriously??
Old 10-24-07, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by General Zod
and now we'll make it even easier for you to go to college than the average American who's been paying taxes.
How would this law do that?
Old 10-24-07, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't this been going on for some time now? At least here in California I've always heard about how Illegals can get breaks on Tuition that American Citizens from other States can't even get.
Old 10-24-07, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Duran
How would this law do that?
Ever tried garnishing the wages of an illegal immigrant who doesn't pay for their student loans? I hear it's rather difficult. But I could be wrong.
Old 10-24-07, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, the entire premise is untrue. The revised DREAM Act of 2007 does not give "free college tuition to illegals" -- it allows kids who have grown up in this country, and who have attained the status of "lawful permanent resident", to apply for student loans and federal work-study programs. Furthermore, saying "there would be a ban on deportation for anyone who applies" is just bunk -- the law specifically protects children enrolled in a primary or secondary school from deportation, but it doesn't give blanket amnesty to anyone who applies.

Here's the text of the bill... as always, anyone is welcome to agree or disagree with the substance of the act, but you should be arguing the facts, not rank hyperbole.
Old 10-24-07, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Superboy
Don't really understand the first statement... could you clarify?
Simply that treating illegal immigrants as criminals is detrimental to the country.
Old 10-24-07, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by NCMojo
Here's the text of the bill... as always, anyone is welcome to agree or disagree with the substance of the act, but you should be arguing the facts, not rank hyperbole.

But what would our super conservative members do if they didn't resort to rank hyperbole?
Old 10-24-07, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
or make them pay the same amount for public college as any other out-of-state legal citizen would pay...
If the person's been living in the state long enough to meet the residency requirement to qualify for in-state tuition, why shouldn't they get the same break as every other resident of the state?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.