Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Obama doesn't place hand over his heart during the National Anthem

Old 10-21-07, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Obama doesn't place hand over his heart during the National Anthem

http://www.time.com/time/photogaller...446035,00.html

I'd expect a Presidential candidate to know the proper protocol

edit:
video
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/ver/247...php?cl=4635297

the singer sucks

Last edited by mikehunt; 10-22-07 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-21-07, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

First it is not wearing the flag pin and now this. Hope Hilary gets the nomination instead of him.
Old 10-21-07, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Keep f'n yerself, bud.
Old 10-21-07, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have never been a big suppoter of his. However, I can't beleive this (including the flag pin) and haircuts are the stuff we care about when picking a leader. Sad really.
Old 10-21-07, 01:20 AM

Well, come on, shadowhawk. Slobs and hobos will put their hands over their hearts out of respect for the country. I would prefer to have someone who truly loves this country to lead it...not someone who can't respect his own motherland.
Old 10-21-07, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
Well, come on, shadowhawk. Slobs and hobos will put their hands over their hearts out of respect for the country. I would prefer to have someone who truly loves this country to lead it...not someone who can't respect his own motherland.

Right, because putting one's hand over his/her heart means they love this country. You know his name is Obama he must be one of "them"

This is much more important than fixing the problems of the country.
Old 10-21-07, 01:29 AM

Well, someone who doesn't love the country won't really give a shit about fixing it.

If it needs 'fixing' at all...
Old 10-21-07, 01:32 AM

I can't believe something this petty was "new topic" worthy, but whatever. Not that it's a big deal, but you can't tell what's happening from that photo. Had the anthem already started, or was it about to start? Had it just ended?

The conclusion that he "doesn't love his country" is laughable. But hey, this is the DVDTalk political forum. I don't come here for intelligent discourse.
Old 10-21-07, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, someone who doesn't love the country won't really give a shit about fixing it.

Again, that is assuming putting your hand over your heart = love for your country. Would someone with no arms automatically hate the country?

Your right though he probably hates the country and wishes to destroy it from the inside.
Old 10-21-07, 01:36 AM

Who gives a shit about what Obama's doing, when none of those stupid liberals even know that they're supposed to be facing toward the gigantic flag behind them!

Old 10-21-07, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I said fixing the problems of this country. Are you saying there is nothing better to worry about in this country than a pin a haircut and putting a hand over a heart for a photo op?
Old 10-21-07, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MWB
Who gives a shit about what Obama's doing, when none of those stupid liberals even know that they're supposed to be facing toward the gigantic flag behind them!

For that matter the Republicans and the rest of the country didn't even show up. Those American hating bastards.
Old 10-21-07, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020
Your right though he probably hates the country and wishes to destroy it from the inside.
THANK YOU!!!

This is likely more right than you believe.
Old 10-21-07, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Indeed. Bush loves his country. So much so, he's willing to sacrifice almost 4,000 US Troops so far.
Old 10-21-07, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It looks like he's grabbing his crotch: "Here's yer fuckin' salute, buddy!"

I like this guy better and better each day.
Old 10-21-07, 04:12 AM

I don't really care whether or not he places his hand over his heart during the National Anthem. And I don't think wearing a pin has anything to do with patriotism.

But I am curious why he doesn't do it. Putting your hand over your heart is so ingrained in every American that it's become an almost hollow, yet automatic gesture. To not do it would require a conscious decision. I wonder when he made that decision and why.
Old 10-21-07, 06:52 AM

This just in - John Edwards doesn't always say "Bless you" when someone near him sneezes.

The horror!
Old 10-21-07, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Some people won't really care about this... but most will. That is what makes it a story.

I think the average American expects a presidential candidate to follow proper protocol when the anthem is playing.
Old 10-21-07, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk God

General Petraeus doesn't place his hand over his heart when the National Anthem is played.
Old 10-21-07, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

THANK YOU!!!

This is likely more right than you believe.

This quote tells me I can skip your posts when it comes to Obama in politics. So thank you
Old 10-21-07, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by classicman2
General Petraeus doesn't place his hand over his heart when the National Anthem is played.
Being in the military, and I am sure you will clarify this for us, is it not proper protocol for military and law enforcement to salute during the duration of the National Anthem?
Old 10-21-07, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by classicman2
That's because proper protocol requires that members of the armed forces salute the flag during the National Anthem.

Protocol

When the song is performed in public, it is customary for American citizens to stand and face the American flag, if one is displayed, in an attitude of respectful attention. If no flag is on display, it is customary to stand and face the source of the music in the same respectful attitude of attention as if the flag were on display. People are also encouraged to remove their hats during the performance. Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, military personnel, fire service, and law enforcement officers in uniform normally salute during the national anthem from the first note and hold the salute until the last note is played. Civilians who are citizens of the United States should salute by placing their right hand over their heart.
Maybe Obama is signalling that he doesn't consider himself to be a citizen of the United States.

Last edited by crazyronin; 10-21-07 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-21-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Off topic a bit but I thought I'd bring it up here for my fellow veterans..

Veterans can now salute the flag out of uniform when the flag is being hoisted, lowered, or passed. Previously veterans were only supposed to put their right hand over their heart like everyone else. Bill was passed on July 27th.
Old 10-21-07, 10:08 AM

Zod, you have a link for the bill?
Old 10-21-07, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The "motherland"? Seriously?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.