Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

President Bush's and racial predisposition

Old 10-18-07, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

President Bush's and racial predisposition

Today, when asked about the prospects of democracy in Russia, President Bush said "In terms of whether or not it's possible to reprogram the kind of basic Russian DNA, which is a centralized authority, that's hard to do."

Of course, five years ago, when we were preparing to invade Iraq and impose democracy, one complaint from critics was that it would be impossible to impose from without a functioning democracy in a nation with no democratic tradition. These criticisms were promptly reintepreted by war supporters as an argument that Arabs were inherently incapable of democracy, and discounted as racist.

So apparenltly, basic Arab DNA is pro-democracy and basic Russian DNA is not. Good to know.

And yes, I recognize the President was almost certainly speaking in metaphorical terms when he talked about DNA. But it doesn't change the fact that the argument he is making now with respect to Russia is the same one he rejected five years ago with respect to Iraq.
Old 10-18-07, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Excellent post, and I was going to make the same point with that quote. So we can't hope for democracy in Russia because of their cultural inclination towards an authoritarian form of government, yet we're going to bring "freedom to ordinary moms and dads" in Iraq. And it's not just that those two approaches are inconsistent, I think they're backwards---I would argue that there's a greater prospect for a liberal democracy emerging from Russia than Iraq (not that I'd bet the farm on either one).
Old 10-18-07, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

So.. You are saying before he is wrong and now he is right?
Old 10-18-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe his assessment of Russia is probably much closer to reality than was his assessment of Iraq.
Old 10-18-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod
So.. You are saying before he is wrong and now he is right?
No. We're saying he was insincere then, and he is insincere now.
Old 10-18-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

My bets would be on Russia. Or just do anything the opposite of what Bush says.
Old 10-18-07, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NCMojo
No. We're saying he was insincere then, and he is insincere now.
That's not what I'm saying. I think Bush sincerely thought he could use military force to establish something resembling a liberal democracy in Iraq, and I think part of it is the subtle racism that pervades the West (on both the right and the left). Muslims are looked upon as slightly ignorant and simple, and it's the White Man's Burden to show them the light of liberal, secular democracy, which of course they will totally embrace if only given the chance, since they could never really freely CHOOSE to believe in their traditional Islamic values. That's why Bush invaded Iraq, and that's why Europe has opened her doors to millions of Muslim immigrants. And both those enterprises are doomed to failure, because the west doesn't really understand or respect the power of Islam. Since Russians are white and Christian, the West is usualy able to look at them with a bit more objectivity.

I don't think Bush is evil or duplicitous, or has nefarious motives---I just don't think he's very bright.
Old 10-18-07, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
Today, when asked about the prospects of democracy in Russia, President Bush said "In terms of whether or not it's possible to reprogram the kind of basic Russian DNA, which is a centralized authority, that's hard to do."
Russian DNA reprograms YOU!!!!

-p