Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

White House Blasts Former President Carter as 'Increasingly Irrelevant'

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Is the Current Bush Administration the Worst Ever?
Yes
34.29%
Probably
25.71%
No
40.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-07, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk God

CRAWFORD, Texas —

In a biting rebuke, the White House on Sunday dismissed former President Jimmy Carter as "increasingly irrelevant" after his harsh criticism of President Bush.

Carter was quoted Saturday as saying "I think as far as the adverse impact on the nation around the world, this administration has been the worst in history."

The Georgia Democrat said Bush had overseen an "overt reversal of America's basic values" as expressed by previous administrations, including that of his own farther, former President George H.W. Bush.

"I think it's sad that President Carter's reckless personal criticism is out there," White House spokesman Tony Fratto responded Sunday from Crawford, where Bush spent the weekend.

"I think it's unfortunate," Fratto said. "And I think he is proving to be increasingly irrelevant with these kinds of comments."

Carter made the comments to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette in a story that appeared in the newspaper's Saturday editions.

Carter spokeswoman Deanna Congileo confirmed his comments to The Associated Press on Saturday and declined to elaborate.

1. What do you think about Carter's 'charge?'

2. Do you believe the White House response is a little over the top?

Last edited by classicman2; 05-21-07 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-21-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't believe ANY former President is "irrelevant." I wonder if this spokesman chose those words himself?
Old 05-21-07, 09:16 AM
Admin-Thanos

Are they the worst ever? No. On foreign policy, they're damn close though.
Old 05-21-07, 09:17 AM

President Carter is old and cranky. President Bush is not so old and is too thin skinned. I'm a little ashamed when my first reaction to the behavior of a past president and our current president is that they both need to grow up.
Old 05-21-07, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Worst ever? No. One of the worst? Yes.
Old 05-21-07, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega
Are they the worst ever? No. On foreign policy, they're damn close though.
Whose administration would you say is worse than GWB's?
Originally Posted by classicman2
1. What do you think about Carter's 'charge?'

2. Do you believe the White House response is a little over the top?
1. Seems to be fairly well established at this point. Virtually every significant historian agrees, along with most political pundits and approximately 68% of the general public.

2. No, their response is pretty much par for the course. They have a pattern of smearing anyone who speaks out against them in the crudest fashion possible.
Old 05-21-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Carter has back-tracked a couple of times from the interview he gave to the Arkansas Democratic Gazette on Saturday.

He said he meant to say - 'worst foreign policy administration.' He compared it to the Nixon Administration. Realizing that Nixon is credited for having a very good foreign policy, he back-tracked a little more.
Old 05-21-07, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not even close.
Old 05-21-07, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Quickly - name me a president who has had a worse foreign policy than George W. Bush.

Seriously - I can't think of one - at least not in my lifetime.
Old 05-21-07, 09:45 AM

I don't remember either JFK or LBJ having very stellar foreign policies.
Old 05-21-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I don't remember either JFK or LBJ having very stellar foreign policies.
Yeah, that whole Cuban Missile Crisis thing. JFK only avoided a nuclear war and got the missiles out of Cuba.

Unlike Bush, JFK ignored his advisors call for war.

You could argue that Vietnam was a complete disaster, and you'd be right, but at least it was consistent with the Cold War and the attempt to contain Communism (misguided though it was).

Attacking Iraq instead of going after the real terrorists is just asinine. Thinking the "war would pay for itself" to quote Wolfowitz is just one example of the neocons' monumental stupidity.

Last edited by Lord Rick; 05-21-07 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-21-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Funny that Bush would make that comment about Carter when Bush is the one who is increasingly irrelevant, with Republican members of Congress separating themselves from him, Specter's comments about the Gonzales no-confidence vote, etc.
Old 05-21-07, 09:55 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by NCMojo
I guess I was trying to be kind. Come to think of it, I can't think of an administration who had a worse foreign policy.
Old 05-21-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk God

I don't wish to rehash the Vietnam War, but I'll argue that it was not a complete disaster, because I do believe it had a 'positive' influence on the Cold War.
Old 05-21-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, that's terrific blass!
Old 05-21-07, 09:58 AM
Admin-Thanos

I fixed your title typo c-man. Blass=Blasts.
Old 05-21-07, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk God

I tried to fix it - it wouldn't fix.
Old 05-21-07, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My history teacher in high school said it takes atleast 20 years to judge a presidency.

For example, cman's assessment of the Vietnam War's effect on the Cold War is more accurately measured after the Cold War was ended. Maybe the same can be said of the WoT

I'd hesitate to judge Bush's foreign policy until atleast his term is over but I'd rather wait out a while and see how it actually effects the world.
Old 05-21-07, 10:13 AM
Banned

The poll might be better worded if you tacked "in terms of foreign policy." onto the end of it. That way Carter's rant would be relevant to the poll, if indeed you're trying to see if many people agree with Carter.

As for my opinion... I would agree that it takes a decade or so for the full implications of current events to make themselves known. However, I think Bush would need to pull off a first-rate miracle before his term ends if he wants to climb into the lofty realms of near-adequacy. However, he'd be lucky just to avoid another major disaster.
Old 05-21-07, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk God

I wasn't aware that Carter had 'changed' his position until after I posted the original thread & poll.
Old 05-21-07, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You know, I'm just as mystified by the people who give Bush credit for his domestic agenda. Unless you're one of the few who believe that the Patriot Act and the abandonment of congressional oversight and the expansion of the federal bureacracy were all good things... the only item Bush can hang his hat on are the tax cuts which (in theory) triggered our currest rocketship economy. I just don't see any significant domestic accomplishments.
Old 05-21-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk God

I've said it before - the only thing Bush will be able to hang his hat on (can call a success) are his judicial appointments.
Old 05-21-07, 11:01 AM
Admin-Thanos

You know, I'm just as mystified by the people who give Bush credit for his domestic agenda.
I don't give him a pass on his domestic agenda. I'm just personally more interested in foreign policy than domestic agenda. I probably should have majored in international relations rather than history in college.
Old 05-21-07, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk God

I did not realize that Carter could become more irrelevant.
Old 05-21-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jimmy Carter's. He appeared to be a nice guy who wasn't the right person to be president.

As the years passed after his presidency, he either went off the rails, or his true nature came through.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.