Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Police crack down on girl who wore socks with Tigger cartoon character to school.

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Police crack down on girl who wore socks with Tigger cartoon character to school.

Old 05-18-07, 08:43 PM
Political Exile

I think using the police to enforce a dress code against a little girl wearing socks with a cartoon character is a bad idea.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...619549,00.html

May. 10, 2007

By REYNOLDS HOLDING

NAPA CALIF.

The first morning of the 2005 school year held more than the typical jitters for Toni Kay Scott. One moment, the seventh-grader, known as T.K., was stepping from her mom's Ford pickup to join friends in front of Redwood Middle School in Napa, Calif. Minutes later, the police officer assigned to watch arriving students was steering her toward the principal's office.

Scott, an impish brunet with a tiny nostril stud, had violated Redwood's dress code. The code aimed to squelch gangs by requiring students to wear only certain clothes and solid colors. Scott could change her outfit and stay at school, or she could spend the day at home. "I said, 'There's nothing wrong with what I'm wearing. I'm going home,'" recalls Scott, a near straight-A student. "I thought it was kind of ridiculous."

Her parents thought the dress code more than just ridiculous: they considered it unconstitutional. In March they and a dozen other Redwood parents and students sued the school and the Napa Valley Unified School District in state court. They claim the students have a fundamental right to express themselves through their attire--to speak, in effect, through the kind of clothes that Scott insisted on wearing that first day of school: a denim skirt and socks depicting Tigger, a character from Winnie-the-Pooh.
Old 05-18-07, 08:47 PM

Um...

I love government.
Government is my <i>friend</i>.
Old 05-18-07, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

napa valley? sounds like the school officials have been drinking too much of the local beverages
Old 05-18-07, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grundle
I think using the police to enforce a dress code against a little girl wearing socks with a cartoon character is a bad idea.

Ah, grundle. I missed your malapropisms.
Old 05-18-07, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk God

That's some fine work, boys.

Zero tolerance = zero sanity.
Old 05-18-07, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't the bigger problem a 7th grader who still wears Tigger socks?
Old 05-18-07, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog

Zero tolerance = zero sanity.
No. Zero tolerance requires zero thought. Thats why government school administrators like it.
Old 05-18-07, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All of this is missing the bigger point. This isn't really about dress codes, zero tolerance, or nitpicking administration. (And it certainly isn't about any police crackdown.) This is another case study on the limits of student free speech. It's an interesting point -- do school uniforms unfairly infringe upon a student's First Ammendment rights?
Old 05-18-07, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Where's the poll?
Old 05-18-07, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The police officer was already assigned to the school. Seems like all he did was take her to the principal's office.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that will have any traumatizing effects on the child. Of course, there are better uses for police officers.

My hs started requiring uniforms the year after I graduated so I missed out on that fun and it was actually the last hs in the county to require unfiroms.

Since all the school shootings in the 90s and drug war buildup, I think schools have really went security crazy. These days, I really don't think there's much difference between a school and a prison.

I understand the arguments for and against school uniforms but I just wish principals/teachers/parents would worry less about clothes and more about teaching the students.
Old 05-18-07, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
so the socks are bad but not the nose piercing?
Old 05-18-07, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My dad is actually on the school board for NVUSD. I'll have to ask him about this. They do have a pretty unruly problem with gangs in the area and surrounding counties, I'll give them that. I think that enforcing a uniform is probably a better way to go.
Old 05-19-07, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Ask him for pics and post them here.
Where's that Chris Hansen picture when you need it.
Old 05-19-07, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by NCMojo
All of this is missing the bigger point. This isn't really about dress codes, zero tolerance, or nitpicking administration. (And it certainly isn't about any police crackdown.) This is another case study on the limits of student free speech. It's an interesting point -- do school uniforms unfairly infringe upon a student's First Ammendment rights?
It seems the courts have ruled a number of times that the constitutional right doesn't always apply to school kids in school. There is a public school in Seattle that requires uniforms. They do quite well. Less problems to worry about, and fewer kids worried about things like clothes.

It certainly seems extreme, but it sounds like a pretty simple rule, and the student was given a choice to change or go home.

I also feel very sorry for any school that deals with a lot of gang stuff. No logos, solid colors, etc. seems like a sensible way to keep kids concentrating on school.
Old 05-19-07, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Shoot first. Ask questions later.
Old 05-19-07, 09:41 AM
Political Exile

Ah, grundle. I missed your malapropisms.
What I said is accurate.
Old 05-19-07, 09:42 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Red Dog

I get your chiff Wiggum quote!
Old 05-19-07, 09:43 AM
Political Exile

In a public school, yes, because the law requires school attendence.

In a private school, which is voluntary, no.

But either way, it's always wrong to use the police to enforce a dress code.
Old 05-19-07, 09:44 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by JasonF
Where's the poll?

We can do polls here? I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know!
Old 05-19-07, 09:45 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Ranger
The police officer was already assigned to the school.

These days, I really don't think there's much difference between a school and a prison.

Exactly.
Old 05-19-07, 09:47 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Pics?
The actual magazine shows her wearing the socks, but the website doesn't have that picture.
Old 05-19-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think a dress code or a uniform violates free speech. i think it is a good idea.
Old 05-19-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Venusian
I don't think a dress code or a uniform violates free speech. i think it is a good idea.
TIGGER PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-07, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They claim the students have a fundamental right to express themselves through their attire...
Bzzzzt. I haven't been keeping up with court rulings on this one, but this statement shouldn't be true, not on school grounds.

Oddly enough, most of these zero-tolerance-run-amok stories make me cringe, but this one does not at all. Let's recap:

1. The school has a dress code
2. The girl was not in compliance with it
3. She was given the choice of changing her clothes to be in compliance with it or to go home for the day

I'm not sure I see a problem here. The only reason this is even "news worthy" is because it was Tigger.

And what is wrong with having the police officer who is stationed there to watch students as they enter the school notice the problem and steer the young lady towards school administration? Would it have been better if the officer had ignored it and let teachers deal with it later when "later" almost certainly would have necessitated a class interruption?

Last edited by jfoobar; 05-19-07 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-19-07, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.