DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   Republicans: Who Do You Want For President, And Why? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/500920-republicans-who-do-you-want-president-why.html)

NotThatGuy 05-17-07 08:11 PM

Republicans: Who Do You Want For President, And Why?

I watched the republican debate awhile back, and I still feel undecided (I know...still very early). I figured I'd ask ya'll who looks good and why.

-p

ps. I'm reading Obama's book right now...interesting read, but I'm not voting for him.

mikehunt 05-17-07 08:27 PM

Fred Thompson
most of the ones that have announced so far are rinos

VinVega 05-17-07 09:55 PM

On the plus side personally, most of the current crop of Republicans seem better than GWB.

wildcatlh 05-17-07 10:11 PM

I was a Republican til 2004, I can still answer here.

Only one in the field I like is Ron Paul, and he has no chance.

I'm terrified of a Giuliani presidency. Really. I'd rather have another 4 years of GWB.

Spicollidriver1 05-17-07 10:29 PM

I too would love to see Thompson run, he is a better candidate then the rest of them right now, and he's the only one who is conservative enough to win the primary, and star power enough to win the general.

Frouhaha 05-17-07 10:46 PM

Hard to choose. Giuliani and Romney seem like shallow opportunists to me. And what the hell kind of name is Mitt anyway??? He is definitely out. Ron Paul? Forget it. Also, despite McCain's status as veteran and POW, he came accross like a bit of a milquetoast in the debate the other night.

Thompson has a folksey, genteel vibe that I dig but I really don't know enough about him to say if I would support him or not.

NotThatGuy 05-17-07 10:54 PM

McCain did very well in the debate...same with Rudy. I LOVE part of what Rudy stands for, and some parts scare the crap out of me.

-p

Frouhaha 05-17-07 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by pedagogue
McCain did very well in the debate...same with Rudy. I LOVE part of what Rudy stands for, and some parts scare the crap out of me.

-p

I'm not really sure what Rudy stands for other than Rudy.

Nutter 05-17-07 11:44 PM

http://www.crooksandliars.com/Media/...uantanamo.wmv/

McCain is the only guy in the bunch who isn't pro-torture apparently. It really is sad how the other two refuse to call it torture and instead refer to it as "enhanced interrogation". Wouldn't it be nice if the next american president spoke actual English instead of inventing more newspeak?

movielib 05-17-07 11:46 PM

I'm not a Republican. The only candidate I like at all in either major party is Ron Paul. He could possibly get me to vote for the first time since 1980. Maybe.

Tsar Chasm 05-17-07 11:54 PM

Not a member of the Grand old Party but...

Ron Paul is the Kucinich of the GOP.
Leaders:
Romney: Flipflopper extrordinaire
Giuliani: Besides Sept. 11th, this guy would barely qualify to wash windows at the white house.
McCain: Much much too old. He is turning into my grandfather quickly.

I truly hope it is Fred Thompson, if by some miracle the Dems don't win, Fred won't embarrass the United States.

X 05-18-07 12:00 AM

You might want to consider renaming this thread to:

Non-Republicans and Foreigners: Who Do You Want For President, And Why?

Red Dog 05-18-07 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Frouhaha
I'm not really sure what Rudy stands for other than Rudy.

He quite obviously stands for Nine Eleven.

Artman 05-18-07 12:08 AM

I'd vote for Mit. I'd rather not think about it for another yr though..

das Monkey 05-18-07 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
He quite obviously stands for Nine Eleven.

And America. I believe he checked "Strongly Agree" for that box.

das

Ranger 05-18-07 12:17 AM

Still a registered Republican.

I know I don't want McCain or Rudy to win. Ron Paul - so-so.

I don't know enough about the other candidates to want them to win.

chrisih8u 05-18-07 12:28 AM

I like Mitt Romney. He's a clean cut guy so I imagine he will be more scandal-free than Bush and Clinton were. Plus he's smart, he'll reduce spending, and he's against illegal immigration.

JasonF 05-18-07 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by mikehunt
Fred Thompson
most of the ones that have announced so far are rinos

What difference do you see between Sen. Thompson and Sen. McCain?

Numanoid 05-18-07 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tsar Chasm
Romney: Flipflopper extrordinaire

Seriously. Did anyone else see the 60 minutes interview with him this week? I knew nothing about this guy beforehand, but as Mike Wallace listed position after position that he's changed to be much more of a standard "religious right"-type conservative Republican...in other words, electable...I was flabbergasted. This guy's the poster child for flipfloppery and political opportunism. I'd love to see him pull out in front and watch the Repubs defend his "willingness to change". :lol:

kvrdave 05-18-07 01:37 AM

Couldn't vote for any right now. I would also like to see Fred Thompson run.

I would only vote for Romney if he did a guest spot on Big Love and come out in favor of polygamy.

kvrdave 05-18-07 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I'd love to see him pull out in front and watch the Repubs defend his "willingness to change". :lol:

It seems only appropriate that the Democrats defend him as vigorously as they tried to defend Kerry. -wink-

jfoobar 05-18-07 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by JasonF
What difference do you see between Sen. Thompson and Sen. McCain?

One can say "Russians don't take a dump without a plan" with a straight face and the other one cannot.

Nutter 05-18-07 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by X
You might want to consider renaming this thread to:

Non-Republicans and Foreigners: Who Do You Want For President, And Why?

Well, last time the Rep's chose Bush, so we figured they could use some help this time. :nopanic:

wendersfan 05-18-07 06:58 AM

Ron Paul