Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Planned Parenthood Threatens Lawsuit Against Pro-Life UCLA Student

Old 05-16-07, 10:40 PM
Political Exile

I'm pro-choice, and I think this lawsuit is ridiculous.

http://www.christianpost.com/article...LA_Student.htm

By Doug Huntington

Christian Post Reporter

Wed, May. 16 2007

Planned Parenthood, the leading provider of surgical abortions, has threatened to file a lawsuit against an 18-year-old student journalist at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).

Lilia Rose, who is the student editor and founder of the student pro-life magazine The Advocate, was contacted by the pro-choice organization after she recorded herself going into a clinic in Santa Monica, Calif., posing as a 15-year-old pregnant girl. She went in for an “abortion” with a man named James O’Keefe, who acted as her 23-year-old boyfriend, which would be considered statutory rape.

The tapes reveal that she was advised by employees to invent a birthday, so she did not appear to be 15, making her situation legal. A letter from Planned Parenthood expressed to her that she had no right to tape the incident, and that she did so without their consent.

“[You must] immediately relinquish to PPLA (Planned Parenthood Los Angeles) the original and any copies of all communications with PPLA employees you have recorded without their consent,” reported the letter which was signed by Mary Jane Wagle, CEO of PPLA.

According to PPLA, the lawsuit could cost Rose $5,000 or three times actual damages.

In the recorded conversation, the UCLA student found that PPLA encouraged her not to report her actual age to protect her “boyfriend.” Rose had done the undercover work to expose this practice.

“If you’re 15, we have to report it. If you’re not, if you’re older than that, then we don’t need to,” explained the employee in the recording. “You could say 16…well, just figure out a birth date that works. And I don’t know anything.”

Rather than threatening a lawsuit, Rose instead noted that the organization should make changes to their policies. According to Rose, Planned Parenthood has had numerous incidences in the past

One such example occurred when Life Dynamics, a Texas-based non-profit organization, hired an actress to make approximately 800 phone calls to abortion facilities across several states, acting as a 13-year-old girl. (Watch the video) She described herself as a victim of sexual assault, but 91 percent of the locations that admitted the action was a crime agreed to conceal it.

“This lawsuit threat is an example of Planned Parenthood using intimidation against those willing to expose its crimes,” explained Rose in an email to The Christian Post. “Planned Parenthood is a $900 million operation. Instead of threatening me with a lawsuit, Planned Parenthood should call a press conference condemning its staffers and promising major reform to protect young girls. Instead, they are threatening a college student.”

Rose has expressed her concern over the girls involved with Planned Parenthood and has also talked about the problems with organization since it is federally funded.

“Imagine a major corporation had been exposed for committing crimes in order to pad its bottom line. There would be a parade of congressmen demanding hearings and reform,” added the UCLA student. “Young girls are at risk and Planned Parenthood is receiving federal tax money. The federal government should investigate this and Planned Parenthood, like any other corporation, should be held accountable.”

Rose, who is currently majoring in political science, founded The Advocate in January.
Old 05-16-07, 10:57 PM

I hope Giuliani approves of how they're spending his money.
Old 05-16-07, 11:14 PM

The federal government should investigate this and Planned Parenthood, like any other corporation, should be held accountable.
W/ a Dem controlled congress, good luck w/ that one.
Old 05-16-07, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Like a Christian organization hasn't flexed their muscle.

Maybe The Vatican can get involved. Oh wait. They're too busy settling child molestations, rapes, and sodomy cases behind closed doors.

Talk about lying and deceipt. I mean really, Jerry's death is already an ironic masterpiece but yet we seem to have another one lined up.

God must have a great sense of humor.
Old 05-16-07, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just wait unti someone posts...ooops. Nevermind.
Old 05-16-07, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

How about you set up your psychic shop on one side of the street, and me on the other. Then, we can refer our clientele to each other and make double the amount of $$$$.

But anyway, I'm not sure what's wrong with this legally. In fact, it could be argued the situation was a total setup to encourage the clinic to go to the extreme exception.
Old 05-16-07, 11:33 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Talk about lying and deceipt.
Posing as someone you're not is what is often used to catch sexual predators. The FBI and police do it all the time. It is also done by investigative reporters all the time. Or do you just not like it when the people you don't agree with do this sort of thing to expose behavior?
Old 05-16-07, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Abortion clinics are not havens for child molesters--I thought your local church was. But hey, if that's a new pro-lifer marketing strategy for their twisted propaganda, I'm game.
Old 05-16-07, 11:41 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Abortion clinics are not havens for child molesters--I thought your local church was. .
Of course they are. They will cover up cases of incestuous rape by not reporting it to the authorities. They've done it in the past.
But hey, if that's a new pro-lifer marketing strategy for their twisted propaganda, I'm game
Don't you think a business or clinic should follow the law?
Old 05-16-07, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You have a 15-yr old girl who is pregnant by a 23-yr old. Does it serve the community if the guy is locked up for several years and the 15-yr old is forced to take care of the baby on her own? Her parents could very likely disown her due to their belief system. He's coming to an abortion clinic with this girl, which demonstrates he is helping her and is standing by her.

Why not have a 15-yr old boy take a recording device to a local Catholic church and record the excited priest and his interests.

The Church has a lot more power to cover their own sexual dysfunctionality. They have committed crimes. Those crimes have been averted their punishment with hundreds of millions of dollars.

Abortion clinics don't have that much power and this article seems to correlate them with power they don't have. Anyone with a two-bit attorney could draft a letter like that and send it to the alleged violators.

It's against the law for the church to knowingly enable illegal immigrants, but look at that twist of morality. Should we let these illegals stay here and use up legal citizen resources even though many churches are now in favor of violating federal and state laws?

Seems like if you compare the two, abortion clinics are at the lower end of the societal problem. It's the church who seems to further the societal ills. This has always baffled me--me, coming from a father who was a minister.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 05-16-07 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-17-07, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Does the Church support the pro-life movement? What about the website where that article was published from.

From what it appears, I would say yes, a law was violated. But what I am saying, is we have the church pointing fingers at abortion clinics when they themselves are breaking laws which could be argued are more dire.

Ask Cardinal Roger Mahony who said he will in fact help illegals when and if new "anti-illegal laws" are enacted. This guy represents over 288 parishes.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 05-17-07 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-17-07, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk God

If PP wins will that be a blow to all investigative reporters who use the same tactics? I would think that major newspapers, tv news shows, etc. would help her fight this. Not because they agree, but because if she were to lose, it could be a huge blow to them.

But I can't imagine how she could lose on this, personally.
Old 05-17-07, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Does the Church support the pro-life movement? What about the website where that article was published from.

From what it appears, I would say yes, a law was violated. But what I am saying, is we have the church pointing fingers at abortion clinics when they themselves are breaking laws which could be argued are more dire.
I may not be following....why would it be illegal for a church to support the pro-life movement?
Old 05-17-07, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I can hardly imagine the Catholic Church disagreeing with the act of this girl. What I am saying is they support the anti-abortionists. Many Christians have their anti-abortion ideology as well, and have their own problems.

So, ok, let's say this clinic broke the law. Now what? What do you want to happen? Do you want the law enforced? Ok, so let's enforce the law then. What is the punishment for this crime.
Old 05-17-07, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I may not be following....why would it be illegal for a church to support the pro-life movement?
I was referring to illegal immigrants. Not pro-lifers.
Old 05-17-07, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk God

I was referring to illegal immigrants. Not pro-lifers.
Oh.
Old 05-17-07, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

But answer my question now. What to do? Enforce the law?

(I'm directing this to Rock...not you kvrdave. But more than welcome to hear what you have to say as well. )
Old 05-17-07, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bhk
Posing as someone you're not is what is often used to catch sexual predators. The FBI and police do it all the time. It is also done by investigative reporters all the time.
Yep. Investigative reporting, while not always the best approach, certainly has helped people by exposing the local crooks and other law-breakers and putting pressure on authorities to do something about it.

Here's one example that got a lot of attention and finally put pressure on the school to actually do something about bad kids.
http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?s=6201038

I don't know if what happened in this case with PP is common or not, but that particular clinic certainly should be investigated and all the guilty clinic workers punished.

The only way PP should sue is if the tape and story were made up - defamation.
Old 05-17-07, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

If PP has a rule that by entering their private dwelling you agree to not have any recording devices, weapons, and so forth, and you violate those rules, you can be sued in a court of law, regardless if the business broke the law. The business breaking the law is a separate issue from the person violating their own terms. Often the business/entity will not pursue legal complaints because they are guilty and don't want more publicity.

I agree, Rock. Both should back off. I think PP was probably not too smart in sending that letter to the girl.

I would like to hear the entire conversation though.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 05-17-07 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-17-07, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

What if the judge is pro-life.
Old 05-17-07, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk God

But answer my question now. What to do? Enforce the law?

(I'm directing this to Rock...not you kvrdave. But more than welcome to hear what you have to say as well. )
It seems like an odd comparison to me. We really don't enforce any immigration laws now. But we do tend to look into things like statutory rape. Obviously they should enforce the laws equally, and I wouldn't have a problem with that, but it is so hard to tell what immigration laws are really in effect, and which are just things we have on the books for looks. If churches were harboring illegals and we were actually trying to round up all the illegals, it would be much different.
Old 05-17-07, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I wonder if PP clinics have some sort of confidientiality agreement which is contigent on the patient as well. Because this girl technically broke that confidentiality between her and the clinic when she publicized the tapes, then she certainly can be sued. I haven't looked into this too much but it could be a possibility.
Old 05-17-07, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk God

I wonder if PP clinics have some sort of confidientiality agreement which is contigent on the patient as well. Because this girl technically broke that confidentiality between her and the clinic when she publicized the tapes, then she certainly can be sued. I haven't looked into this too much but it could be a possibility.
That could be. However, you try to hold that here, and you drop the hammer on most all investigative reporting, don't you? Reporters have posed as employees (I think King Foods was a famous one) for lots of things like this.

I'm not saying she can't be sued, as people can sue for anything, but I do believe she would end up with support from a lot of unlikely allies if that were to happen.
Old 05-17-07, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Michelle Malkin on this:
http://michellemalkin.com/archives/007546.htm?print=1

I am surprised that not much info is out there on this. There does seem to be more to the story and lawsuit. But I hope PP's lawsuit is dismissed.
Old 05-17-07, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bravo Lilia, bravo.. my hat's off to you.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.