Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Planned Parenthood Threatens Lawsuit Against Pro-Life UCLA Student

Old 05-17-07, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What are the wire tapping laws in CA? In many states, the person has to know you're recording them or you have to have a warrant. Didn't something like that come up in the case with Linda Tripp?
Old 05-17-07, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
It seems like an odd comparison to me. We really don't enforce any immigration laws now...
Whaaaa?
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) removed more than 186,600 illegal aliens from the country in FY 2006, a record for the agency and a ten percent increase over the number of removals during the prior fiscal year.
More fun facts here.

(BTW, I'd be the first to admit that 186,600 is just a drop in the bucket... but we actually have an entire federal agency dedicated to enforcing immigration laws. It may be selective enforcement -- especially in cracking down on employers, which should be Job Number One IMO -- but there is enforcement.)
Old 05-17-07, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Ok seriously, what exactly does the church have to do with this article?
It's called deflection (aka let's gloss over one problem by bringing up a tangentally related other problem).
Old 05-17-07, 08:52 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
How about you set up your psychic shop on one side of the street, and me on the other. Then, we can refer our clientele to each other and make double the amount of $$$$.

But anyway, I'm not sure what's wrong with this legally. In fact, it could be argued the situation was a total setup to encourage the clinic to go to the extreme exception.

When Dateline/NBC does their show "To Catch A Predator," the guys end up going to jail.
Old 05-17-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk God

What's the law in CA when it comes to recording conversations? If a party is required to get permission, then I don't see what the problem is with PPFA pursuing a lawsuit here.
Old 05-17-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by grundle
When Dateline/NBC does their show "To Catch A Predator," the guys end up going to jail.

The difference being is that they aren't recording the predator on his property.
Old 05-17-07, 09:01 AM
Political Exile

Here's a more reliable source:

http://www.salon.com/mwt/broadsheet/...ood/print.html

Undercover attack on Planned Parenthood

Antiabortion activist visits clinic posing as a minor and says her 23-year-old boyfriend impregnated her.

Tracy Clark-Flory

May. 11, 2007 | A hidden camera hit-piece on Planned Parenthood is quickly making the rounds on YouTube. The first of two videos captures a staff member at a Los Angeles Planned Parenthood clinic appearing to obliquely guide a pregnant 15-year-old on how to lie about her age in order to have an abortion without the clinic's being required to report a statutory rape to the police. In the second video, a worker at a different clinic counsels the girl and relates that she'd given birth at the age of 17 and later came to regret it. But, as it turns out, the 15-year-old is actually 18-year-old Lila Rose, a UCLA student doing undercover work for the Advocate, an antiabortion magazine.

There isn't exactly news here -- this is just the latest attempt by antiabortion activists to entrap Planned Parenthood workers by posing as underage girls. In the video, Rose takes on a childish, wavering tone and explains that her 23-year-old boyfriend got her pregnant, then pauses, and asks whether they have to report it. The Planned Parenthood worker leaves the room to double-check the age of consent and returns to tell her, "If you're 15, we have to report it ... If you're not, if you're older than that, then we don't need to." Rose asks, "OK, but if I just say I'm not 15, then it's different?" The worker then says, "You could say 16." Later, the worker says, "Just figure out a birthdate that works. And I don't know anything."

There's no question the Planned Parenthood worker was going against official protocol. I called up Kathy Kneer, president and CEO of Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California, who said, "It is our absolute policy that we do not counsel patients in that fashion. We regularly train our staff on how to comply and how to report suspected child abuse." She added: "She controlled the situation and that was her goal and intent. Ideally, our staff would have handled it differently." Since then, they've retrained their staff on reporting guidelines.

-- Tracy Clark-Flory
Old 05-17-07, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
What's the law in CA when it comes to recording conversations?
According to this article (no date give though) it looks like PP might have a case

http://www.dailyjournal.com/callawye...vid=1&mcle=yes
The California Invasion of Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code 630-637.5) imposes a stricter standard than the federal statute, requiring the consent of all parties to the conversation prior to recording.
Also this http://www.rtnda.org/resources/hidde...alifornia.html

Still doesn't change the fact what PP is doing is wrong, but collecting the evidence this way doesn't seem to help anyone.

Last edited by nemein; 05-17-07 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-17-07, 09:11 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by bhk
Of course they are. They will cover up cases of incestuous rape by not reporting it to the authorities. They've done it in the past.

http://www.coshoctontribune.com/apps...9/1014/OPINION

Planned Parenthood looked the other way, Mason rape victim says

PETER BRONSON

It was one of the worst cases of child abuse Warren County Prosecutor Rachel Hutzel has ever seen - and she has seen a few.

"I thought I would get held in contempt of court because I argued it so vigorously in court," she said, still outraged by the case eight months later. "The father was basically treating his daughter like she was his wife."

John Blanks Jr. of Mason was sentenced to five years - one year in prison for every year he molested his daughter, beginning when she was 13. "She had to get up out of his bed in the morning and go to school, if you can imagine what that was like," Hutzel said.
In May 2006, the girl told a Mason High School official what was going on. "She finally decided she wasn't going to take it anymore and she didn't want her sibling to become a victim," Hutzel said.

Now the girl says in a lawsuit filed Wednesday that the abuse could have been stopped earlier. In November 2004, when she was 16, the girl was forced by her father to have an abortion. She reported the abuse at the Planned Parenthood abortion clinic in Cincinnati, her lawyer says.

"She tried to put an end to this abuse," said Brian Hurley, "by informing a Planned Parenthood employee that she has been forced to have sex and to do things she did not want to do. Tragically for her, Planned Parenthood's 'don't ask, don't tell' policy was in full force."

State law requires teachers, clinic workers and others to report suspected abuse to police. But Planned Parenthood "completely ignored her cry for help," Hurley said, and his client was "raped on many occasions over the next one and one-half years."

Becki Brenner, president of Planned Parenthood Southwest Ohio, said: "I won't speak on individual patients, but I am very eager to see the facts of this case come out for public review. I can't tell you the facts because of the legal issues, but I think people may be surprised."

She also said, "We do not have a 'don't ask, don't tell' policy."

Hurley also represents "Jane Roe," a victim of sexual abuse by her soccer coach at age 14. She was taken by the abuser to Planned Parenthood in the fall of 2004 for an abortion. Although she used a junior-high school I.D. and the coach, 21, paid with a credit card and driver's license, Planned Parenthood failed to report the abuse.

Planned Parenthood officials said they were misled and did not know the man who gave permission and paid for the abortion was the abuser.

That case is still in court. An appeals court hearing is expected Tuesday on Judge Patrick Dinkelacker's order for Planned Parenthood to turn over records of underage abortions to Hurley. As in similar cases in Indiana and Kansas, Planned Parenthood has invoked patient privacy. Even if names and addresses are deleted, Planned Parenthood attorney Daniel Buckley argued there are "profound and significant privacy issues."

But based on records obtained so far, Hurley said, "My guess is that this is just the tip of the iceberg, and that is why Planned Parenthood will do anything to prevent us from seeing its records."

In the Roe case, a Planned Parenthood "Documentation Form for Suspected Sexual or Child Abuse Report" says:

"Patient reports pregnancy is a result of sexual assault by a stranger."

"After consultation with (Planned Parenthood) attorney, report of a crime to the police was not made; due to physician-patient privilege, we are prohibited from reporting as no severe bodily injury was reported."

Hurley said prosecutors in four local counties know of no such exception to reporting requirements. Hutzel agreed. If evidence of severe injury were required, "there would be no reports in the vast majority of situations," Hurley said.

Hutzel said she is "keeping the door open" for possible criminal prosecution depending on what is revealed in the civil case.

"By failing to report it and giving her an abortion and birth-control pills, they sent her home with him and he abused her for another year and a half," she said. "That had to have been one of the darkest days of her life. She has just had an abortion, now she has to get back in the car and go home with him."

Hurley also found a note in Planned Parenthood files about sexual abuse that mentions "don't ask, don't tell."

Last edited by grundle; 05-17-07 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-17-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't see why PP would not report these cases. Obviously if the patient is reporting they were abused they dont want to keep it a secret, right?
Old 05-17-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait that guy got 5 years in prison for molesting his daughter for 5 years? Wow, light penalty.
Old 05-17-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

As to the case of the coach:

"Patient reports pregnancy is a result of sexual assault by a stranger."

That doesn't imply it was the guy who came into the clinic with the girl. Or did the girl address the man as Mr. Stranger, and the PP employees ignored that reference.

Becki Brenner, president of Planned Parenthood Southwest Ohio, said: "I won't speak on individual patients, but I am very eager to see the facts of this case come out for public review. I can't tell you the facts because of the legal issues, but I think people may be surprised."

Might be good advice.
Old 05-17-07, 09:40 AM
Political Exile

You have a 15-yr old girl who is pregnant by a 23-yr old. Does it serve the community if the guy is locked up for several years and the 15-yr old is forced to take care of the baby on her own? Her parents could very likely disown her due to their belief system. He's coming to an abortion clinic with this girl, which demonstrates he is helping her and is standing by her.

Why not have a 15-yr old boy take a recording device to a local Catholic church and record the excited priest and his interests.

The Church has a lot more power to cover their own sexual dysfunctionality. They have committed crimes. Those crimes have been averted their punishment with hundreds of millions of dollars.

Abortion clinics don't have that much power and this article seems to correlate them with power they don't have. Anyone with a two-bit attorney could draft a letter like that and send it to the alleged violators.

It's against the law for the church to knowingly enable illegal immigrants, but look at that twist of morality. Should we let these illegals stay here and use up legal citizen resources even though many churches are now in favor of violating federal and state laws?

Seems like if you compare the two, abortion clinics are at the lower end of the societal problem. It's the church who seems to further the societal ills. This has always baffled me--me, coming from a father who was a minister.

Doctors are required by law to report sexual abuse to the police.

Just because priests break the law doesn't mean that it's OK for doctors to break the law.
Old 05-17-07, 09:41 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by kvrdave
If PP wins will that be a blow to all investigative reporters who use the same tactics? I would think that major newspapers, tv news shows, etc. would help her fight this. Not because they agree, but because if she were to lose, it could be a huge blow to them.

But I can't imagine how she could lose on this, personally.

Excellent!
Old 05-17-07, 09:42 AM
Political Exile

I can hardly imagine the Catholic Church disagreeing with the act of this girl. What I am saying is they support the anti-abortionists. Many Christians have their anti-abortion ideology as well, and have their own problems.

So, ok, let's say this clinic broke the law. Now what? What do you want to happen? Do you want the law enforced? Ok, so let's enforce the law then. What is the punishment for this crime.

I think this is more about embarassing Planned Parenthood than it is about prosecuting them.

Last edited by grundle; 05-17-07 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-17-07, 09:45 AM
Political Exile

I would like to hear the entire conversation though.

The article in post 39 says it's on youtube.
Old 05-17-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by NCMojo
(BTW, I'd be the first to admit that 186,600 is just a drop in the bucket... but we actually have an entire federal agency dedicated to enforcing immigration laws. It may be selective enforcement -- especially in cracking down on employers, which should be Job Number One IMO -- but there is enforcement.)
Drop in the bucket? Don't be silly....they are starting to finally close in on that 1% mark. And that only means a slight negative when comparing those getting in.
Old 05-17-07, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by grundle
Doctors are required by law to report sexual abuse to the police.

Just because priests break the law doesn't mean that it's OK for doctors to break the law.
It is a great way to give away your license if you are caught and prosecuted!

-p
Old 05-17-07, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Like a Christian organization hasn't flexed their muscle.

Maybe The Vatican can get involved. Oh wait. They're too busy settling child molestations, rapes, and sodomy cases behind closed doors.

Talk about lying and deceipt. I mean really, Jerry's death is already an ironic masterpiece but yet we seem to have another one lined up.

God must have a great sense of humor.
What are you talking about? Is it that hard to stay on the topic at hand?
Old 05-17-07, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So, here I am off-topic, and you post responses way too late. Great combination.