Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Tennessee teachers stage fake gunman attack on students during school trip

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 05-13-07, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

toss up between politics and otter. I figured either one I picked it'd get moved, but I ended up deciding on politics because gov't policy/laws will undoubtedly eventually come up

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/...ked-Attack.php
The Associated Press
Published: May 13, 2007

MURFREESBORO, Tennessee: Staff members of a Tennessee elementary school staged a fictitious gun attack on students during a class trip, telling them it was not a drill as the children cried and hid under tables.

The mock attack Thursday night was intended as a learning experience and lasted five minutes during the weeklong trip to a state park, said Scales Elementary School Assistant Principal Don Bartch, who led the trip.

"We got together and discussed what we would have done in a real situation," he said.

But parents of the students, who are about 11 years old, were outraged.

"The children were in that room in the dark, begging for their lives, because they thought there was someone with a gun after them," said Brandy Cole, whose son went on the trip.

Some parents said they were upset by the staff's poor judgment in light of the April 16 shootings at Virginia Tech that left 33 students and professors dead, including the gunman.

During the last night of the trip, staff members convinced the 69 students that there was a gunman on the loose. They were told to lie on the floor or hide underneath tables and stay quiet. A teacher, disguised in a hooded sweat shirt, even pulled on a locked door.

After the lights went out, about 20 kids started to cry, 11-year-old Shay Naylor said.

"I was like, 'Oh My God,' " she said. "At first I thought I was going to die. We flipped out."

Principal Catherine Stephens declined to say whether the staff members involved would face disciplinary action, but said the situation "involved poor judgment."
I think something like this might be ok for a teacher/staff in service day, but to spring it on the kids and make them think it's real is going too far

although I do disagree that the VT shooting makes this in poor taste, it actually makes these kinds of drills a good idea. As long as the drills are done a bit differently of course
Old 05-13-07, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd like to be the first parent to do a mock home invasion on a few of these "teachers". Fucking idiots.
Old 05-13-07, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just picturing this drill being set up by Dwight from The Office.
Old 05-13-07, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Just think if one of the kids was packing heat.
Old 05-14-07, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Drills are important, but are generally only helpful when you know it is a drill. Something like this could really scar the kids. Think of it this way, if you are worried about your daughter being abducted, would you ever hire someone to abduct her to show her how bad it really is? That would be equivelent to child abuse, in my opinion, and I don't think this is much better.

I don't like lawsuits in these situations, but if the school did not fire or get resignations from all the teachers involved, I would sue. If I were on the board of that school, I would call for all the teachers resignations. It may be just a mistake, but there is nothing wrong with paying for a mistake. Let them go teach somehwere else and show that school how they have learned from their mistake.
Old 05-14-07, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

lol, according to what i just found this is a serious crime and people should be fired and jailed for this:

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5740000115.HTM

hey nice try, putting your jobs at risk like that too bad I dont feel sorry for you

*it's under Missouri law but I'm guessing the laws regarding terroristic threats are pretty much uniform in all states. Under Missouri law this one would be put under parts (1), (2), maybe (3)

Last edited by Sorraffy; 05-14-07 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-14-07, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sounds good to me.
Old 05-14-07, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. What ever happened to just doing a lock down drill (that the kids know is a drill?) I would want anyone (teachers, principal if he or she knew about it) fired or I would sue.
Old 05-14-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Drills are important, but are generally only helpful when you know it is a drill. Something like this could really scar the kids. Think of it this way, if you are worried about your daughter being abducted, would you ever hire someone to abduct her to show her how bad it really is? That would be equivelent to child abuse, in my opinion, and I don't think this is much better.

I don't like lawsuits in these situations, but if the school did not fire or get resignations from all the teachers involved, I would sue. If I were on the board of that school, I would call for all the teachers resignations. It may be just a mistake, but there is nothing wrong with paying for a mistake. Let them go teach somehwere else and show that school how they have learned from their mistake.
What he said.

Boy, this makes my blood boil. I'm trying to think of a punishment worthy enough, yet still legal.

On second thought, let's just kill 'em.
Old 05-14-07, 11:13 PM
Political Exile

This is a government school - no one will be fired.

They might get paid their full salaries to sit in rubber rooms and read magazines until they retire. But they won't get fired.
Old 05-15-07, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk God

You can fire union teachers. You just need administration that go through the steps.
Old 05-15-07, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

No, you just need a lot of news attention. Like a flashlight on cock-a-roaches.
Old 05-15-07, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If I had kids, they would be schooled at home. I think our public "learning" system is falling apart and we have idiots for teachers. Not all of them. We have a great teacher who posts on this forum. But all it takes is one idiot teacher to mess with your kid.
Old 05-16-07, 07:56 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by kvrdave
You can fire union teachers. You just need administration that go through the steps.

Yes, but it's extremely expensive and bureaucratic and time consuming.