Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Republicans: The party of small govt

Old 05-11-07, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Republicans: The party of small govt

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070510/feder...get.html?.v=10

Revenue Collections Hit Record in April

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Federal revenue collections hit an all-time high in April, contributing to a further improvement in the budget deficit for the year.
Releasing its monthly budget report, the Treasury Department said Thursday that through the first seven months of this budget year, the deficit totals $80.8 billion, significantly below the $184.1 billion imbalance run up during the first seven months of the 2006 budget year.

So far this year, tax revenues total $1.505 trillion, an increase of 11.2 percent over the same period last year. That figure includes $383.6 billion collected in April, the largest monthly tax collection on record.

Tax collections swell in April every year as individuals file their tax returns by the deadline.

For the first seven months of this budget year, which began Oct. 1, revenue collections and government spending are at all-time highs.

Some will spin it as the economy is good and the tax cuts are working. Others will point out that these numbers don't show the whole picture anyway because of supplementals and all.

Spin as you will.

I just wanted to point out that the govt is taking in more and spending more than any point in history. Inflation has to do with it, but so much for smaller govt
Old 05-11-07, 11:07 AM
Admin-MemeCat

I wonder what the deficit would look like if we actually put the Iraq war funding on the books as it should be instead of these silly supplementals. Ok, that's my spin and I'm sticking to it.
Old 05-11-07, 11:16 AM

"No true Scotsman..."
Old 05-11-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega
I wonder what the deficit would look like if we actually put the Iraq war funding on the books as it should be instead of these silly supplementals. Ok, that's my spin and I'm sticking to it.
That's not spin, it's reality.
Old 05-11-07, 12:16 PM

Larger, but so what?
Old 05-11-07, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Well - for one thing the deficit would be higher.
Old 05-11-07, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Republicans haven't been the party of small government since Calvin Coolidge.
Old 05-11-07, 01:34 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Originally Posted by Pharoh
Larger, but so what?
It's a big deal for this administration. I think we all know that.
Old 05-11-07, 01:37 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

We will never go back to being a small government. The little piglets are too addicted to milk from teat of the sow that is the Federal Government.
Old 05-11-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bhk
We will never go back to being a small government. The little piglets are too addicted to milk from teat of the sow that is the Federal Government.
Furthermore, it is not in the self-interest of government to make itself smaller. Heck, even if by some miracle the Libertarian Party took over the Fed, they would only be truly interested in reducing government for a few years before ideology got trumped by self-interest.
Old 05-11-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Federal income my go up and down from time to time, but the size of size of government will only get larger no matter who is in office.
Old 05-11-07, 02:15 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Capitalism works. The more resources are privately allocated (to a limit, of course), the most utility will society derive from them. But religious fundamentalists are more likely to accept evolution than some on the left to understand economics.
Absolutely true.
People still have a problem agreeing that despite the grave warnings of gloom and doom by the elected democrats, Pres. Bush's tax cuts did not "cost" the government of revenue but actually increased it.
Old 05-11-07, 02:27 PM

But religious fundamentalists are more likely to accept evolution than some on the left to understand economics.
Ignorance of economics is pretty universal and crosses ideologies.

There are a ton of people on this forum who like to make references to "Econ 101" as if that's all there is to it. Looking at my employer's offerings in the subject, there are 75 courses (not counting independent studies and the like) beyond the 100-level. Could it be possible that economics is a complex area of study which extends far past your repetitive harangues of "capitalism good, government bad?"
Old 05-11-07, 03:04 PM

Very nice. Now go and check how many biology courses are available regardless of the fact that its single organizing principle can be depicted in a few phrases, and understood by anyone not fanatically predisposed against it.
Economics isn't as simple or as streamlined as biology and you know it. The primary assumption of economics, that individuals are utility maximizers, is true enough to make certain generalizations correct much of the time, but not true enough to make any generalization true all of the time.
Old 05-11-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Very nice. Now go and check how many biology courses are available regardless of the fact that its single organizing principle can be depicted in a few phrases, and understood by anyone not fanatically predisposed against it.
So you're equating the study of natural phenomena with the study of human behavior? That's interesting and says a lot about how you think, probably unintentionally.
Old 05-11-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So human behavior is lies outside natural phenomena?

Not that I'm making the claim you suggest, but your conclusion is interesting, to say the least.
Well, yeah, it does. You know, natural sciences vs. social sciences.

If you would like to redefine the Western division of knowledge though, please feel free to start your own university.
Old 05-11-07, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk God

fight fight fight

Old 05-11-07, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
fight fight fight

Oh come on, I could have been a lot more condescending.
Old 05-11-07, 04:11 PM

And if it lies beyond nature, how do we derive any knowledge of it?
<a href = "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empiricism">Try this.</a>
Old 05-11-07, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So, any ideas whence it comes from then? And if it lies beyond nature, how do we derive any knowledge of it?
Do you have an actual response, or are you just going to rely on your hoary pseudo-intellectual babble to get you through yet again?
Old 05-11-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

republicans won't be the party of small gov't again until Ron Paul becomes president
Old 05-11-07, 04:23 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

You're as qualified of judging what is pseudo-intellectual and what is not, as kvrdave is at distinguishing Himalayan dialects.
The words you are looking for are: "as kvrdave is at refraining from shooting dogs".
Old 05-11-07, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You're as qualified of judging what is pseudo-intellectual and what is not, as kvrdave is at distinguishing Himalayan dialects.
Yeah, okay.

I'll just assume from your misdirection that you have no actual argument.
Old 05-11-07, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Arguments for what? You're the one who advanced the theory we're debating here, and which you failed to defend against my question.
What question was that exactly?

You know, when you drop the psuedo-intellectual bullshit you're a lot less tiring to respond to.
Old 05-11-07, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Post 23
That question means nothing to this debate.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.