Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Sharpton denies questioning Romney’s beliefs

Old 05-09-07, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sharpton denies questioning Romney’s beliefs

Updated: 33 minutes ago
BOSTON - The Rev. Al Sharpton, who recently urged that radio host Don Imus be fired for making a racially insensitive remark, said in a debate that “those of us who believe in God” will defeat Republican Mitt Romney for the White House. But Sharpton denied he was questioning the Mormon’s own belief in God.

Rather, the New York Democrat said he was contrasting himself with Christopher Hitchens, the atheist author he was debating at the time.

“As for the one Mormon running for office, those who really believe in God will defeat him anyways, so don’t worry about that; that’s a temporary situation,” Sharpton said Monday during a debate with Hitchens at the New York Public Library’s Beaux-Arts headquarters.

The comment was first reported Tuesday in a blog on The New York Times’s Web site.

The Romney campaign, which has been wary of campaign trail criticism of Romney’s faith, jumped on the Sharpton comment. If elected, Romney would be the first Mormon to serve as president.

“It is terribly disheartening and disappointing to hear Reverend Sharpton offer such appalling comments about a fellow American’s faith,” said Romney spokesman Kevin Madden. “America is a nation of many faiths and common values, and bigotry toward anyone because of their beliefs is unacceptable.”

‘There will be battles between different religions ...’
Romney himself said Monday during an appearance on Fox News program “Hannity and Colmes”: “I think there are differences between different faiths in this country. And there will be battles between different religions. ... That’s a great thing about this country. We don’t decide who’s going to be in office based on what church they go to.”

In a tape of the debate, Sharpton can be heard defending the role of religion in the civil rights movement and shunning any suggestion that there wasn’t a religious underpinning to the efforts of its leader, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Then Sharpton spoke of Romney, although a tape reviewed by The Associated Press does not reveal why.

In a later interview with the AP, Sharpton denied questioning Romney’s belief in God and suggested the Romney camp was trying to stir up a controversy because of their political differences.

“What I said was that we would defeat him, meaning as a Republican,” Sharpton said. “A Mormon, by definition, believes in God. They don’t believe in God the way I do, but by definition, they believe in God.”

He said he was contrasting himself and other believers with Hitchens, who is the author of a new book, “God Is Not Great.”

Sharpton led the calls for Imus’ ouster last month after the talk show host referred to members of the Rutgers University women’s basketball team as “nappy-headed hos.”
-----------------------------------------------------

typical sharpton..... what a loser
Old 05-09-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm just laughing at the image of Sharpton and Hitchens debating.

About his statement, meh. Christians/Mormons ... same difference.
Old 05-09-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's ok. He was building pyramids while we were living in caves.
Old 05-09-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

“What I said was that we would defeat him, meaning as a Republican,” Sharpton said. “A Mormon, by definition, believes in God. They don’t believe in God the way I do, but by definition, they believe in God.

What a jackass. BTW, how do Mormons "not believe in God the way" Sharpton does? They believe in one god don't they? Who cares about the other decorations?
Old 05-09-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CRM114
“What I said was that we would defeat him, meaning as a Republican,” Sharpton said. “A Mormon, by definition, believes in God. They don’t believe in God the way I do, but by definition, they believe in God.

What a jackass. BTW, how do Mormons "not believe in God the way" Sharpton does? They believe in one god don't they? Who cares about the other decorations?
According to this reputable source, Mormons worship the Christian god because Satan lost the vote.

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0061/0061_01.asp
Old 05-09-07, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
According to this reputable source, Mormons worship the Christian god because Satan lost the vote.

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0061/0061_01.asp
I take it there are no black Mormons?

Wow.
Old 05-09-07, 11:09 AM

It appears to me as if Sharpton was attacking Hitchens (and his athiesm), not Romney (and his Mormonism.)
Old 05-09-07, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Satan alleged vote-rigging and demanded a recount, but the U.S. Supreme Court, with their pro-God agenda, refused to even hear the case.
Old 05-09-07, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk God

About his statement, meh. Christians/Mormons ... same difference.
That is about like saying, "Sunni/Shiite.....same difference." And it is actually a bigger difference than that.

But then, it's you.
Old 05-09-07, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
But then, it's you.
Irrational belief in the supernatural is irrational belief in the supernatural.
Old 05-09-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Irrational belief in the supernatural is irrational belief in the supernatural.
Yeah, that's what you meant.

Next time you discuss how we should have understood the differences in the different regions of Iraq, remember that they are all just irrational beliefs, and there is no difference.

I'm guessing it is an argument of convenience.
Old 05-09-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

True statement.

(But I don't think the "decorations" are all that important, either.)
Old 05-09-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Originally Posted by wendersfan
It appears to me as if Sharpton was attacking Hitchens (and his athiesm), not Romney (and his Mormonism.)
then why say that those who truly believe in god will defeat the one mormon running?
Old 05-09-07, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by mikehunt
then why say that those who truly believe in god will defeat the one mormon running?
Those that really believe in God (i.e., not athiests like Hitchens) will defeat him.
Old 05-09-07, 10:55 PM
X
Administrator

Those that really believe in God (i.e., not athiests like Hitchens) will defeat him.
So Sharpton thought that those who believe in God will not vote for Romney? Did he say why?
Old 05-09-07, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
And...

Why is God a factor in defeating romney

WAIT!!!

What the fuck am I doing having a debate about THIS GUY!?!?!?!?

Old 05-10-07, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW, how do Mormons "not believe in God the way" Sharpton does?
Mormons don't cry racism when "blacky" is "picked on"
Old 05-10-07, 08:37 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
I can't understand why anyone pays any attention to Sharpton anymore.
Old 05-10-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk God

How the hell did I miss a debate btwn Hitchens and Sharpton....on religion no less. That must have been gold. Is it available on youtube?
Old 05-10-07, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I take it there are no black Mormons?

Wow.
Blacks couldn't hold the priesthood in the LDS church until the 70s (iirc)
Old 05-10-07, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by X
So Sharpton thought that those who believe in God will not vote for Romney? Did he say why?
Maybe I'm just interpreting the whole conversation wrong.
Old 05-10-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Sharpton misspoke. But he believes that Romney believes in a different God than him and I don't see anything wrong in him stating that.
Old 05-10-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

of course he is going to deny it

think back through time

when was the last time you heard Al man up and admit something?
Old 05-10-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I read it again: "As for the one Mormon running for office, those who really believe in God will defeat him anyways, so don’t worry about that"

I don't see anything wrong with that. Sharpton believes that as a Mormon, Romney doesn't believe in the same God as he does. If that is the case, what is wrong with what he said? If Sharpton believed the Mormons were right, he'd join the church. They have an exclusive hold of the priesthood, Sharpton's title is invalid if he believed what the Mormons say.
Old 05-10-07, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

it's called karma and it bit Rev. Sharpton and the rest of the PC patrol in the a**. You REAP what you SOW. I'm glad the media is going to scrutinize every word this man says from now on especially after giving him a free ride after the Tawana Brawley incident.

What he did to Imus was personal and wrong. I hope Sharpton loses his job over the Romney comment ... oh wait.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.