Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Do we influence what politicians think or do they influence what we think?

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Do politicians have more influence on what people think or do we influence them more?
We influence what politicians think more than they influence people.
27.27%
Politicians influence what people think about issues more than we influence them.
54.55%
It's pretty even.
18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-07, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Since it is a little of both, who has the most influence?

I tend to think that for the majority, we form our opinions on most matters based on what our favorite politicians say about an issue. There are always exceptions like most Republicans being against rampant illegal immigration while Bush loves it, and the like. But what do you think?
Old 05-08-07, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
People are sheep. Just look at republican party.

Old 05-08-07, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the government sets the tone for a lot of things - war, drug policy, economic status, foreign relations, pork programs like highway stuff, etc. But many times, it is the major lobbying groups that puts pressure on the government for these things.

The media plays some part too.
Old 05-09-07, 07:43 AM
Admin-Thanos

I think the public influences what politicians think. After all they're in it for our votes so they want to hear what is bothering people. Look at the abortion issue, or the anti war issue. The politicians are reacting to public interest/opinion, not crafting it themselves.
Old 05-09-07, 07:43 AM

We could speed up the process if we just let Oprah speak to all the politicians, and they could ignore her.
Old 05-09-07, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dave, you brought up illegal immigration -- case in point. The Republicans were gung-ho to push through tough, almost militant legislation cracking down on illegal immigration. It got through the House... and then came the massive immigrant protests across America (and especially in LA). I think that kind of opened the eyes of the GOP leadership, because immigration reform was DOA when it hit the Senate. And that's when Bush started his appeasement talk of "amnesty".

But it oftentimes takes a tidal wave of protest to even cause a drip in the legislative process.
Old 05-09-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Except for the biggest of issues, the carbon blobs have little influence.
Old 05-09-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The "Correct Answer" is:

Before elections we influence what politicians think, after elections politicians influence what we think.
Old 05-09-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by NCMojo
Dave, you brought up illegal immigration -- case in point. The Republicans were gung-ho to push through tough, almost militant legislation cracking down on illegal immigration. It got through the House... and then came the massive immigrant protests across America (and especially in LA). I think that kind of opened the eyes of the GOP leadership, because immigration reform was DOA when it hit the Senate. And that's when Bush started his appeasement talk of "amnesty".

But it oftentimes takes a tidal wave of protest to even cause a drip in the legislative process.

Looks at Bush's history as Govenor in Texas. He didn't just recently decide to be weak on immigration.
Old 05-09-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If by "people" you mean "corporations", then yes, we do influence what politicians think.
Old 05-09-07, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Looks at Bush's history as Govenor in Texas. He didn't just recently decide to be weak on immigration.
Oh, God, I'd advise you not even to try to compare Governor Bush to President Bush. It's like he suffered a schizophrenic meltdown in the wake of the 2000 election.
Old 05-09-07, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Okay. Forgot who I was dealing with.