Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Kansas Sex Offender Wants Registry Law Changed

Old 05-08-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kansas Sex Offender Wants Registry Law Changed

http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/...s=kc1&psp=news

LEAWOOD, Kan. -- A Kansas businessman is pushing to change sex offender laws across the country.

Terry Brown said his plan would reduce crimes against children but would also take sex offender registries away from the public eye.

Brown said his plan is to lobby lawmakers in Kansas and eventually nationwide to take a rational approach to sex offender laws, rather than an emotional one.

Brown, who owns a software company, is also listed on the KBI's sex offender registry for exposing himself to children several years ago.

"I spent 62 months total in prison. I was released in February 2003," Brown told KMBC's Dan Weinbaum.

He said the way we treat and label sex offenders isn't working and it doesn't reduce crime.

"We need balance. I'm not trying to reduce or minimize the danger that's there -- it is there," Brown said.

He has created the Hope 4 Tomorrow foundation with a goal of reducing child-sex crimes. He has a five-point plan:

Amnesty to bring in unknown sex offenders and put them on a registry
Reduce mandatory first-time 25-year sentences to five years, but include stricter punishment for those who physically harm children
Get rid of punitive measures such as colored license plates and buffer zones
Include age-appropriate education in schools
Reduce the sex offender list from public view and allow access to only law enforcement

"We are acting out of emotion rather than rationality -- I mean, why are the experts saying one thing and we do something else? It just doesn't make sense," Brown said.

On The Web
Learn more Brown's foundation at www.hope4tomorrow.us.
Old 05-08-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk God

I will say that I don't like the idea of making people pay for a crime past their sentence, but I think the good outweighs the bad in that regard.

And it would have more impact if it wasn't coming from a kiddie flasher.
Old 05-08-07, 12:18 PM

This is already public information (as is any conviction). The offender registries just make it easier for the public to find.
Old 05-08-07, 12:27 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by kvrdave
And it would have more impact if it wasn't coming from a kiddie flasher.
With all due respect, who else would advocate for sex offenders? Any congressional representative who would advocate for sex offenders is making a political suicide. I would even say this Kansas SO's push for law change is just a gigantic waste of time because no representative would even consider his suggestion. The representatives have the responsibility to make their citizens of thousands happy. Who would stupid enough to advocate for the change to piss off the thousands and make few SO's happy? In an environment where SOs are made stigma worst than murders, you ain't going to see any loosening of the laws but the opposite.
Old 05-08-07, 12:30 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Groucho
This is already public information (as is any conviction). The offender registries just make it easier for the public to find.
That's kind of my take as well. I don't like the idea of them having to use a special license plate or wear an arm band or paint their house a certain color, but the registry is simply giving people access to information about a type of crime where rehabilitation is a rarity and often people commit multiple offenses.

PS - Vibs, we prefer if you add some comment when you start a thread with an article. Don't just post the article and run. Stay a while.
Old 05-08-07, 12:36 PM

PS - Vibs, we prefer if you add some comment when you start a thread with an article. Don't just post the article and run. Stay a while.
In all fairness this thread started in Other where I don't think that "requirement" has really been stipulated as much as in the Political forum. I moved it since it seem more relevant to here.
Old 05-08-07, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega
That's kind of my take as well. I don't like the idea of them having to use a special license plate or wear an arm band or paint their house a certain color, but the registry is simply giving people access to information about a type of crime where rehabilitation is a rarity and often people commit multiple offenses.

Sorry Vin. I was just sputtering mad when I read this article. I had to calm down a little before I could comment.

I think the sex offender laws should be modified so that people arrested for public urination, and stuff like that, aren't labeled sex offenders. Nor should seventeen-year-old boys who have consensual sex with fifteen-year-old girlfriends be considered sex offenders.

But for genuine offenses -- particularly when a child is involved -- no mercy. None.
Old 05-08-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Personally, I think we need more flashers. They're everywhere in classic comedy, and never fail to get the laugh, but you never see one in real life. WTF?!
Old 05-08-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by SuperJim88
With all due respect, who else would advocate for sex offenders? Any congressional representative who would advocate for sex offenders is making a political suicide. I would even say this Kansas SO's push for law change is just a gigantic waste of time because no representative would even consider his suggestion. The representatives have the responsibility to make their citizens of thousands happy. Who would stupid enough to advocate for the change to piss off the thousands and make few SO's happy? In an environment where SOs are made stigma worst than murders, you ain't going to see any loosening of the laws but the opposite.
The ACLU. Sexual offenders would be one of their cleaner clients.
Old 05-08-07, 12:42 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by nemein
In all fairness this thread started in Other where I don't think that "requirement" has really been stipulated as much as in the Political forum. I moved it since it seem more relevant to here.
Ah, I just noticed that. I have been thoroughly schooled.
Originally Posted by Vibiana
I think the sex offender laws should be modified so that people arrested for public urination, and stuff like that, aren't labeled sex offenders. Nor should seventeen-year-old boys who have consensual sex with fifteen-year-old girlfriends be considered sex offenders.
I believe you're referring to that case in GA. What an abomination that thing was. That kid's in jail for a long time because the two of them had consensual sex.
Old 05-08-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A few years ago, one man who was a convicted sex offender was featured on the local news every single night. The station had a camera crew following him.

He eventually left town. I don't know if it was because of the death threats, or because someone burned down his home.

I think a lot of sex offender laws are in place is so elected officials can make themselves look good by being tough on witchcraft. Everybody hates witches, so it's good politics to pass laws against them. I personally think that murder is a worse crime than child molestation or rape (or running a brothel, which is why someone in my zip code is on the list). I don't see any big push for requiring convicted murders to be identified.
Old 05-08-07, 01:05 PM
Retired

I'm mixed on the registries.

On the one hand I like that people are aware an ex-offender is in their neighborhood. But on the other hand, the stigmatization that comes with it probably makes it less likely for the offender to be "rehabilitated" as he will be alienated etc. (i.e. the labeling theory argument).

I lean more toward them being unnecessary though, as it seems like parents should be keeping an eye on their kids, telling them not to talk to strangers, get into cars with strangers etc. regardless of whether their is a known sex offender in the neighborhood. So I'm really not sure there's any added preventative impact by having the registries.

But then again many parents suck at parenting and the knowledge might be the only thing that sparks them to take that kind of interest in their kids.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 05-08-07 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-08-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Personally, I think we need more flashers. They're everywhere in classic comedy, and never fail to get the laugh, but you never see one in real life. WTF?!
Old 05-08-07, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rapists and sex offenders get no quarter from me. Is there another type of crime that has a higher recidivism rate than sex crimes?

If it's truly a problem of "urges" or some other psychological bullshit that a person "can't control", there's a real easy way to do that - snip, snip. I have no issue with a person being given a choice after jail - the sex offender registry or castration. Of course, one does not need working genitalia to be a sex offender, but it certainly couldn't hurt.

I seriously, seriously, hate sex offenders. There's hell, then there's the hell with sex offenders in it.
Old 05-08-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Rapists and sex offenders get no quarter from me. Is there another type of crime that has a higher recidivism rate than sex crimes?

If it's truly a problem of "urges" or some other psychological bullshit that a person "can't control", there's a real easy way to do that - snip, snip. I have no issue with a person being given a choice after jail - the sex offender registry or castration. Of course, one does not need working genitalia to be a sex offender, but it certainly couldn't hurt.

I seriously, seriously, hate sex offenders. There's hell, then there's the hell with sex offenders in it.
And as we all know, hate is the best way to design a fair criminal justice system.

I don't really have a problem with sex offender registries. As others have pointed out, convictions are public record, and it's just cutting out some of the work. However, there's no way that we should be creating "buffer zones" or whatever the fuck legislators think will help. It's public policy based on emotion, not facts.
Old 05-08-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh

I agree.
Old 05-08-07, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk God

I've said it once and I'll say it again - get rid of the registries and increase incarceration time for real sex offenders.
Old 05-08-07, 02:32 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I've said it once and I'll say it again - get rid of the registries and increase incarceration time for real sex offenders.
But that would cost money.
Old 05-08-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep.

I am not sure about castration, it seems like it could be unconstitutional as being cruel and unusual punishment since it lasts after the prison sentence. I don't know if the same can be said about judges having crack whores being made sterile. Any cases on these situations?

The story in Florida about cities basically outlawing SOs from living in most places which made some homeless and living under a bridge was pretty crazy. Even the parole officer had to stop by under the bridge to check on them.
Old 05-08-07, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But that would take a perfectly good jail cell away from a drug user.
Old 05-08-07, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
I agree with the Dog, real sex offenders should be caged for life.

Last edited by AGuyNamedMike; 05-08-07 at 06:58 PM. Reason: I removed a comment that seemed a bit snarky on second view.
Old 05-08-07, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't see how his proposals "would reduce crimes against children". Am I missing something?

I say we castrate em, at least after the 2nd offense. I don't see how it is cruel and if you do it enough, it won't be unusual
Old 05-08-07, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd have less problems with the sex offender registries if they were restricted to violent sex crimes or crimes against children and not include those convicted for consentual crimes such as solicitation or an 18 year old that had sex with his 17 year old girlfriend.
Old 05-09-07, 09:54 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Venusian
I don't see how his proposals "would reduce crimes against children". Am I missing something?
I assume he's talking about the labeling theory argument. i.e. labeling someone a sex offender after they get out of prison will make it harder for them to reform as they are constantly reminded they are a sex offender because of the label, others shun them because of the label, they can't find a good job because of the label etc. Thus labeling theorist argue for more reintegrative approaches that work to accepted criminals back into society once they've admitted their wrongdoing and served their punishment.

Not saying I agree with labeling theory, but it is out there and has some fairly reasonable empirical support in the criminological literature--but I've never seen any studies with sex offenders. With their recidivism rates being higher than most crimes (for the real sex offenders) I kind of doubt the labeling perspective has as much validity here.