Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Illinois Poised To Become A Smoke-Free State

Old 06-26-12, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Illinois Poised To Become A Smoke-Free State

Originally Posted by burnside986 View Post
So should we just seal ourselves in hermetically sealed bubbles every time we go outside out of fear of "catching the cancer"? Laws legislating how someone runs their business of this fashion are terrible and lead to shit like NY banning large sodas. BECAUSE WE KNOW WHATS GOOD FOR YOU AMERICA!
There are just too many people who think if only everyone were like themselves all would be wonderful. But since they won't conform on their own, they must be coerced for their own good. They think there is a perfect state of being any they will force people to that ideal no matter the cost. If it keeps going like this then I think every person should be allowed to outlaw 1 thing they hate and then the land will be perfect.
Old 06-26-12, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
These laws aren't about you not killing yourself by smoking (since smoking itself is not outlawed), they are about you not killing ME when you smoke alongside of me in an enclosed space...
Bingo. As the saying goes, your rights end where mine begin, and it has been established through science that secondhand smoke is dangerous.

If tobacco didn't have such a long history, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Suppose tobacco were a relatively "new" drug, at least in the United States, and a bunch of addicts were smoking here, there, and everywhere. Most likely, the drug would be outright banned. The chances of it being permitted in public places would be ZERO.

Businesses and people who are accustomed to favored treatment always protest when the wind is no longer at their backs. Setting things right is bound to ruffle a few feathers. This pattern plays out time and again throughout history. And with the benefit of hindsight, we can see the true nature of the opposition (i.e. business interests, special interests, and reactionaries).

Last edited by Ghostbuster; 06-26-12 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-27-12, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk God

How about third hand spoke?

After all the studies on that - they will move on to fourth hand smoke.

It will never end.

Question: Will dipping & chewing & spitting on the sidewalks be allowed?
Old 06-27-12, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by burnside986 View Post
So should we just seal ourselves in hermetically sealed bubbles every time we go outside out of fear of "catching the cancer"? Laws legislating how someone runs their business of this fashion are terrible and lead to shit like NY banning large sodas. BECAUSE WE KNOW WHATS GOOD FOR YOU AMERICA!
There is a massive difference between the proposed "soda ban" and prohibitions on smoking in public, indoor spaces. I know this might baffle your mind, but there are many thousands of us who think the prior is silliness and the latter is a positive legislative action. It is that obvious difference between the two that allows us to draw a clear ideological distinction.

I smoked for almost 20 years and was a smoker when the vast majority of these anti-smoking regulations kicked in. I remember lighting up on airplanes and in movie theaters and being seated in the smoking section of virtually every restaurant I went to, except in the small ones that didn't even have a non-smoking section at all. Looking back, it simply astounds me that I was ever even able to do that.

Even if you factor out the longer-term dangers of second-hand smoke exposure (which, truthfully, are probably overstated for people who only experience casual, occasional exposure), I would still support the vast majority of existing smoking bans. Smokers spew clouds of noxious filth into whatever room they are sitting in, lessening the enjoyment of food for those around them, frequently causing physical discomfort for some, and sending those that wisely choose not to smoke on their way with the stench in their clothes. So this activity, that some continue to trumpet as some sort of liberty, routinely causes discomforting, if not downright deleterious, effects on others.
Old 06-27-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I tend to agree foobar. It might have been fine when EVERYONE smoked, but we're a minority now, and yes, less than the health impact is just the fact the smoke is kind of disgusting.
Old 06-27-12, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
I tend to agree foobar. It might have been fine when EVERYONE smoked, but we're a minority now, and yes, less than the health impact is just the fact the smoke is kind of disgusting.
Seeing drunks falling over everyone in a bar is kind of disgusting - wouldn't you agree?
Old 06-27-12, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
Seeing drunks falling over everyone in a bar is kind of disgusting - wouldn't you agree?
Disgustingly funny!
Old 06-27-12, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the government wasnt in bed with big tobacco, cigarettes would have been outlawed a long time ago.