Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

2008 Democrat's Party Presidential Nominee Pool

Old 05-03-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

2008 Democrat's Party Presidential Nominee Pool

It's waaay early, but if the Dems are having their first quasi-debates already, then it's time to resurrect the Party Nomination pool. We did this 4 years ago, but I can't find that thread, so I'm resurrecting this largely from memory.

Here's how the game is played.

1- There are at present EIGHT declared nominees from the Democrat's Party for the 2008 Presidential Election (see list below). Your job is to guess the order in which they'll drop out.
2 - When you submit your guess, you must ensure that your order is unique. If someone else has already selected a particular order, you must chose a different order.
3 - After your guess has been submitted, you are allowed to make ONE change at any time prior to the commencement of the party convention. The change you make must be unique (see rule 2). Once you make that change, or once the convention begins, you are frozen.
4 - When you make a change, you drop to the bottom of the list of active players.

Here's what happens when a candidate drops out:
5 - If you guessed correctly... hooray! You're still in!
6 - If you guessed wrong AND have been frozen, you're out.
7 - If you guessed wrong but have NOT been frozen, you might still have a chance. Starting at the top of the list, players who guessed wrong will have their incorrect pick swapped with the candidate who actually dropped out. If the resulting list is unique (see rule 2), you're still in and your picks move to the bottom of the list of active players. However, if the new list has already been selected by an active player, then you're eliminated.

Re-entry rules
8 - Players who are eliminated after the first drop-out due to their swapped list being non-unique will be allowed to re-enter the pool with a brand new list, but will be frozen and cannot make any changes.
9 - New players may likewise enter the pool after the first drop-out, but will also be frozen. New players will be listed below re-entering players in the active player list.

The winner will be whomever selects the correct drop-out sequence. Order of finish will be based on number of correct sequential picks, with ties broken by position on the table at the time of elimination.

NOTE: The eight candidates in this pool (plus Vilsack) represent all of the Democrats who have filed or announced their intent to file the necessary paperwork with the Federal Elections Commission (FEC) as of the kickoff date of this pool. Even if other candidates file FEC paperwork, they will not be a part of this pool.

Link to GOP Pool: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=520455

Last edited by kenbuzz; 01-03-08 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-03-07, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dem Nominees

Here is the nominee pool, listed alphabetically:

<table><tr><td align=center></td><td align=center></td><td align=center></td></tr><tr><td align=center>Clinton</td><td align=center>Gravel</td><td align=center>Obama</td></tr></table>

Nominees who have withdrawn from the race:

<table><tr align=center><td></td><td align=center></td><td align=center></td><td align=center></td><td align=center></td></tr><tr align=center><td>#1 Dodd</td><td>#2 Biden</td><td>#3 Richardson</td><td>#4 Kucinich</td><td>#5 Edwards</td></tr><tr align=center><td>4 Jan 08</td><td>4 Jan 08</td><td>10 Jan 08</td><td>25 Jan 08</td><td>30 Jan 08</td></tr></table>

Nominees who dropped out prior to the pool starting:

<table><tr align=center><td></td></tr><tr align=center><td>Vilsack</td></tr><tr><td align=center>23 Feb 07</td></tr></table>

Notables who have not formed exploratory committees (excluded from this pool):

<table><tr><td align=center></td></tr><tr><td align=center>Gore</td></tr></table>

Potential candidates who have declined to seek nomination (excluded from this pool):

<table><tr><td align=center></td><td align=center></td><td align=center></td><td align=center></td><td align=center></td><td align=center></td><td align=center></td><td align=center></td></tr><tr><td align=center>Bayh</td><td align=center>Clark</td><td align=center>Daschle</td><td align=center>Dean</td><td align=center>Feingold</td><td align=center>Kerry</td><td align=center>Sharpton</td><td align=center>Warner</td></tr></table>

Last edited by kenbuzz; 02-02-08 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-03-07, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

<table border=1><tr><td align=center><b>Rank</b></td><td align=center><b>Player</b></td><td align=center><b>Status</b></td><td align=center><b>1st Out</b></td><td align=center><b>2nd Out</b></td><td align=center><b>3rd Out</b></td><td align=center><b>4th Out</b></td><td align=center><b>5th Out</b></td><td align=center><b>6th Out</b></td><td align=center><b>Last Out</b></td><td align=center><b>Nominee</b></td></tr><tr align=center><td>1</td><td>naitram</td><td>WINNER</td><td>Dodd</td><td>Biden</td><td>Richardson</td><td>Kucinich</td><td>Gravel</td><td>Edwards</td><td>Obama</td><td>Clinton</td></tr><tr align=center><td>2</td><td>NCMojo</td><td>OUT</td><td>Dodd</td><td>Biden</td><td>Richardson</td><td>Kucinich</td><td>Obama</td><td>Clinton</td><td>Gravel</td><td>Edwards</td></tr><tr align=center><td>3</td><td>FunkDaddy J</td><td>OUT</td><td>Dodd</td><td>Biden</td><td>Richardson</td><td>Kucinich</td><td>Gravel</td><td>Edwards</td><td>Clinton</td><td>Obama</td></tr><!--xyzzy--><tr align=center><td>4</td><td>wendersfan</td><td>OUT</td><td>Dodd</td><td>Biden</td><td>Richardson</td><td>Gravel</td><td>Kucinich</td><td>Obama</td><td>Edwards</td><td>Clinton</td></tr><tr align=center><td>5</td><td>JasonF</td><td>OUT</td><td>Dodd</td><td>Biden</td><td>Richardson</td><td>Gravel</td><td>Edwards</td><td>Kucinich</td><td>Clinton</td><td>Obama</td></tr><tr align=center><td>6</td><td>Vandelay Inds</td><td>OUT</td><td>Dodd</td><td>Biden</td><td>Richardson</td><td>Edwards</td><td>Gravel</td><td>Kucinich</td><td>Obama</td><td>Clinton</td></tr><tr align=center><td>7</td><td>Red Dog</td><td>OUT</td><td>Dodd</td><td>Biden</td><td>Richardson</td><td>Gravel</td><td>Obama</td><td>Edwards</td><td>Kucinich</td><td>Clinton</td></tr><tr align=center><td>8</td><td>kenbuzz</td><td>OUT</td><td>Dodd</td><td>Biden</td><td>Gravel</td><td>Richardson</td><td>Kucinich</td><td>Edwards</td><td>Clinton</td><td>Obama</td></tr><tr align=center><td>9</td><td>Damfino</td><td>OUT</td><td>Dodd</td><td>Biden</td><td>Gravel</td><td>Richardson</td><td>Edwards</td><td>Kucinich</td><td>Obama</td><td>Clinton</td></tr><tr align=center><td>10</td><td>Jason</td><td>OUT</td><td>Dodd</td><td>Biden</td><td>Gravel</td><td>Kucinich</td><td>Richardson</td><td>Edwards</td><td>Obama</td><td>Clinton</td></tr><tr align=center><td>11</td><td>Jeremy517</td><td>OUT</td><td>Dodd</td><td>Biden</td><td>Gravel</td><td>Richardson</td><td>Edwards</td><td>Clinton</td><td>Kucinich</td><td>Obama</td></tr><tr align=center><td>12</td><td>Venusian</td><td>OUT</td><td>Dodd</td><td>Biden</td><td><strike>Gravel</strike></td><td><strike>Richardson</strike></td><td><strike>Edwards</strike></td><td><strike>Kucinich</strike></td><td><strike>Clinton</strike></td><td><strike>Obama</strike></td></tr><tr align=center><td>13</td><td>Groucho</td><td>OUT</td><td>Dodd</td><td>Kucinich</td><td>Gravel</td><td>Richardson</td><td>Edwards</td><td>Biden</td><td>Clinton</td><td>Obama</td></tr><tr align=center><td>14</td><td>Tracer Bullet</td><td>OUT</td><td>Dodd</td><td>Richardson</td><td>Gravel</td><td>Biden</td><td>Kucinich</td><td>Edwards</td><td>Clinton</td><td>Obama</td></tr><tr align=center><td>15</td><td>CRM114</td><td>OUT</td><td>Dodd</td><td>Gravel</td><td>Biden</td><td>Richardson</td><td>Kucinich</td><td>Edwards</td><td>Obama</td><td>Clinton</td></tr><tr align=center><td>16</td><td>kvrdave</td><td>OUT</td><td>Dodd</td><td>Gravel</td><td>Kucinich</td><td>Richardson</td><td>Biden</td><td>Obama</td><td>Clinton</td><td>Edwards</td></tr><tr align=center><td>17</td><td>flagstone</td><td>OUT</td><td>Dodd</td><td>Gravel</td><td>Biden</td><td>Edwards</td><td>Richardson</td><td>Kucinich</td><td>Clinton</td><td>Obama</td></tr><tr align=center><td>18</td><td>dick_grayson</td><td>OUT</td><td>Dodd</td><td>Gravel</td><td>Richardson</td><td>Biden</td><td>Edwards</td><td>Obama</td><td>Clinton</td><td>Kucinich</td></tr></table>
Venusian was eliminated at Biden's drop by JasonF (identical picks)

Last edited by kenbuzz; 02-02-08 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-03-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll kick this off with my picks:

Gravel - Biden - Dodd - Richardson - Kucinich - Edwards - Clinton - Obama
Old 05-03-07, 09:50 AM

In order, from first out to last out:

Kucinich
Dodd
Gravel
Richardson
Edwards
Biden
Clinton
Obama
Old 05-03-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

From first out to nominee:

Richardson
Dodd
Gravel
Biden
Kucinich
Edwards
Clinton
Obama
Old 05-03-07, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This note will also be copied to the "rules" listed above:

The eight candidates in this pool (plus Vilsack) represent all of the Democrats who have filed or announced their intent to file the necessary paperwork with the Federal Elections Commission (FEC) as of the kickoff date of this pool. Even if other candidates file FEC paperwork, they will not be a part of this pool.
Old 05-03-07, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Gravel - Dodd - Biden - Richardson - Kucinich - Edwards - Obama - Clinton
Old 05-03-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Gravel - Dodd - Kucinich - Richardson - Biden - Obama - Clinton - Edwards
Old 05-03-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dodd - Richardson - Biden - Kucinich - Gravel - Edwards - Obama - Clinton
Old 05-03-07, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Two notes: one, what about the Republican candidates? Looks to be just as interesting over there. And two, you can go ahead and get rid of your sig line at this point, kenbuzz.

All of you people picking Kucinich to drop out early forget the obvious -- Dennis Kucinich will never drop out. AFAIK, he's still running for the Democratic nomination from 2004. (He just scratched out the year on his stationary.)

In order: Dodd - Biden - Richardson - Gravel - Obama - Clinton - Kucinich - Edwards.
Old 05-03-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by NCMojo
All of you people picking Kucinich to drop out early forget the obvious -- Dennis Kucinich will never drop out. AFAIK, he's still running for the Democratic nomination from 2004. (He just scratched out the year on his stationary.)
I thought about that, but figured he may be tired of being a loser so often. He is a definite wild card in this type of pool.
Old 05-03-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I thought about that, but figured he may be tired of being a loser so often. He is a definite wild card in this type of pool.
I think his smokin' hot redheaded English wife only sleeps with Presidential candidates.

Old 05-03-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Then I would run.
Old 05-03-07, 02:02 PM

Dodd - Richardson - Biden - Gravel - Kucinich - Obama - Edwards - Clinton
Old 05-03-07, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk God

True. Kucinich has staying power - in order to marry up like he did, he must.
Old 05-03-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Two notes: one, what about the Republican candidates? Looks to be just as interesting over there. And two, you can go ahead and get rid of your sig line at this point, kenbuzz.

In order: Dodd - Biden - Richardson - Gravel - Obama - Clinton - Kucinich - Edwards.
I started a GOP thread, but with 10 or 11 candidates (depending on which site you read), there's still too much shake-out to start a pool at this point, IMO, do I deleted the thread. That, plus it's a lot of work. Maybe later this summer when the herd has thinned somewhat, but not now.

I'm leaving my .sig as it for a while, yet.

I'll have the picks updated in a moment, stand by.
Old 05-03-07, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mr and Mrs Kucinich
Old 05-03-07, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dodd-Biden-Gravel-Richardson-Edwards-Kucinich-Clinton-Obama
Old 05-03-07, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gravel - Dodd - Biden - Edwards - Richardson - Kucinich - Clinton - Obama

Edit: I swear I didn't see Vandelay's entry right above mine when I started.

Last edited by flagstone; 05-03-07 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-03-07, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still cant get over that Kucinich would want to be an astronaut if he wasnt a politician
Old 05-03-07, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dodd
Gravel
Biden
Kucinich
Richardson
Edwards
Obama
Clinton

Of the noteable and potentials, only Gore may actually declare, but he had better do it soon.

Last edited by Jason; 05-03-07 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-03-07, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by IMRICKJAMES
funny how you don't hear all over the news about Hillary throwing a tantrum about only having a G2 private jet to fly to San Diego, and not a G3. So she has the G2 fly away empty, has a G3 flown in and flies that to SD.

Way to represent the 'little people' out there. Oh, the poor downtrodden regular folk. I often cry myself to sleep dreaming about one day upgrading my G2 to a G3 just like Hill Dawg. Dare to dream...dare to dream

Way to represent changing your ways to better the environment too!

You might want to save the Hilary and Democrat-bashing for another thread, such as the Derby thread. It appears that this thread is supposed to be more fun.

Anyhow, I don't know when the cutoff is, but I'll go with:

Dodd - Biden - Gravel - Richardson - Obama - Edwards - Kucinich - Clinton

I'm really surprised with the Obama calls so far.
Old 05-04-07, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Anyhow, I don't know when the cutoff is, but I'll go with:

Dodd - Biden - Gravel - Richardson - Obama - Edwards - Kucinich - Clinton

I'm really surprised with the Obama calls so far.
Man, I hate you. Those are great picks. I admit that I was caught up in the Obama frenzy in my picks and I don't think he has a chance.

I do wish there were better people in it. I tend to think the best nominees are close to the opposite order you have.
Old 05-04-07, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I will say this: even if my picks are wrong (and they probably are), Clinton will not get the nomination.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.