Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Searching for a photo...

Old 04-30-07, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Searching for a photo...

Figured this would be the place to ask:

I'm hunting for a photo I saw on the news tonight (ABC) of an 8 year old boy accepting the American Flag at his father's funeral. I can't seem to find it. The boy's first name is Christian, and the last name I couldn't spell if I tried...it sounds like a name that could be Polish.

I believe the photographer's name is Aaron Thompson (at least, that's what it sounded like). Any help would be appreciated...it's a damn heartbreaking photo.

I guess I'll ask another question here so that there's a bit more to this thread:

When Bush gave his victory speech on board that ship a while back (perhaps it was "mission accomplished" instead of a victory?). What exactly was he referring to as mission accomplished? Was that Afghanistan?
Old 04-30-07, 10:27 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by harpo787
When Bush gave his victory speech on board that ship a while back (perhaps it was "mission accomplished" instead of a victory?). What exactly was he referring to as mission accomplished? Was that Afghanistan?
I heard it was primarily referring to the mission of the USS Abraham Lincoln being accomplished as it was returning home.

This seems as fair a summary as any...
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in580661.shtml

But as has been shown, it can be twisted to fit one's political agenda.
Old 04-30-07, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the mission accomplished thing was about the roaring success of the invasion of Iraq that Bush declared the war with Iraq to be over - which was said way back in 2003.
Old 04-30-07, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by X
I heard it was primarily referring to the mission of the USS Abraham Lincoln being accomplished as it was returning home.

Interesting...I was thinking that if it was after we entered Iraq that maybe it was mission accomplished for a specifically named mission, like "Shock & Awe" or one of those. But if that story is accurate about it being put up by the crew of the ship, well it would make sense and be accurate.

Still no word on that photo I asked about? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Old 05-01-07, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by X

In the initial version of the Bush's speech, the words "mission accomplished" were included. Rumsfeld of all people took out the phrase BUT not the sign.
In fact, Bush's words were "In the Battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed."
This was Bush in a flight suit doing a fly by victory lap on the USS Abraham Lincoln. It was all about symbolism and there was little that was unscripted that day.

Edit: OP, here is the photo from the first thing you asked about the little boy and the flag. It's very heartbreaking.
link

Last edited by chowderhead; 05-01-07 at 02:42 AM.
Old 05-01-07, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The speech on the Abraham Lincoln is also where Bush declared an end to major combat operations in Iraq. He also said "In the Battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed," and a month later told the trops at Camp As Sayliyah in Qatar "America sent you on a mission to remove a grave threat and to liberate an oppressed people, and that mission has been accomplished."

IMO, saying that the banner referred to the carrier's mission is after-the-fact spin.
Old 05-01-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Edit: OP, here is the photo from the first thing you asked about the little boy and the flag. It's very heartbreaking.
link

Shit, that made me get teary-eyed.

It's like the polar opposite of that video clip that was in the news a few weeks back about the little boy who was surprised in school by a visit from his father, returning from Iraq. That one made me cry, too. Don't have a link, but it's quite moving.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 05-01-07 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-01-07, 10:01 AM

Read it for yourself and decide http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...030501-15.html

Personally I took it to meant that this initial invasion of Iraq was over and now the hard part was going to begin, but everyone's spin on it seems to be based on their overall view of the war so draw your own conclusions.
Old 05-01-07, 11:26 AM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by nemein
Personally I took it to meant that this initial invasion of Iraq was over and now the hard part was going to begin, but everyone's spin on it seems to be based on their overall view of the war so draw your own conclusions.
I also took it as meaning that the major mission of invading Iraq was over. I didn't have an opinion on how hard the next part would be, but it certainly wasn't going to require as much military firepower as was needed for the invasion, such as that carrier whose mission certainly was accomplished.
Old 05-01-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is all I got....

Old 05-01-07, 11:46 AM

I didn't have an opinion on how hard the next part would be
I did, but then I've always known/suspected that the admin was underselling what was going to be required before we could leave Iraq.
Old 05-02-07, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is this it?

-p
Old 05-02-07, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X

Ah, yes, the spin. Here was a banner paid for by the White House -- designed by the White House -- hell, Rumsfeld even admitted it, saying, "I was in Baghdad, and I was given a draft of that thing to look at. And I just died, and I said my God, it's too conclusive. And I fixed it and sent it back… they fixed the speech, but not the sign." And it was the Navy's idea to hang a giant red, white and blue banner saying MISSION ACCOMPLISHED directly behind the President's podium -- because that's what the Navy does all the time... make giant banners to hang on their ship every time they accomplish a personal milestone...

Old 05-02-07, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

My friend at work who likes to constantly complain that Clinton was impeached "simply because he got a blowjob" I like to tell him when he mentions the Mission Accomplished banner.. That Bush is demonized "simply because he hung up a sign". It really irritates him.
Old 05-02-07, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-u2ITs4yIAE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-u2ITs4yIAE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 05-02-07, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

“Now, there are some who would like to rewrite history... revisionist historians is what I like to call them.”