Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

American Idol raise's $60million for charity :) where does this REALLY go though?

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

American Idol raise's $60million for charity :) where does this REALLY go though?

Old 04-27-07, 06:36 PM

just a little curious here. You can't fault charity in the least bit, but is ALL this money going directly to those that need it most? I've read and heard from people here and there that some or even a lot of this money ends up in the hands of corrupt govt officials in some of those really poor african countries. How true is this? Are there any book, article etc. where I can read more on this subject?
Obviously a lot of charity is going to these countries to help fight AIDS, malnourishment etc. and this have improved but is the money getting in the wrong hands some or most of the time? thanks for any help.
Old 04-27-07, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk God

I think they go to purchase carbon credits from Al Gore's company. It's for the environment.
Old 04-27-07, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought they aren't actually giving money, but "classrooms in a box" type of stuff. That would keep it out of the corrupt foreign government's hands, but then raises the question of the corporations who make the products...
Old 04-27-07, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it really goes to pay for all of Sanjaya's hair cuts
Old 04-27-07, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Where else?

GEORGE SOROS!!!

Booga booga
Old 04-29-07, 05:06 PM

hmm...so anyone else have anything to add? im really curious more...
Old 04-29-07, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From the Idol Gives Back webpage:

Where the money goes -- USA
Where the money goes -- Africa