Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Articles of Impeachment To Be Filed on Cheney

Old 04-17-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Articles of Impeachment To Be Filed on Cheney

From a blog on the Washington Post:
[size=4]Articles of Impeachment To Be Filed On Cheney[/size=4]
By Mary Ann Akers | April 17, 2007; 10:09 AM ET

Looks like he's reached his boiling point.

Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio), the most liberal of the Democratic presidential candidates in the primary field, declared in a letter sent to his Democratic House colleagues this morning that he plans to file articles of impeachment against Vice President Dick Cheney.

Kucinich has made ending the war in Iraq the central theme of his campaign. He has even taken aim at the leading Democratic presidential candidates in the field for their votes on authorizing the war.

Article II, Section 4 of the Constitution gives Congress the authority to impeach the president, vice president and "all civil Officers of the United States" for "treason, bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors."

Sources tell the Sleuth that in light of the mass killings at Virginia Tech Monday, Kucinich's impeachment plans have been put on hold. There will be no action this week, they say.

Kucinich's office had no comment on the Congressman's "Dear Colleague" letter -- which apparently was drafted over the weekend, before the school massacre -- or on what the focus of articles of impeachment against Cheney would be.

But Kucinich shouldn't hold his breath on getting anywhere with his impeachment plan. "We'll see a Kucinich Administration before we'll see a Cheney impeachment," quipped one Democratic aide.

Here is the text of his letter, a copy of which was forwarded to the Sleuth:
April 17, 2007

Dear Colleague:

This week I intend to introduce Articles of Impeachment with respect to the conduct of Vice President Cheney. Please have your staff contact my office . . . if you would like to receive a confidential copy of the document prior to its introduction in the House.

Sincerely,

/s/

Dennis J. Kucinich

Member of Congress
I do wonder what specific charge Kucinich is going to file... assuming this isn't just a wild rumor. Even though there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of this passing... it will put some of the more progressive Democratic congressmen on the spot.
Old 04-17-07, 03:43 PM

This is a dream come true for the Republicans.
Old 04-17-07, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk God

I can't think of a dumber idea.
Old 04-17-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2
I can't think of a dumber idea.
Articles of Impeachment that name both the President and the Vice President.

Seriously -- I hope Pelosi and Hoyer are reading Kucinich the riot act right now, because this is the most politically tone deaf thing I have ever heard.
Old 04-17-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm all for it.
Old 04-17-07, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

*hero*
Old 04-17-07, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF
Articles of Impeachment that name both the President and the Vice President.

Seriously -- I hope Pelosi and Hoyer are reading Kucinich the riot act right now, because this is the most politically tone deaf thing I have ever heard.
I bet they are too. I just wonder how effective they can be with a 'maverick' like Kucinich.

Yeah. At least the guy is honest and isn't out to swindle the electorate by criticizing policies they know are indispensable and have no intention, insight or courage to actually replace.
What kind of praise is that called?
Old 04-17-07, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Question: have members of the Bush Administration -- especially the President and Vice-President -- committed "high crimes and misdemeanors"?
Old 04-17-07, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by NCMojo
Question: have members of the Bush Administration -- especially the President and Vice-President -- committed "high crimes and misdemeanors"?
I don't believe that either the president or vice-president have. Other members of the administration might have; that includes a lot of people, of whom I'm ignorant of the vast majority.
Old 04-17-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Is incompetence a high crime or misdeanor?
Old 04-17-07, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's a requirement for political office.
Old 04-17-07, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why did he limit it to just Cheney? I don't get how Cheney is somehow more to blame than Bush for the situation. But neither are deserving of impeachment—they were both deserving of being resoundingly voted out of office in 2004, however.
Old 04-17-07, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NCMojo
"We'll see a Kucinich Administration before we'll see a Cheney impeachment,"
Actually, the only way we would ever see a Kucinich Administration is if he were to succeed in this.
Old 04-18-07, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess we're all assuming that the basis for the acts of impeachment would be some actions and/or events involving Cheney that are basically public knowledge - but maybe he knows something we don't.

Unless there is some hidden validation, I have to agree that this is pretty much a meaningless and useless road to travel at this time. (I totally depise the man and everything he stands for, but I don't see any valid reason or political value in Kucinich's plan.)