Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

VA Tech Shootings - Gun Control, Bush, all things politics

Old 04-16-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk God

VA Tech Shootings - Gun Control, Bush, all things politics

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vte...ing/index.html

Chief: At least 20 dead in campus shootings
POSTED: 12:32 p.m. EDT, April 16, 2007

(CNN) -- The Virginia Tech Police Chief said at least 20 people were killed in twin shootings on the Blacksburg campus Monday morning.

"Some victims were shot in a classroom," Chief Wendell Flinchum said, adding that the gunman was dead.

President Charles Steger called the shootings "a tragedy of monumental proportions."

A hospital spokeswoman told The Associated Press that 17 Virginia Tech students were being treated for gunshot wounds and other injuries. Sharon Honaker at the Carilion New River Valley Medical Center told CNN that four patients had been transported there, one in critical condition.

One person was killed and others were wounded at multiple locations inside a dormitory about 7:15 a.m., Flinchum said. Two hours later, another shooting at Norris Hall, an engineering building, resulted in multiple casualties, the university reported. (Watch police, ambulances hustle to the scene )

The first reported shooting occurred at West Ambler Johnston Hall, a co-ed dormitory that houses 895 students. The dormitory, one of the largest residence halls on the 2,600-acre campus, is located near the drill field and stadium.

Amie Steele, editor-in-chief of the campus newspaper, said one of her reporters at the dormitory reported "mass chaos."

The reporter said there were "lots of students running around, going crazy, and the police officers were trying to settle everyone down and keep everything under control," according to Steele.

Kristyn Heiser said she was in class about 9:30 a.m. when she and her classmates saw about six gun-wielding police officers run by a window.

"We were like, 'What's going on?' Because this definitely is a quaint town where stuff doesn't really happen. It's pretty boring here," said Heiser during a phone interview as she sat on her classroom floor.

Student Matt Waldron said he did not hear the gunshots because he was listening to music, but he heard police sirens and saw officers hiding behind trees with their guns drawn.

"They told us to get out of there so we ran across the drill field as quick as we could," he said.

Waldron described the scene on campus as "mayhem." (Watch a student's recording of police responding to loud bangs )

"It was kind of scary," he said. "These two kids I guess had panicked and jumped out of the top story window and the one kid broke his ankle and the other girl was not in good shape just lying on the ground."

Madison Van Duyne said she and her classmates in a media writing class were on "lockdown" in their classrooms. They were huddled in the middle of the classroom, writing stories about the shootings and posting them online.

The university is updating its 26,000 students through e-mails, and an Internet webcam is broadcasting live pictures of the campus.

The shootings came three days after a bomb threat Friday forced the cancellation of classes in three buildings, WDBJ in Roanoke reported. Also, the 100,000-square-foot Torgersen Hall was evacuated April 2 after police received a written bomb threat, The Roanoke Times reported.

After the Monday shootings, students were instructed to stay indoors and away from windows, police at the university said.

"A gunman is loose on campus. Stay in buildings until further notice. Stay away from all windows," read a warning from the university.

"Virginia Tech has canceled all classes. Those on campus are asked to remain where they are, lock their doors and stay away from windows. Persons off campus are asked not to come to campus," a statement on the university Web site said.

I don't know what to say.
Old 04-16-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk God

AP is now reporting at least 21 dead, 21 wounded.
Old 04-16-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

WTF? When did this happen?
Old 04-16-07, 12:42 PM
Admin-Thanos

Terrible, terrible news.
Old 04-16-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I work at a college, so this story just made the rounds. Jesus. Dont even know what to say.

2 hour period though, and at least 40+ shots fired? Nice quick response.
Old 04-16-07, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll post what I posted in the other thread:

This is terrible. Wish the gunman wasn't killed. I'd rather we feed him to a meat grinder.
Old 04-16-07, 12:46 PM
Admin-Thanos

Seeing as how there is already a thread in other about this,

please post in the existing thread in other.

It's also more general news rather than politics.

Closing.
Old 04-16-07, 03:18 PM
Admin-Thanos

REOPENED

Please use this thread for all things political concerning the VA Tech shootings. Any gun control issues, Bush reaction, whatever shouldn't be included in the general thread over in other.
Old 04-16-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm shocked there have been 8 posts and no one has blamed Bush. That's some sort of record for news stories, usually its his fault by the 4th or 5th post at the latest
Old 04-16-07, 03:25 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by IMRICKJAMES
I'm shocked there have been 8 posts and no one has blamed Bush. That's some sort of record for news stories, usually its his fault by the 4th or 5th post at the latest
All the Bush blaming happened in the thread in other. I think they've gotten it out of their system at this point.
Old 04-16-07, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by IMRICKJAMES
I'm just as shocked that it took 9 posts for someone to mention that they were shocked that no one blamed Bush in the previous posts.
Old 04-16-07, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i'll be watching the news just to see some idiots call for tougher gun laws
Old 04-16-07, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I blame the people who blame the people who blame the people who blame the people who blame Bush.
Old 04-16-07, 03:45 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy
i'll be watching the news just to see some idiots call for tougher gun laws
Hey, don't be so hard on the reporters and network anchors.
Old 04-16-07, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd like to see Grundle repost his "article" about how keeping guns off campus created an atmosphere for this tragedy.
Old 04-16-07, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know I'd have felt much more comfortable had I known all my fellow students were packing weapons while in college.
Old 04-16-07, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114
I know I'd have felt much more comfortable had I known all my fellow students were packing weapons while in college.
You would have been safer.
Old 04-16-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114
I know I sure wouldn't have felt safer if all my fellow students were, but I would feel safer if people who had passed gun safety classes and had concealed weapons permits (myself included) were allowed to carry.
Old 04-16-07, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

There was a shooting at a local mall not too long ago where someone carrying a concealed weapon shot the shooter before they killed someone. Since nobody got seriously hurt the story was buried with much haste within days. This story will get press for months and beyond (I'm sure Michael Moore is already warming up his cameras).
Old 04-16-07, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I know a few college mates that legally carry concealed weapons, they've complained about the logic behind no gun zones for quite a while and it does make sense. That said, theres was likely very little chance tighter gun control would have prevented the incident today, so whatever argument gets brewed up is going to have to be fairly convoluted.
Old 04-16-07, 04:41 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

All those signs saying that this was a weapons free university(or whatever) sure helped.
Old 04-16-07, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it is a complicated issue.

There are so many possibilites. Gun rights groups that want more people carrying tend to only play up the positives while anti-gun groups play up the negatives of that.

They both need to recognize that things easily can go either way.

But that being said, I most certainly would NOT have felt safer if many students on campus were carrying guns, particularly with all the drunks and high levels of stress.
Old 04-16-07, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was listening to either CNN or Fox News on the way home. They had a "school shooting expert" go on for a good 5 minutes about past events. He stated in many more words than this, that it wasn't IF video games caused this, it was which ones caused it..
Old 04-16-07, 05:41 PM

I wonder how long 'til a presidential candidate includes this story as part of their stump about X issue(s)
Old 04-16-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by John Galt
I know I sure wouldn't have felt safer if all my fellow students were, but I would feel safer if people who had passed gun safety classes and had concealed weapons permits (myself included) were allowed to carry.
I went to college in Happy Valley. It wouldn't be happy if even a quarter of the 50,000 students had guns. I'd assume that would mean many guns in dormitories in the hands of immature students. I tremble at the thought but I'm an old man now.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.