Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Jesse Jackson's & Al Sharpton's Racial Slurs

Old 04-10-07, 07:21 AM
Banned

Jesse Jackson's & Al Sharpton's Racial Slurs

Thought this might deserve a thread of its own, since Mr. Jackson & Mr. Sharpton have inserted themselves into the Imus idiocy.

It seems to me to be terribly inappropriate for Imus, who makes a living as a "talk-comedian" by insulting people, to make a public apology by appearing on Sharpton's radio show. Sharpton, of course, referred to Jews as "diamond merchants" (a racial code term) when speaking at a funeral. I'm a little sketchy on the details, but I believe that some of his remarks (either at the funeral or a rally at that time) were attributed to helping incite a riot (some of his followers in his presence were quoted as yelling "Kill the Jew") that resulted in at least one death. And that's not even mentioning the infamous Tawana Brawley fiasco in which Sharpton repeatedly defamed a white prosecutor by saying the man had kidnapped & raped a black girl (Sharpton & others were successfully sued by the man & had to pay damages). Sharpton, of course, refused to apologize.

And Jesse Jackson...he who referred to Jews as "Hymie" & called New York "Hymietown" (back during the days when he was a Presidential candidate). And Jackson is calling for Imus to be fired??? Did I miss Jackson making the talk show rounds apologizing?

Let's see...Sharpton & Jackson denigrate Jews with racial slurs. The consequence? They are rewarded with talk shows.

That's why I can't take Imus's "repentance" seriously. If he truly wanted to apologize for his racist remarks, he wouldn't do so by appearing on the talk show of a racist.

Let Imus apologize to C. Vivian Stringer & her team. Then let Thomas Sowell have a crack at him.

Just don't hold your breath waiting for similar confessions of sin (a term seemingly unfamiliar to the "right reverends") & apologies from those gassy old hypocrites who demand Imus' resignation (I couldn't care less what happens to the old piece of petrified wood...maybe he should go live with Larry King & they could be bookends).

Last edited by creekdipper; 04-10-07 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-10-07, 07:58 AM

couldn't agree more...

no idea why imus is doing all this...I dont even know who this guy is, but I know if my favorite morning dj did this I would be sickened...not by his comments, but by apologizing and selling out. Nothing he said was all that bad. White people have racism dealt on them almost daily, but nobody covers it.

what's more pathetic than all this is ESPN's relenting coverage of it all...it's womens college basketball...NO ONE WATCHES IT! THERES NO ONE AT THE GAMES, NO ONE WATCHING IT ON TV...NO ONE CARES!

Please just fucking stop espn...we get it, you can't afford the mens ncaa playoffs, so you get the the spoils...great...you can stop promoting the NCAA womens playoffs...enough is enough!
Old 04-10-07, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Creekdipper
That's why I can't take Imus's "repentance" seriously. If he truly wanted to apologize for his racist remarks, he wouldn't do so by appearing on the talk show of a racist.
I suggest you brush up on the difference between "racism" and "prejudice." There can BE NO racism without power. Period.

I am not defending Jackson or Sharpton, but the reverse-racism crap drives me crazy.
Old 04-10-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114
I suggest you brush up on the difference between "racism" and "prejudice." There can BE NO racism without power. Period.

I am not defending Jackson or Sharpton, but the reverse-racism crap drives me crazy.
What's "reverse-racism"?
Old 04-10-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Exactly what you see in the passage I quoted.
Old 04-10-07, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk God

what's more pathetic than all this is ESPN's relenting coverage of it all...it's womens college basketball...NO ONE WATCHES IT! THERES NO ONE AT THE GAMES, NO ONE WATCHING IT ON TV...NO ONE CARES!
Surely you jest.

There are a number of colleges and universities where the women's basketball outdraws the men.

Case in point - the Big 12 men's & women's tournament held this year in Oklahoma City.
Old 04-10-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What a load of shit! By your reasoning, I have no power over, for example, Jesse Jackson. Therefore, I can call him any hate filled, venomous, ignorant name(s) I want (I wouldn't want to, FYI), and of all the things I might be, I would not be a racist. Riiiiight. Nice try at limiting racism to whitey.
Old 04-10-07, 11:19 AM

Yes, the white man is horribly victimized in American society.
Old 04-10-07, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They are racial slurs by existing

I'll explain in this post later after work
Old 04-10-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Uh, well... you know I love you, man... but there's nothing in the definition of the word racism that implicitly connects it with power. Nor should it -- one can be racist and yet quite powerless (witness the popularity of the KKK among poor white people). And again by definition, anyone can be racist. Black people can be racist toward Jews, or Mexicans, or even white people. The Chinese can be quite racist toward the Koreans and the Vietnamese. Pakistanis can look down their noses at Afghanis, and so forth.

The only people that can't be racist are the Eskimos, and that's only because their language doesn't have any words for various ethnicities, mainly because they used up 227 of their very best words trying to describe snow.

Frickin' Eskimos.
Old 04-10-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shoveler
What a load of shit! By your reasoning, I have no power over, for example, Jesse Jackson. Therefore, I can call him any hate filled, venomous, ignorant name(s) I want (I wouldn't want to, FYI), and of all the things I might be, I would not be a racist. Riiiiight. Nice try at limiting racism to whitey.
You completely miss the point. Its no surprise.
Old 04-10-07, 11:33 AM

You completely miss the point. Its no surprise.
Enlighten me, please.
Old 04-10-07, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by NCMojo
Uh, well... you know I love you, man... but there's nothing in the definition of the word racism that implicitly connects it with power. Nor should it -- one can be racist and yet quite powerless (witness the popularity of the KKK among poor white people). And again by definition, anyone can be racist. Black people can be racist toward Jews, or Mexicans, or even white people. The Chinese can be quite racist toward the Koreans and the Vietnamese. Pakistanis can look down their noses at Afghanis, and so forth.

The only people that can't be racist are the Eskimos, and that's only because their language doesn't have any words for various ethnicities, mainly because they used up 227 of their very best words trying to describe snow.

Frickin' Eskimos.
A white person is not "powerless." A white person is a member of the white race who in America has held ALL the power for 300+ years. Again, racism and prejudice. Two very similar things but decidedly different.

By your very definition, racism presupposes superiority - I don't think Jackson calling someone a "himey" is assuming superiority. Merely prejudice.
Old 04-10-07, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by NCMojo
Frickin' Eskimos.
They're just a bunch of nappy haired mos.
Old 04-10-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw this in a CNN.com article this morning:

Appearing on Sharpton's show, U.S. Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, a Michigan Democrat and chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus, also raised the issue of chauvinism.

"I mean, who says 'hos' publicly?" she asked. "What is that? That is probably one of the most derogatory things any woman -- black, brown, yellow -- could even ever experience."

BWAHAHAHA!!!!! I am assuming by this stance that she has a history of going on talk shows and condemning hip hop artists who use that word. Yeah, probably not. That doesn't sell very well to the community she represents.
Old 04-10-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Yes, the white man is horribly victimized in American society.
That doesn't have much to do with being a racist.
Old 04-10-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by classicman2
Surely you jest.

There are a number of colleges and universities where the women's basketball outdraws the men.

Case in point - the Big 12 men's & women's tournament held this year in Oklahoma City.
... where the men's championship game drew 18,879 fans, and the women's game drew 12,413. For the entire tournament, the women drew 48,990 fans... in 2006 (can't find 2007) the men's tournament drew 109,608 fans.

It is absolutely true that the women's game is more popular in select locations -- Tennessee, perhaps Connecticut -- but nationally, it's just not the case. The 2007 men's basketball championship was watched by 7.3 million households... the women semifinal game (more popular than the championship) was watched by 1.7 million.

Old 04-10-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A white person is not "powerless." A white person is a member of the white race who in America has held ALL the power for 300+ years. Again, racism and prejudice. Two very similar things but decidedly different.

By your very definition, racism presupposes superiority - I don't think Jackson calling someone a "himey" is assuming superiority. Merely prejudice.
You're arguing against the "racial superiority as racism" definition, but ignoring the other definition for racism that I'd argue is the most common these days in the U.S.:

hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
Discrimination or prejudice based on race.
discriminatory or abusive behavior towards members of another race
In what ways do Jackson's and Sharpton's statements and behaviors not fall into those categories?
Old 04-10-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm merely arguing that racist is not the proper term to use. Racism without the power/superiority is not racism. Its prejudice. Feel free to disagree, I won't mind.

From Mojo's dictionary: "usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others." I don't think a black calling someone a honkey or a himey correlates to this definition. A white calling a black a ****** certainly does - it constitutes centuries of racist oppression.

Last edited by CRM114; 04-10-07 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-10-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How does anyone generalizing a group of people based on a negative stereotype not presuppose superiority?
Old 04-10-07, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm merely arguing that racist is not the proper term to use. Racism without the power/superiority is not racism. Its prejudice. Feel free to disagree, I won't mind.

From Mojo's dictionary: "usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others." I don't think a black calling someone a honkey or a himey correlates to this definition. A white calling a black a ****** certainly does - it constitutes centuries of racist oppression.
Um, yeah. Regardless of whether a person is in the majority or minority, it is possible for them to have "the idea that one's own race is superior ."

Quite frankly I think that the idea that only white people can be racist and other races merely prejudiced is about the most stupid fucking thing I have ever heard.
Old 04-10-07, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But you're selecting the definition that fits your point of view. One definition describes racism as prejudice. Why throw that one out?
Old 04-10-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
How does anyone generalizing a group of people based on a negative stereotype not presuppose superiority?
Example?
Old 04-10-07, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
But you're selecting the definition that fits your point of view. One definition describes racism as prejudice. Why throw that one out?
People can use terms however they like - I'm merely pointing out the flaws in doing so. Words often take on different meanings over time.
Old 04-10-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Example?
By your line of thought, if a "powerless" Asian says "Black are lazy," and the white guy next to him says, "Yeah," the Asian is showing prejudice and the white guy is racist. That's silly. They both are ascribing a negative stereotype meant to make the race seem inferior.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.