Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Don Imus' Racial Slurs

Old 04-09-07, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Don Imus' Racial Slurs

NEW YORK In the lead-up to Don Imus' appearance on his radio show Monday, Rev. Al Sharpton said the radio host should face consequences for his racially charged comments about the Rutgers University women's basketball team no matter what he says to defend himself.

"You could be the nicest guy in the world, and you should [still] be fired," Sharpton told Imus minutes into the radio appearance.

Earlier Monday, Imus continued apologizing for referring to the mostly black team as "nappy-headed hos."

"Here's what I've learned: that you can't make fun of everybody, because some people don't deserve it," he said on his nationally syndicated radio show Monday morning. "And because the climate on this program has been what it's been for 30 years doesn't mean it's going to be what it's been for the next five years or whatever."

Imus said he was "embarrassed" by the remarks, and that he had made the comments in the course of "trying to be funny."

"I'm not a bad person. I'm a good person, but I said a bad thing. But these young women deserve to know it was not said with malice," he said.

Imus said he hoped to meet the Rutgers players and their parents and coaches and said he was grateful that he was scheduled to appear later Monday on a radio show hosted by Sharpton, who has called for Imus to be fired over the remarks.

Don Imus to Appear on Al Sharpton's Radio Show Critics Call for Don Imus to Resign After Racial Comments Talk-Radio Host Don Imus Apologizes for On-Air Racial Slurs Against Rutgers Women's Basketball Team "It's not going to be easy, but I'm not looking for it to be easy," Imus said.

Sharpton has said he wants Imus fired and that he intends to complain to the Federal Communications Commission about the matter.

"Somewhere we must draw the line in what is tolerable in mainstream media," Sharpton said Sunday. "We cannot keep going through offending us and then apologizing and then acting like it never happened. Somewhere we've got to stop this."

Meanwhile, the Rev. Jesse Jackson planned a protest in Chicago, and an NAACP official called for the broadcaster's resignation or firing.

Jackson said his RainbowPUSH Coalition planned to protest Monday in Chicago outside the offices of NBC, which owns MSNBC. Jackson said protests were being planned across the country.

James E. Harris, president of the New Jersey chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, demanded Sunday that Imus "resign or be terminated immediately."

Allison Gollust, a spokeswoman for MSNBC, said the network considers Imus' comments "deplorable" and is reviewing the matter.

Karen Mateo, a spokeswoman for CBS Radio -- Imus' employer and the owner of his New York radio home, WFAN-AM -- said the company was "disappointed" in Imus' actions and characterized his comments as "completely inappropriate."

Imus made the now infamous remark during his show Wednesday.

The Rutgers team, which includes eight black women, had lost the day before in the NCAA women's championship game. Imus was speaking with producer Bernard McGuirk about the game when the exchange began on "Imus in the Morning," which is broadcast to millions of people on more than 70 stations and MSNBC.

"That's some rough girls from Rutgers," Imus said. "Man, they got tattoos..."

"Some hardcore hos," McGuirk said.

"That's some nappy-headed hos there, I'm going to tell you that," Imus said.

Imus also apologized on the air Friday, but his mea culpa has not quieted the uproar.

On Monday, Imus pointed to his involvement with the Imus Ranch, a cattle farm for children with cancer and blood disorders in Ribera, N.M. Ten percent of the children who come to the ranch are black, he said.

"I'm not a white man who doesn't know any African-Americans," he said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,264946,00.html

I agree, a bad comment. But for Al Sharpton to call for someone's head...I mean, if this guy faced consequences every time he said something equally offensive, he wouldn't be around anymore.

Last edited by ukywyldcat; 04-09-07 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-09-07, 02:22 PM
Admin-Thanos

Link and comment by the OP are usually required here.
Old 04-09-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by VinVega
Link and comment by the OP are usually required here.
Sorry, had gone back and put comment while you were putting comment. Will put a link, too.
Old 04-09-07, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On Monday, Imus pointed to his involvement with the Imus Ranch, a cattle farm for children with cancer and blood disorders in Ribera, N.M. Ten percent of the children who come to the ranch are black, he said.

"I'm not a white man who doesn't know any African-Americans," he said.

Like that makes it OK. What an idiot.
Old 04-09-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't put into words how much I despise "outrages" like this, and I'm not talking about what Don Imus said. If any of you want to hear him being strung up on Al Sharpton's "radio show" as the guest right now, go here:

http://www.sharptontalk.net

A woman and Sharpton was just totally digging into Imus just as they've been doing to him since he came onto the show, not letting him catch a break or get a word in hardly at all, and Imus said "I just can't cat get a word in with you people", or something along those lines, and Sharpton and the woman started the "RABBLE, RABBLE RABBLE, YOU PEOPLE!?" deal, just as you would expect.

This entire thing is just retarded.

This is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. Most people who are "outraged" are just the people who heard the comment in passing, they heard that some radio guy called a bunch of female black basketball players "nappy headed hoes", and they decided to pile on it. Most have never heard of the show, and many haven't even ever heard of Don Imus before in their life.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 04-09-07 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-09-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's outrageous what these right-wingers spew on ther hate-filled radio shows.
Old 04-09-07, 02:40 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Nazgul
I'm guessing this is sacrasm, yes?

Imus is an equal opportunity insulter. Just about everything he says is tongue in cheek. I do enjoy his show, but his last comment in the exchange with Bernie was over the line.
Old 04-09-07, 02:40 PM
Suspended

Looks like I posted this as well so I deleted it.

Anyway, can white women have "nappy" hair? The reason I say this, is because I see white trash women looking like this, only it's an Indigo Bohemian look.

Second, can white women be "hoes"?

In order to determine whether a statement is racist, it should only apply to that particular race. Right? Like the N***er word. But in this case, I don't think it was racist. It can be applied to a variety of different people.

It was a crude remark, but was not racist.

Unless someone can point something out to me which I missed.

Also, if Imus apologized, shouldn't his apology count just as much as his initial statement? I seem to see a double-standard.

Jackson said his RainbowPUSH Coalition planned to protest Monday in Chicago outside the offices of NBC, which owns MSNBC. Jackson said protests were being planned across the country.

James E. Harris, president of the New Jersey chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, demanded Sunday that Imus "resign or be terminated immediately."

It's like these guys WISH for white folk to say something just to give them a reason for having "organizations".

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 04-09-07 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-09-07, 02:43 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by ukywyldcat
Sorry, had gone back and put comment while you were putting comment. Will put a link, too.
Thanks.
Old 04-09-07, 02:44 PM
Retired

I've never heard anyone other than blacks called "nappy haired". Hoes is a bit more universal, but putting two and two together it was clearly a remark about them being rough looking, black girls.

Way over the line IMO, and he deserves the flack he gets for it. We have free speech, but that goes both ways. He said it now he has to deal with peoples reactions to it...including potentially his employers.
Old 04-09-07, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I've never heard anyone other than blacks called "nappy haired". Hoes is a bit more universal, but putting two and two together it was clearly a remark about them being rough looking, black girls.

Way over the line IMO, and he deserves the flack he gets for it. We have free speech, but that goes both ways. He said it now he has to deal with peoples reactions to it...including potentially his employers.
I am white and have been called nappy headed because I used to have an afro.
Old 04-09-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nazgul
uh... Imus is a committed liberal Democrat. Thanks for the generalization though.

And if you know anything about his history behind the scenes while he was at NBC, he has been openly racist towards black people he's worked with (calling them "n-word" to their faces).
Old 04-09-07, 02:52 PM
Suspended

I think Nazgul was kidding.
Old 04-09-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I think Nazgul was kidding.
When kidding about something like that, it's customary to add a stupid little laughing face or smiley face at the end of the post. No?
Old 04-09-07, 02:57 PM
Suspended

But using a little stupid face ruins the post. If you get it, you get it. If you don't, then you post about it and have to be informed by someone who does get it.

If I'm wrong, then well, slap me silly so my hairstyle can be a masterpiece of talkative cultural ideology.
Old 04-09-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
If I'm wrong, then well, slap me silly.
Can I slap you silly anyway?
Old 04-09-07, 02:59 PM
Suspended

Nope.
Old 04-09-07, 03:09 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
I am white and have been called nappy headed because I used to have an afro.

Then it was used because you had hair like a black person--i.e. an afro.
Old 04-09-07, 03:33 PM
Suspended

I have a feeling he's going to have to resign. In no way can this really be spun into a good light.
Old 04-09-07, 03:39 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Racial joke removed

This whole thing is stupid. Imus should have Sharpton on his show with a roughed up white girl and then say a bunch of black men raped her.

mod warning - You should know better bhk

Last edited by VinVega; 04-09-07 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-09-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bhk
Racial joke removed

This whole thing is stupid. Imus should have Sharpton on his show with a roughed up white girl and then say a bunch of black men raped her.

mod warning - You should know better bhk
What in the fuck.

Do you think that a thread about a talk-show host saying something offensive somehow gives you grounds to start telling racist jokes? That's just incredibly racist.

Last edited by VinVega; 04-09-07 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-09-07, 04:12 PM
Suspended

How do you stop a white dude from jumping on your bed? Attach meth caplets to the ceiling.
Old 04-09-07, 04:14 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NCMojo
What in the fuck.

Do you think that a thread about a talk-show host saying something offensive somehow gives you grounds to start telling racist jokes? That's just incredibly racist.

You'd be a natural in the huge(and getting bigger by the day) "I'm offended" industry.
Old 04-09-07, 04:24 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Then it was used because you had hair like a black person--i.e. an afro.

Not really. Nappy headed is a characteristic of hair, not of race.

Imus was making a joke. Al Sharpton *is* a joke.
Old 04-09-07, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Not really. Nappy headed is a characteristic of hair, not of race.
I usually think of "hippies" first if someone mentions nappy hair.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.