Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Why Is THe "Right" Media Giving Rosie O. Attention?

Old 03-31-07, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Why Is THe "Right" Media Giving Rosie O. Attention?

I'd like to know why Fox News is giving Rosie O. so much media attention. I think Rosie is a piece of crap in every way possible, but she does have the right to speak her mind. I think "The View" is on it's way out anyway because Rosie has become so extreme and shows her hatred rather blatantly.

But could all the attention Rosie is getting from the seemingly irritated Right Media actually keep her on the air waves longer?

Fox News is saying Rosie should be fired from ABC, but I think this would be a terribly wrong idea and sends the wrong message.
Old 03-31-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why does anyone give her attention is a better question. Why is she on The View? Why does she have her own thread?
Old 03-31-07, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

because she's hot
Old 03-31-07, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Probably because she reaches a very large audience of people that are easily influenced.
Since when do we refer to Fox News as "she?"
Old 03-31-07, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Goldblum
Why does anyone give her attention is a better question. Why is she on The View? Why does she have her own thread?
Well, don't crap on me.

It's Fox News who's paying more attention to her than anyone. I was just curious as to anyone who is "conservative" to respond to why would their favorite news channel needs to focus so much on the fat idiot. I think she's revolting but they really should just try and prevent themselves from commenting on her during every hourly newscast.
Old 03-31-07, 09:10 PM

They showed a clip on "The Soup" this weekend of a guy on Fox ranting about Rosie. Which is fine, I guess, except he was the weather man.
Old 03-31-07, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

My only problem with her is that she has too many opinions - far more than warranted given her intellect.

And yes, all I know about her I've seen on FN.

Other than that, I really don't see why there is a need to insult or call her names.
I just noticed I called her a F*t I***t.
Old 03-31-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My only problem with her is that she has too many opinions - far more than warranted given her intellect.
Lots of people have opinions that are not warranted by their intellect. It's what this subforum is built on.

I don't really care about Rosie's opinions, so I don't watch the View. If outlets like Fox News would stop covering her and instead cover important things, then she could spout her opinions all day long and I would never have to hear them.
Old 03-31-07, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't watch Rosie and rarely watch Fox, but my suspicion would be that FoxNews selects what almost anyone would consider "extreme in their views", but that lean (fall over?) to "the left", and then use those people as representative of what "the left agenda" is all about. "The left" doesn't necessarily agree with Rosie, but it helps solidify the Fox viewers that "the left" is totally extreme and wacko. Similar to a Straw Man scenario (but with Rosie it's a stuffed pig).
Old 03-31-07, 09:36 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Bronkster
I don't watch Rosie and rarely watch Fox, but my suspicion would be that FoxNews selects what almost anyone would consider "extreme in their views", but that lean (fall over?) to "the left", and then use those people as representative of what "the left agenda" is all about. "The left" doesn't necessarily agree with Rosie, but it helps solidify the Fox viewers that "the left" is totally extreme and wacko. Similar to a Straw Man scenario (but with Rosie it's a stuffed pig).

And for the record, Rosie is a blowhard.
Old 03-31-07, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Simple... the "right" has been in power for six years and fucked up everything they've touched.

They have to divert attention away from the mess they've made (and it's either that, or accept responsibility for all of the mistakes they've made), so they throw hissy fits every time some liberal Hollywood type says anything that pisses them off. Misdirection and transference.
Old 04-01-07, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Simple... the "right" has been in power for six years and fucked up everything they've touched.

They have to divert attention away from the mess they've made (and it's either that, or accept responsibility for all of the mistakes they've made), so they throw hissy fits every time some liberal Hollywood type says anything that pisses them off. Misdirection and transference.
Um... yeah.
Old 04-01-07, 01:16 AM
X
Administrator

MSNBC has been giving her a huge amount of attention as well. I see it there during normal newscasts, not even just opinion shows.

Pound for pound every bit as much as FOX as far as I've seen.
Old 04-01-07, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's sad how one news channel initiates a behavior and then all of them join in--or I should say, jump in. Gangsta Newz.
Old 04-01-07, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Seems to me that Rosie gets better ratings getting talked about on FNC than on The View. FNC should welcome her presense because they do better yakking about her than they would otherwise do.
Old 04-01-07, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, you bring up a good point. Fox News has a high viewership because most of its viewers are liberal (Bill O'Reilly mentioned this stat on his radio show last week I think or the week before). Apparently, the same is true for The View. Most who watch her show are probably conservative.
Old 04-01-07, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I'd like to know why Fox News is giving Rosie O. so much media attention. I think Rosie is a piece of crap in every way possible, but she does have the right to speak her mind. I think "The View" is on it's way out anyway because Rosie has become so extreme and shows her hatred rather blatantly.

But could all the attention Rosie is getting from the seemingly irritated Right Media actually keep her on the air waves longer?

Fox News is saying Rosie should be fired from ABC, but I think this would be a terribly wrong idea and sends the wrong message.

True, everyone has the right to speak their mind, but that also means anyone has the right to challenge what has been said. I think a lot of times when people like Rosie, or celebrities in general...and a lot of politicians, say crazy statements criticism of that speech is often misinterpreted as trying to stop free speech. It works both ways. Freedom of speech gives you the right to say stupid things, but gives others the right to tell you that what you said was stupid.

Even though I believe this is pretty much like the whole Rosie/Trump feud I also believe Fox News is giving her more attention because her rantings are more political than ever. All this nonsense about the Patriot Act, 9/11, Iraq, Iran etc. It gets her attention, but ultimately I think its going to cost her in the long run.
Old 04-01-07, 04:16 AM
Premium Member

It's sad how one news channel initiates a behavior and then all of them join in--or I should say, jump in. Gangsta Newz.
Kinda like here. I didn't know this was something to talk about until this thread appeared.
Old 04-01-07, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fox News has a high viewership because most of its viewers are liberal
Old 04-01-07, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd like to know why Fox News is giving Rosie O. so much media attention.
Really, that's a mystery to you?

Well, here's another head-sctratcher for you:
Why in the midst of the Alberto Gonzales scandal is FOX News airing a special about Sandy Berger?
I think "The View" is on it's way out anyway
The month that Rosie O'Donnell joined The View (Sept 2006) the program had the highest total viewership the program has ever seen.
The show increased its viewers in the advertiser coverted women aged 18-49 demographic by one-third, and had its best ever November sweeps period ratings.
Old 04-01-07, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Count Dooku

Why in the midst of the Alberto Gonzales scandal is FOX News airing a special about Sandy Berger?
The real question is why up until now, Fox included, has no one at all covered the Sandy Berger story? It was news when it first broke for like a day and a half.

I mean come on, the man had secret documents in his pants!!!!

Can you imagine the news if Berger was associated with Bush and not Clinton?
Old 04-01-07, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think, the fascination/confusion over Rosie has to do with 2 things. 1. Up until she started to show, "her real colors", she was always seen as "nice". There were stories about how much of a pain in the ass she could be but the general public didn't believe those stories. But the truth soon came out... and it was ugly. 2. She seems like the most unhappy, miserable, intolerant, and judgmental person on earth when she's running her mouth. One would think she'd be a happy person what with finally coming out, having a nice family, and being rich but that's not the case with her. So people stop to listen to her like they would stop to watch a car wreck.

The View isn’t hurt by Rosie’s mouth because it gets viewers and Fox isn’t hurt because, as mentioned above, it can showcase a “Crazy leftwing nut who hates everyone and everything that doesn't synch with her views” to its conservative viewers and going, “See what The Left is really about?!”
Old 04-01-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Kind of like a number of people on this forum, huh? I won't mention party affiliation.

I found something I agree with Fox News on. Sandy Berger did get the 'sweetheart deal' of all time.
Old 04-01-07, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The month that Rosie O'Donnell joined The View (Sept 2006) the program had the highest total viewership the program has ever seen.
The show increased its viewers in the advertiser coverted women aged 18-49 demographic by one-third, and had its best ever November sweeps period ratings.
Well, I'd be surprised if Rosie lasts through summer. Extremism here and there is ok for ratings, but when you see it just about every single day, people tune out watch something else, and in relationship, it becomes a liability for ratings.
Old 04-01-07, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You increase that demographic and more November sweeps periods are a given. I really wish they would start measuring by something less sexually biased.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.