DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   If you were a Brit held by Iran, what would you do? If you were Britain? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/496623-if-you-were-brit-held-iran-what-would-you-do-if-you-were-britain.html)

kvrdave 03-29-07 12:10 PM

If you were a Brit held by Iran, what would you do? If you were Britain?

Didn't want to put this into the big Iran thread because I want to discuss just one issue.

If I were the girl being held, I think I would pull a Stockwell and slam my head into a table repeatedly. It would keep Iran from putting me on camera again, and it would scare them when I told them that I intended to tell the world I was tortured. They would be in a tough spot. They could kill me, but that would be just as bad for them.

If I was one of the men, I would also Stockwell myself to keep from being put on TV. Riskier for them, though.

Not sure what I would do if I were the government, but if I were a captive, I would wish the military decided what to do instead of the politicians.

You?

Kittydreamer 03-29-07 12:15 PM

I would pretend I was a witch and tell them that I'd cast an evil spell on them if they didn't let me go. I'm sure it wouldn't work but hey, they'd probably get freaked out and just shoot me.

classicman2 03-29-07 12:19 PM

I want to know if this thread is really necessary since there already is an existing thread on this subject. :)

kvrdave 03-29-07 12:20 PM

The comprehensive threads suck because no one new joins in, and there are always a dozen conversations going on.

And when the front page contains thread that haven't been posted in for over two days, I think you'll survive. :lol:

Edit. The front page goes back 9 days.

Bronkster 03-29-07 12:21 PM

I'd start puking up the ham sandwich I had earlier.

Seriously, as a member of the military, I would not cooperate. Might be different as a civilian.

One question I have about the Iranians making (presumably) the girl wear a scarf - isn't that forcing her to submit to their religion? If the Brits (or U.S.) did something like that to a muslim captive, wouldn't it cause outrage?

Bronkster 03-29-07 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
The comprehensive threads suck because no one new joins in, and there are always a dozen conversations going on.

Gotta agree there. The fact that I commented on any political thread is proof that kvrdave is right (in this one case only! :grunt: )

Dave99 03-29-07 12:47 PM

I don't think there is much they can do, they are just pawns in the game. Since everyone knows this is just a political situation (and not a war one), I'd cooperate up to a reasonable point.

(of course they shouldn't have gotten themselves captured in the first place, but that's a whole other story)

CRM114 03-29-07 01:00 PM

I'd say "Can I have some fish and chips, chap?"

Red Dog 03-29-07 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by CRM114
I'd say "Can I have some fish and chips, chap?"

You should ask for Persian food. Delicious.

covenant 03-29-07 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Convert?

And bow to Persia? NEVER!
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:...b4025853ea.jpg

wendersfan 03-29-07 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
You should ask for Persian food. Delicious.

Never mind the fact that these days a typical Brit would probably prefer Chicken Tikka Masala to fish and chips... :)

Tracer Bullet 03-29-07 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Never mind the fact that these days a typical Brit would probably prefer Chicken Tikka Masala to fish and chips... :)

The fish, probably. The chips, not so much. Most of the Brits I hung out with ate them like they were going out of style.

nodeerforamonth 03-29-07 01:39 PM

If I was the UK, I'd sit down with Iran's leaders over milk and cookies. I would let them know that my feelings were hurt when they took my citizens. Once I let my feelings known, they would release them because they are caring, sensitive, righteous people.

dick_grayson 03-29-07 01:40 PM

I'd tornado kick the shit out of my captors and walk on out of there.

Red Dog 03-29-07 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan

Yeah - when I was in the UK last summer, it was funny seeing how many Indian restaurants there were.

JasonF 03-29-07 02:15 PM

Didn't want to put this into the big Iran thread because I want to discuss just one issue.

If I were the girl being held, I think I would pull a Stockwell and slam my head into a table repeatedly.

http://www.peoples.ru/art/cinema/act...tockwell_1.jpg

:hscratch:

They would get my name, rank, and serial number, as well as my demand to speak to a representative from the International Red Cross. Beyond that, I would keep my mouth shut and hope that my government could get me out of there.

CRM114 03-29-07 02:29 PM

:lol: I thought the same thing except I was thinking the Blue Velvet Stockwell.

http://www.lynchnet.com/bv/pics/bv087.jpg

Ranger 03-29-07 03:19 PM

If I were the girl being held, I think I would pull a Stockwell and slam my head into a table repeatedly. It would keep Iran from putting me on camera again, and it would scare them when I told them that I intended to tell the world I was tortured. They would be in a tough spot. They could kill me, but that would be just as bad for them.

If I was one of the men, I would also Stockwell myself to keep from being put on TV. Riskier for them, though.

Not sure what I would do if I were the government, but if I were a captive, I would wish the military decided what to do instead of the politicians.

You?

What, no prayer?

Is your faith in your God waning? :)

I guess I would be cooperative unless I was sure they'd kill me.

If I was the UK, I probably would get other countries (Not the uS!) to put pressure on Iran and make sure all the hostages are alive and kept alive.

kvrdave 03-29-07 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger
What, no prayer?

Is your faith in your God waning? :)

While not in the Bible, there is an old saying that has been around for a long time....God helps those who kick ass. Something like that.

Th0r S1mpson 03-29-07 04:08 PM

I'd write a letter to my country telling it to get out of Iraq and that I am being treated well, despite being forced to live under such an oppressive government.

Oh sorry, I though this was the "If you were a liberal in America what would you do" thread. :(

Nazgul 03-29-07 05:31 PM

Ask for a BLT over and over and over and over.

superdeluxe 03-29-07 05:35 PM

Get the SAS up in there.

http://www.eliteukforces.info/images/sas/sas-arwen.jpg

Jason 03-29-07 05:52 PM

So, basically, you would fradulently deform yourself in order to stir public opinion in your homeland against your captors, causing people to put pressure on the government for a military solution over a diplomatic one, possibly starting a war.

Nice.

Th0r S1mpson 03-29-07 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jason
So, basically, you would fradulently deform yourself in order to stir public opinion in your homeland against your captors, causing people to put pressure on the government for a military solution over a diplomatic one, possibly starting a war.

Nice.

I don't think he said he would do it to stir public opinion against his captors. I think he said he would do it to keep them from showing the images to begin with. This would keep Iran from using footage, staged or otherwise, to foster public opinion in their own direction.